Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Carl L
Carl L began at the beginning.

Device: iPad MC497LL
Calibre does not recognize the iPad

My iPad does not show up in my operating system. It does show up in iTunes! Calibre does not recognize the iPad. (No device button is shown) There is a plug in for "Apple device interface Communicate with iTunes" and it is green. How do I get my books over to iTunes.
Carl L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I just export them from Calibre and then add them to my iTunes library.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #3
Carl L

Hi David,
How do you export a book in Calibre?
Where do you export them to?
Carl
Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First, select all the books you want to transfer. Then you select the SAVE TO DISK button and it will let you choose where you want to save them.

If I'm moving one or two books, I just save it to my desktop. If I'm moving a lot I will create a new folder to save them all to, as it just seems easier and neater.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
you export to itunes. Calibre recognises itunes and will export to there. the fact that its green right now shows that to be the case. It doesn't usually recognise an ipad or iphone or ipod directly because it assumes you want to use itunes to sync your books. iTunes should show as a separate icon in the toolbar, once you are connected to itunes via the connect/share icon.

Just select the book/s you want to go to itunes and choose "send to device" which is yet another icon. Dont worry about the main memory or anything because you arent actually sending to the device, just to itunes.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
david_e
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
you export to itunes. Calibre recognises itunes and will export to there. the fact that its green right now shows that to be the case. It doesn't usually recognise an ipad or iphone or ipod directly because it assumes you want to use itunes to sync your books. iTunes should show as a separate icon in the toolbar, once you are connected to itunes via the connect/share icon.

Just select the book/s you want to go to itunes and choose "send to device" which is yet another icon. Dont worry about the main memory or anything because you arent actually sending to the device, just to itunes.
Does this method also update the library?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Carl L

Thanks David,
It worked just fine.
Did not know "save to disc" exported to a folder.
Carl
Old 08-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Does this method also update the library?
I'd just come back in to say "forget what I wrote". It didn't work at all. Lord knows where the book went, but it wasnt to itunes, or to ibooks. Oh well. I'm glad Carl has a solution.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
My iPad does not show up in my operating system. It does show up in iTunes! Calibre does not recognize the iPad. (No device button is shown) There is a plug in for "Apple device interface Communicate with iTunes" and it is green. How do I get my books over to iTunes.
Sticky Calibre + Apple iDevices: Start here

Hope this helps.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
I had this a couple of weeks ago. It turned out that iTunes had updated their software so that Calibre was unable to see the iPad. Then Calibre updated its software and now it sees it just fine. My suggestion is that you make sure you have the latest version of Calibre (0.8.65) and try connecting your iPad again.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote