Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
frank14612
Connoisseur
frank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litterfrank14612 doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch with Glow-light
Question Is there a good reason to use Atlantis WP over OO with writer2epub extension?

I have just tried both Apache OpenOffice with the writer2epub extension (both free) and the trial version of Atlantis Word Processor ($35USD) to create a long document and then convert it to an epub. The document contains paragraph numbering, indentation, and lots of embedded screenshots. The output files when viewed in ADE and Calibre look (to my eye) exactly the same, that is, excellent.

Is there a basic or major reason, which I'm not seeing, that I should consider buying AWP when the free OO seems to do the job for me just as well?

I appreciate any input.

Frank D
frank14612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
To each its own. I can't really work with OO, the menu's and so on are not logical to me and there are other reasons. I also tried AWP. It is small, it works very well.
Then again, I use Word. I really like those ribbons. It took about a week to get used to it, but now it is very logical and easy. I now some people hate them, but that's fine.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
To each its own. I can't really work with OO, the menu's and so on are not logical to me and there are other reasons. I also tried AWP. It is small, it works very well.
Then again, I use Word. I really like those ribbons. It took about a week to get used to it, but now it is very logical and easy. I now some people hate them, but that's fine.
I agree that each word processor has its own peculiar shortcuts and menu items, but I use so few of them in making my document that it's not really a problem. The only reason I would hesitate to use AWP is that it costs $35 while Apache OO is free.

Is there any feature, function or benefit that would justify laying out money for AWP while OO is free? If not I'll just go along with OO.

(I apologize in advance for the following rant) The ribbon in Word leaves me searching for the most common commands and hating it because it is SO STUPID!!! It's like everything is written in big cutesy letters on the wall with crayons.

Frank
Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the most common commands are easy accesible in the ribbon, but again, to each its own... AWP gives good results, is small (really small compared to OO and MS Office) and has some distinct features, not present in other word processors in my knowledge. Its quote handling is superb for example.

I don't use it, but then again I can buy MS Office for only $13.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Hi Frank,

I use AWP since about one year now and what Toxaris has said is true: it is a very small, fast and overall, a nice app. I use it nearly exclusively for converting doc to epub file format: it does it very well.

Frank, I suggest you to test awp for a month; in the meantime just google it (full name) and you'll find a good deal for it ($10). It's what I did and don't regret for a second.

@Toxaris

May I ask you where you can get MS Office for $13 (and which version)? This looks a good price !
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard

Really good... Home User Program from my work. Office 2013 Plus version.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Hi Frank,

<snip>I suggest you to test awp for a month; in the meantime just google it (full name) and you'll find a good deal for it ($10). It's what I did and don't regret for a second.
Arios, I did as you suggested, and have just acquired the full version of AWP for $10. That's just about as close to free as you can get for a full-fledged word processor and epub maker. Thank you!

Frank
Old 04-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frank you're fast!

Just a few comments I had no time to point out in my preceding post. AWP is unable to deal with tables and a macro language is also not available. So if you have a bunch of tables within one document, you should use another app, or do the coding by hand with Sigil for exemple, after the conversion. This is not a so big problem, but in some case, very annoying.

Anyway, if you have questions about awp, you can ask here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=48775&page=16

Usually responses are fast.

@ Toxaris

I've always wanted to visit the Netherlands and get a job there however, I imagine it would cost me more than $13
Old 04-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
frank14612
Connoisseur

Arios,

No, no tables for me in an epub. I know from experience that they don't fare too well, and I don't want to get too fancy for my own good. Macros would be good, but I'm guessing I won't have that many repetitive sequential operations to make it worthwhile anyway. Thanks for that link to the AWP thread on the forum. I'll probably be using it before long. As far as responses, yours have been pretty fast.

I'm finding now that AWP is a better medium for creating e-books than Apache Open Office with the writer2epub plugin, simply because when I apply vertical and horizontal spacing to my picture elements to align with text, it holds in the epub conversion, whereas with OO it does not. So you can add that feature as a very good reason for using AWP as far as my needs are concerned.

I hope our discussion has generated a bit of useful information for other beginners, like me, with epub creation.

Thanks again!

Frank
Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
I've always wanted to visit the Netherlands and get a job there however, I imagine it would cost me more than $13
Probably... It is an international company though. It is actually participating in the Microsoft Home User Program and any company can do that. At my previous company they also had this arrangement.
A lot of companies do it when they expect that you also do work from home.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
A lot of companies do it when they expect that you also do work from home.
So a mixed blessing, then.

Or, that's a high price to pay for a word processor.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank14612 View Post

I'm finding now that AWP is a better medium for creating e-books than Apache Open Office with the writer2epub plugin, simply because when I apply vertical and horizontal spacing to my picture elements to align with text, it holds in the epub conversion, whereas with OO it does not. So you can add that feature as a very good reason for using AWP as far as my needs are concerned.
I do use writer2xhtml (not writer2EPUB) with Apache OpenOffice and I have absolutely no problem with full screen image, floating images, small images of any kind for any kind of spacing. The fact that you do not succeed to do it does not imply that it is not possible.

So, please try to be just a little less assertive when you speak of things you do not really know. This is a very good reason.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Arios
A curiosus lector!

Hi Frank,

You're welcome, and it is always a pleasure to suggest solutions to someone motivated like you are.

I agreed with you W2ePub is a nice extension and L. Calcinai did his best to make it even more effective. But from him I do prefer MyTXT cleaner (not related to ePub).

Now about Writer2xhtml from E. Just. I think it is also a nice extension that I use very often. However the last (beta) update is dated from March 2012 and a little rejuvenation would not be bad at all.

Between the 2, I prefer the ouput of AWP: globally I find the codes cleaner and the conversion process quicker. But as I said, AWP has its limits (no tables) and frankly can't be compared with such a big (and great) word processor on which Writer2xhtml is based.

I hope you'll continue to share your opinions here; it is important to do so.

@ Toxaris

I was kidding a bit about the "$13 for MS Word" (but not about my wish to visit one day the Netherlands) .

I also do not really like the ribbon in Word 2007 and 2010 I know a bit: this not intuitive to me and this is why I use AOpenOffice predominantly in conjunction to AWP.

Last edited by Arios; 04-22-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
frank14612
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi Frank,
You're welcome, and it is always a pleasure to suggest solutions to someone motivated like you are.
Thank you.
Quote:
Between the 2, I prefer the ouput of AWP: globally I find the codes cleaner and the conversion process quicker. But as I said, AWP has its limits (no tables) and frankly can't be compared with such a big (and great) word processor on which Writer2xhtml is based.
I submitted my 41-page epub (created in AWP and containing over 200 screenshots and a TOC) to epubValidator and it was pronounced valid and clean. And it looks good too. For me, a long-time MS Word user, AWP is like an Word "extension" or a smaller subset of it that (for me) is ideally suited to generating epubs. I'm very glad you pointed me to it.
Quote:
I hope you'll continue to share your opinions here; it is important to do so.
I will do so. I don't wish to quash or tread on anyone else's opinions or feelings, but I think it's important that we all express ourselves civilly and freely.
Quote:
I also do not really like the ribbon in Word 2007 and 2010 I know a bit: this not intuitive to me and this is why I use AOpenOffice predominantly in conjunction to AWP.
With that I heartily concur.

Frank
Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
For replacing the Ribbon take a look at http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantis, awp, epub, publish, word