Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #121
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I hope you get 2 good ones, xendula. Good luck. I wonder if mine will be 3G too. I just called for the replacement today. It lists wi-fi on my order, but I still wonder considering they told you the wi-fi's are impossible to get this week. It'll be interesting to see.

I still don't understand the repair message you received on your screen. Seems strange. Did you ask them about it?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #122
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
My husband's wifi does list as "shipping soon" and lists as wifi on the order. We weren't told that he was getting a 3G or that it was impossible to get this week. My 3G replacement (bought 3G) has been shipped.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #123
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
My gut instinct is it's too soon for them to have received and turned around any but a very very few units (if any). How many people here who got replacements have actually shipped your original ones back? And how many of THOSE think Amazon has had a chance to unbox, inspect, and repackage it, and for it to arrive at another destination?

Unfortunately, the alternate explanation is that more units are continuing to come new off the line with major problems.
The China Syndrome! Lets see how many issues we've read multiple accounts on:
  • Severe discoloration and shadows on screen
  • Pin hole light due to specks of dust
  • 3G won't work
  • Completely dead or with error message showing
  • Ghosting worse than any other Kindle
  • Inconsistent text rendering

Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #124
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiegirl View Post
We weren't told that he was getting a 3G or that it was impossible to get this week. .
Same here. He never mentioned to me that the wi'fi's were impossible to get this week. There was some back and forth talk to a supervisor, but no mention of of them not having them. I'll be curious to see what we end up getting.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #125
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma Doll View Post
Based on my experience last week, and others' this week (and today) I have a bad feeling you just got a bad dice-roll and a less-helpful rep. I really feel for you. I generally don't advocate trying to bully your way through customer support for any company, but the fact that you got a DOA replacement and they are now clearly stalling you is not cool. Maybe Engadget or Gizmodo would be interested in a pic of your new dead one?

Also: I think you mention having to send one back and wait for replacement--they gave me 30 days to return my bad one, although they did ask for a credit card as backup.
True, I thought about it, but I would feel lousy sending engadget/gizmodo a picture, because it could be that it is just one unit that got delivered this way out of thousands (lucky me). That's also why I won't post pictures on amazon for now.

I have three in my possession right now, and won't be sending anything back until next week, if the new units are good. That way I can at least compare the ones that do turn on with each other. I can understand that they have to charge my cc if they don't get the units back, since there must be enough scam artists out there trying to take advantage of their customer service.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #126
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
CHINA !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The China Syndrome! Lets see how many issues we've read multiple accounts on:
  • Severe discoloration and shadows on screen
  • Pin hole light due to specks of dust
  • 3G won't work
  • Completely dead or with error message showing
  • Ghosting worse than any other Kindle
  • Inconsistent text rendering

BLOL. Can we blame China for all the problems? Their child laborers must be overworked.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #127
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
BLOL. Can we blame China for all the problems? Their child laborers must be overworked.
I'm not blaming China, I'm blaming Amazon for using their manufacturing facilities. Amazon is getting what they paid for--crap. Consequently we are not getting what we paid for.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #128
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I hope you get 2 good ones, xendula. Good luck. I wonder if mine will be 3G too. I just called for the replacement today. It lists wi-fi on my order, but I still wonder considering they told you the wi-fi's are impossible to get this week. It'll be interesting to see.

I still don't understand the repair message you received on your screen. Seems strange. Did you ask them about it?
The CS rep claimed that he had not gotten any PW return requests, that I was the first one. Sooo, I doubt any of us would hear anyone admit that this is a known issue - and it may not be? The very very first rep I talked to a few days back actually indicated that there were some issues with the first batch of a new product such as the PW, this one did not. Either they changed their official stance, or it differs from rep to rep.

When you guys called today, did they mention known issues?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #129
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Just received the replacement PW which came in a box labeled with an "R" BTW. It is better than my original but there is still some splotchiness. There are fewer splotches, that aren't in a diagonal pattern and the main one is higher up on the page.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I will read on the replacement for the rest of the week and then either keep it or send both back and wait for the 2nd generation PW.

Oh, and it still came with Special Offers, so there was no upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Regular kindle novels purchased through amazon.com. That's all I read....

I just received two repacements, and one won't even turn on and says it needs repair (ghosted on the screen)!! The other one has one white spot and three dark ones above it that at first I thought were on top of the screen, but it must be something stuck underneath the screen, as I can't rub it away. It looks like a flower with three petals. Arrrgh.
What a terrible bummer. I'm scheduled to get my replacement tomorrow. I don't know what I'm going to do if it ends up worse than my first one. I already got rid of my NSTWGL which I switched to the PW from. I don't want to abandon the PW because I generally like it better (and don't want to spend money to take a step backwards) but I don't want to be stuck with a bad unit.

Do you think Amazon will let you trade off units again, or once you get one replacement, you're screwed?
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #130
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
When you guys called today, did they mention known issues?
They didn't mention known issues to me, no. I basically just described my problem and then there was some quick back and forth with a supervisor and then they approved the return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Do you think Amazon will let you trade off units again, or once you get one replacement, you're screwed?
I would assume they'll let you try again. I believe they did for xendula.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #131
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:

I just received two repacements, and one won't even turn on and says it needs repair (ghosted on the screen)!! .
I saw your picture and please forgive me but ....

Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #132
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I saw your picture and please forgive me but ....

Nice! Thank you for your sympathy!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #133
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
What a terrible bummer. I'm scheduled to get my replacement tomorrow. I don't know what I'm going to do if it ends up worse than my first one. I already got rid of my NSTWGL which I switched to the PW from. I don't want to abandon the PW because I generally like it better (and don't want to spend money to take a step backwards) but I don't want to be stuck with a bad unit.

Yes, the first time I called for a replacement, the rep told me not to worry, that they'd get me a good one even if they have to send yet another one. It's just such a hassle that I hope for you your replacement will be good.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #134
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Nice! Thank you for your sympathy!
I do apologize
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #135
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I do apologize
Whatever, talk to my paperweight