Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #106
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I would like to be able to use it on my iPad 1.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #107
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would like to be able to use it on my iPad 1.
Hello,
Unfortunately you will not be able to run v7.0 of the application on your iPad 1st generation. v7.0 of the application requires iOS 7 (or later), which is not supported on the iPad 1st Generation, I believe the maximum iOS version supported by the 1st Generation iPad is 5.1.1

I believe the latest version of the app you could upgrade / install would be v6.0, as that supports iOS 5.0 or later. Version 6.1 and 6.2 of the app require iOS 6.1 or later.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #108
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
Hello,
Unfortunately you will not be able to run v7.0 of the application on your iPad 1st generation. v7.0 of the application requires iOS 7 (or later), which is not supported on the iPad 1st Generation, I believe the maximum iOS version supported by the 1st Generation iPad is 5.1.1

I believe the latest version of the app you could upgrade / install would be v6.0, as that supports iOS 5.0 or later. Version 6.1 and 6.2 of the app require iOS 6.1 or later.
Sorry for the ignorant question, but could someone guide me through the steps to install the Kobo v6.0 version? I am on iOS 5.1.1 (and it says iOS is up to date).

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #109
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry for the ignorant question, but could someone guide me through the steps to install the Kobo v6.0 version? I am on iOS 5.1.1 (and it says iOS is up to date).

Thanks.
It should simply be a case of going into the App Store app on the iPad and then search for "Kobo" and it should display the app. Tap on the item and it should allow you to install it. If it displays v7.0 of the app then it will alert you that your iOS version does not support this version of the app, but you can download the last compatible version for your device. Tapping the download button should then download the app.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #110
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It should simply be a case of going into the App Store app on the iPad and then search for "Kobo" and it should display the app. Tap on the item and it should allow you to install it. If it displays v7.0 of the app then it will alert you that your iOS version does not support this version of the app, but you can download the last compatible version for your device. Tapping the download button should then download the app.
When I try to install thru through the App Store:

1) It Asked for my Apple password
2) I type it in and hit Ok
3) An Icon appears on the home screen, and it looks like it is trying to install
4) A message box pops up and says "This application requires iOS 7.0 or Later. You must update to IOS 7.0 in order to download and use this application.", and there is an OK button (no other options).
5) I tap on the OK button. The Icon is gone.

So what am I missing?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #111
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
When I try to install thru through the App Store:

1) It Asked for my Apple password
2) I type it in and hit Ok
3) An Icon appears on the home screen, and it looks like it is trying to install
4) A message box pops up and says "This application requires iOS 7.0 or Later. You must update to IOS 7.0 in order to download and use this application.", and there is an OK button (no other options).
5) I tap on the OK button. The Icon is gone.

So what am I missing?
I have just tried installing the app on an iPhone 3GS running 5.1.1 here is what I saw:

1. Find Kobo Books app in App Store and tap install
2. Enter Apple ID password
3. Kobo icon appears on home screen of phone and attempts to install
4. A dialog appears stating "Download an older version of this app? The current version requires iOS 7.0 or later, but you can download the last compatible version." Buttons are Cancel and Download (highlighted button is Download)
5. Tapping Download returns me to the home screen and the app downloads.

I'm wondering if the iPad is doing something different. I'm just charging one of my 1st gen iPads to see what happens, the behaviour between iPhone and iPad should be the same however.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #112
Sharkus
Evangelist

I've just tried the same thing on my 1st gen iPad running iOS 5.1.1 and I see the same results as I did for the iPhone, ie; it prompts me to download the last compatible version.

Have a read of this Apple support document. It seems that you need to use the "Purchased" option in the App Store app, which should list the Kobo app, and then download it from there. Seemingly if you search for the app and try and download it through the search results, it could cause the problem you are seeing (even though I didn't see that issue).

I can say for certain that we have NOT disabled any older versions of the app - I'd likely be the person to go in and make that change - and as mentioned above, can confirm I was able to download a fresh copy of v6.0 on an iPad 1st gent and iPhone 3GS, both running iOS 5.1.1

Last edited by Sharkus; 01-23-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:33 PM   #113
John F
Grand Sorcerer

It was not available in the Purchased tab. I had to first install it on my iphone, and than it showed up in the purchased tab on the ipad and I was able to install it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #114
Sharkus
Evangelist

Kobo v7.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
1. A new Home screen featuring your recent reading activity and monthly stats.

