Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #1
maxkhoon
maxkhoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Lightbulb What's next for Kindle e-reader?

What we all needed previously is coming back to Kindle Voyage,
(highest PPI, page turn buttons)

What features will trigger your next purchase/upgrade?

Some ideas,
  • water proof good but..irrelevant for me
  • flexible screen great but awkward when read lying down
  • color screen nah..irrelevant
  • bigger screen this means heavier, a no no for me
  • even higher PPI and lighter, font customisation etc. nah, too little improvement, skipping
  • eliminate black screen flash nope because it did not bother me that much
  • eyeball movement (blinking twice maybe?) recognition oh oh I love this very much, my device bezel/border will look cleaner

Guess for me, only a flexible screen will make me ditch my Kindle Voyage.

What is your preference fellow Kindle users?
maxkhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkhoon View Post
Do you actually have a Kindle Voyage? If so, I would love to read a short review from someone who's used one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have a K4S and as long as it's functional, only two things will get me to upgrade -- waterproofing and a flexible screen; and both features must be present, not just one of them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Ocicat
Groupie
Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ocicat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Librie,PRS900,950,K4, KT, PW1&2, KV
. Sharper text always important to my eyes

. Choice of multi-fonts

. Look and feel of the 7" Sony PRS950 hardware, my all-time favorite
Ocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A few things might get me to maybe be interested in the Kindle and they would be...

ePub
No silly forced wide margins
No silly forced wide line height
Being able to sideload my choice of fonts
Being able to control collections from the computer without jailbreaking
No more Mobi
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 02:08 AM   #6
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkhoon View Post
What we all needed previously is coming back to Kindle Voyage,
(highest PPI, page turn buttons)

What features will trigger your next purchase/upgrade?

Some ideas,
  • water proof good but..irrelevant for me
  • flexible screen great but awkward when read lying down
  • color screen nah..irrelevant
  • bigger screen this means heavier, a no no for me
  • even higher PPI and lighter, font customisation etc. nah, too little improvement, skipping
  • eliminate black screen flash nope because it did not bother me that much
  • eyeball movement (blinking twice maybe?) recognition oh oh I love this very much, my device bezel/border will look cleaner

What is your preference fellow Kindle users?
I want it all! Color, flexible, bigger, lighter, sharper, much more adjustable and durable.. but I love my ereaders so I will most likely upgrade if only some of these are included in any new models.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Bringing back improved landscape mode support. With the PW2 only the actual ebook-display is available in landscape mode but neither the home screen nor the web-browser. - K3 could do this.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
The only thing I think I would love would be color e-ink, but I don't expect there to be an adequate version for years. With the steadily increasing resolution and contrast of the black and white ones, we are all spoiled. Perhaps there will be some software improvements that would be interesting. I don't have a good enough imagination to think what those might be.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
guspasho
Connoisseur
guspasho began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Being able to control collections from the computer without jailbreaking
You still can't do this? Jeez. It's so hard to keep track of large collections on the device. Whenever I finish a book I pretty much have to go to Calibre to decide what to read next.
guspasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #10
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A few things might get me to maybe be interested in the Kindle and they would be...
So you'd basically like them to make it like the other ereaders that are not as successful as the Kindle.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
So you'd basically like them to make it like the other ereaders that are not as successful as the Kindle.
I'd like to make it as simple as Sony made it. Sony and Calibre worked flawlessly to manage collections. In fact, it is so simple that all I had to do was change the series and/or tag and when I plugged in the Sony, it changed it if the eBook was on the Reader. It is just so simple and works so well. Kobo work with Calibre to manage collections though not nearly as easy as Sony. But at least it works. Amazon just doesn't work one bit without a jailbreak. Also, with Amazon, ther eis a chance that if you create collections with the WiFi off and later turn on WiFi that your collections could possibly be lost. The eBooks won't vanish, but your nicely organized collection could.

The Kindle (IMHO) is just too simple. It gives almost no useful settings for the reader. You have wide margins and wide line height and the smallest settings are too big. Then other settings are just really off-the-mark and too big for most people. he last ones being too big for everybody.

Then there is the really dumb idea of having publisher fonts off by default. Let the reader decide if he/she wants to see the embedded fonts or not. But unless there is a note in large unfriendly (they have to be hostile to make the point) letters about the embedded font(s), not many will check to see if there are embedded fonts.

The Kindle hardware is mostly not an issue (bring back the memory card slot). Just the software is. It's too simplistic with poor settings for what options there are. Cecelia (sp?) is a poor choice for the default font. It looks almost like a variable width Courier.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #12
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I'd want it to have as many customization options as the Moon+Reader currently does.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM   #13
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
A flexible screen would be a big deal. I don't mean flexible as in something you could fold up - I'm not looking for my Kindle to be Gumby. But what a flexible screen would do would allow the screen to flex without breaking. It would leave the screen less fragile, and allow the device to be lighter, since it doesn't need the support to prevent the screen from flexing.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
A flexible screen would be a big deal. I don't mean flexible as in something you could fold up - I'm not looking for my Kindle to be Gumby. But what a flexible screen would do would allow the screen to flex without breaking. It would leave the screen less fragile, and allow the device to be lighter, since it doesn't need the support to prevent the screen from flexing.
Exactly

Quote:
I'm not looking for my Kindle to be Gumby.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #15
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
1- Color
2- Big screen.
3- Nothing more.
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote