Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 11:13 PM   #211
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
When we "set" margins, we don't actually futz with the publisher's CSS, we just "inset" the whole page. The "smallest" margins are only a few pixels inset. So it is likey the formatting of the books. We might need to be a bit more "aggressive" when a user turns off "Use Publisher Formatting" which currently would maybe be better labled "Over-write specific, standard CSS selectors and hope the publisher did not get fancy with CSS selector names"
But your margin settings are overriding the margin settings in the book. This is wrong if we have the publisher settings turned on. I have a book loaded that has no margins and yet I have margins that I should not have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #212
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. Pains me it is not there yet. related to RMSDK - need update from Adobe to fix.
If you don't add it, it will never be there, Adobe doesn't have hyphenation support and looks like they may never have it.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #213
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipoid View Post
I have a first generation iPod touch. I tried the method of emailing the .acsm file to my Gmail (the email I have in the iPod's mail program), but I can't click on the .acsm file--nothing happens when I tap it. When I double-tap it, I just get a pop-up menu that says "save image" "copy" and "cancel."

I don't know how to get the .acsm file to open so it can go into the Bluefire Reader.

Any help would be appreciated.
You have to email the ePub and not the acsm file.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #214
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
hmmm, if you Bluefire Reader installed (I assume it is?) then you should get the "open in" option. Same should be true of any protected or unprotected PDF or EPUB. You might test just sending yourself a regular old PDF. Several apps support that format, e.g. goodreader (which I recommend a a solid utility app)

But then, I don't have a first Gen iPod, could it be that it does not support the open-in IOS feature? Doesn't seem likely to me, but....

If you have wifi network, you could try to the wifi transfer method I've described in prior pages of this forum.
1st Gen iPod Touch doesn't support iOS 4.x.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:26 PM   #215
flipoid
flipoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/iPod/Sony
Quote:
Reminder: For wifi trnasfer without tethering, type the following address into mobile Safari on the device bluefirereader://nav/transfer

It should then show instructions on what to type into the browser on your desktop machine.
Micah, not that I'm trying to be fresh or anything, but I could kiss you! The wifi transfer method worked beautifully! I like having my Sony Reader (though I have to admit that my Kindle is my favorite e-reader!) for the library books, but having the way to read ePub books (especially library books) on my iPod touch is a very nice backup method.
flipoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #216
flipoid
flipoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/iPod/Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have to email the ePub and not the acsm file.
JSWolf, as I said in one of my posts above, I tried emailing both the ePub and the acsm files and *neither one* worked. But thanks for the suggestion.
flipoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #217
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
1st Gen iPod Touch doesn't support iOS 4.x.
Actually emailing acsm file works great. Bluefire then download epub file.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #218
Jsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipoid View Post
JSWolf, as I said in one of my posts above, I tried emailing both the ePub and the acsm files and *neither one* worked. But thanks for the suggestion.
Time to upgrade your iPod?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #219
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I just downloaded Bluefire-works great..this made my day, love my Kindle but don't love that you can't read library books on it.

I had ordered a Kobo reader just for library books-but that's going back now. I do most of my reading on the Kindle but love the option to be able to read on the ipad as a back-up.

Last edited by voracious71; 11-14-2010 at 10:20 PM.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #220
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But your margin settings are overriding the margin settings in the book. This is wrong if we have the publisher settings turned on. I have a book loaded that has no margins and yet I have margins that I should not have.
I hear you that one could argue that user controls for margins should go "under" the use publisher settings in/off toggle. One could argue the same thing about night mode. I made the choice to have them in the "general" settings controls for a variety of reasons, with the primary goal to make it as easy to use as I could. I ended up only putting items in the "formatting" tab that actually changed the CSS.

I hear your feedback and I'm thinking about how to improve it.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #221
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you don't add it, it will never be there, Adobe doesn't have hyphenation support and looks like they may never have it.
We will have it. Probably not as soon as both you and I would like, but that is better than "never".
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #222
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Time to upgrade your iPod?
I think I understand the problem. You may need iOS 4.x in order to use the email features. And since the 1st Gen iPod Touch won't run iOS 4.x, it won't work.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #223
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

How goes fixing the bug where BF crashes on exit on a jailbroken device?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #224
jdmaynard
jdmaynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsimon View Post
Ok was playing around as was able to do the following:

on a computer without Adobe Digital Editions, I was able to take out a book from the public library by downloading the acsm file as normal. Then instead of opening it on my computer I simply emailed the file to myself. Opened it on my Ipad within Bluefire Reader. It then downloaded the book automatically, and I was good to go. So you can skip Itunes and adobe digital editions.
You lost me --- I emailed the ASCM file as an attachment to myself. How do I find it and open it in Bluefire?
jdmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #225
Jsimon
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaynard View Post
You lost me --- I emailed the ASCM file as an attachment to myself. How do I find it and open it in Bluefire?

On your iPad go to your email and touch on the attachment like you would to open any attachment. You should get an "open in" box which gives u a choice of apps ton open the attachment in. Bluefire should be one of those choices.