2. Easier access to key terms, author info and public notes directly from your book’s menu.

3. Expanded support for books and magazines with built-in media, such as graphics and videos.

Note: This version of the application requires iOS 7.0 or later. If you do not have iOS 7 then you are still able to continue to use, or download (if you do not have it) version 6.2 of the application
_
Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #115
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

What's New
1. A new Home screen featuring your recent reading activity and monthly stats.

2. Easier access to key terms, author info and public notes directly from your book’s menu.

3. Expanded support for books and magazines with built-in media, such as graphics and videos.
After a very quick look, I like the changes. The home page works a lot like on the e-ink readers. The stats page looks good. It has a little to much pink for my taste. But, I guess that would change if I read something other than books.

One thing, which I think I mentioned before: How do I tell if a book is a preview in the library? On the home page, it has "Preview" at the bottom of the tile. But, I can't see any difference in the library view. And opening the details doesn't show anything. It doesn't even have a way to buy the book! When I first looked, I didn't notice the "preview" on the home page and it was only when I opened and read to the end that there was any indication that the book was a preview.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #116
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
After a very quick look, I like the changes. The home page works a lot like on the e-ink readers. The stats page looks good. It has a little to much pink for my taste. But, I guess that would change if I read something other than books.

One thing, which I think I mentioned before: How do I tell if a book is a preview in the library? On the home page, it has "Preview" at the bottom of the tile. But, I can't see any difference in the library view. And opening the details doesn't show anything. It doesn't even have a way to buy the book! When I first looked, I didn't notice the "preview" on the home page and it was only when I opened and read to the end that there was any indication that the book was a preview.
Thanks for the feedback.

We did used to have an icon on the book cover to indicate weather it was a preview, plus a bookmark icon to indicate the book was being read.

To provide a cleaner look to the library, both of these were removed. Currently the only ways to see if a book is a preview is to either go to the "Want to Read" collection / shelf, which contains only previews, or go to the home page, which will indicate it's a preview.

As for buying a book, you are correct, there is nowhere in the app that makes any reference to the ability to purchase a book, be it a price, or where you can get the book. This is due to changes enforced by Apple a while ago that requires you to use the In App Purchase system if you wish to sell specific content within the application. If you don't use IAP for purchasing you cannot have anything in your app that provides a mechanism to purchase, or mention how / where to purchase.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #117
Sharkus
Evangelist

Post Kobo v7.2.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

Kobo v7.2.1 for iOS is now available in the App Store

What's New
v7.2.1
Addresses an issue where the app would sometimes fail to successfully launch, displaying only a blue screen.

v7.2
1. A brand new Themes feature to customize your Library and Home screen, including time-based themes that subtly change throughout the day.

2. Two new reading themes to choose from: try Cyan for a cool blue tone, or Charcoal for a darker experience that’s not quite as black as Night.

3. Overall performance improvements, and bug fixes for crashes happening with particular books.

4. Improved support for read-along books, page breaks, and more.

Note: This version of the application requires iOS 7.0 or later. If you do not have iOS 7 then you are still able to continue to use, or download (if you do not have it) version 6.2 of the application
_

Last edited by Sharkus; 05-02-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #118
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I've just opened the Kobo app on my girls' iPad, and put in some kids books I've downloaded for them. However, some of my own books appear, and I want to remove them from the home screen. But then it warns me I'm going to remove them from the Cloud and the library. I just want only the books I've selected to appear on this particular device, as we're using my account on my device and theirs, but it seems as though this isn't possible. I'm sure it used to be straight forward.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:53 AM   #119
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I just tried this and the prompt has three options: "from Library", "from Device" and "Cancel". Choosing the latter should do what you want.

The other way to try is on the Kobo site. For the e-ink devices, removing the books from the "I'm Reading" list will prevent them being put on the devices. I assume this works with the iOS app, but I haven't tried.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #120
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
This is on the home screen of the iPad app. It's got books which aren't currently downloaded to the app, but are in the cloud. I would like them to go away from the home screen, but it doesn't seem to let me.

Even in the library, I can't seem to make it show me the books that are downloaded, more clearly than the books which are still in the cloud.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote