Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Fast Scrolling on the Kindle

Hello all;

I've been using my new K3 for about a week, having transitioned from the Sony PRS-505 (I tried out both of the new Sony readers - Kindle was better!).

The one thing I did like on the Sony's was that I could hold down the page turn button (or swipe and hold) and it would scroll through pages quickly, or jump ten pages.

On the kindle, it's more like prespresprespresprespres

Is there some magic way to jump forward or backwards quickly? This is useful because I have preserved the ability to lose my place in a book to the digital realm - and also because I switch back and forth between disparate devices.

Aron
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
If your book has proper chapter breaks (shown by little dots in the progress bar at the bottom), then pressing < and > will jump to the previous/next one. There's also 'Go to Location' but that's a bit clunky and you have to have a good grasp on how the locations work.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
emclinux
emclinux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
You can use Menu > Go To and enter a number to jump ahead but it does not look like there is a faster way.
emclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Thanks Flandroid. My converted ePub files don't seem to have those breaks.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

That's a twist. I've found my Amazon books often don't have them (or have one, right near the end, for the appendix or similar), whereas my converted ePubs do.

You can set up Calibre to create them where it thinks the chapters are, IIRC.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
Howto ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flandroid View Post
That's a twist. I've found my Amazon books often don't have them (or have one, right near the end, for the appendix or similar), whereas my converted ePubs do.

You can set up Calibre to create them where it thinks the chapters are, IIRC.
Hi Flandroid
Still learning, but could you point us to how getting Calibre to do this ?
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Hi Flandroid
Still learning, but could you point us to how getting Calibre to do this ?
Cheers
Do a "Mobi to Mobi" conversion in Calibre. ie, convert the file, but have both input and output formats as Mobi (or PRC, it doesn't matter which). The "conversion" will add the chapter markets automatically.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #8
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
If you press "Alt" and the next page button, then you skip a few pages. It's very handy.

Note: You have to press the "Alt" key before the Next Page button.
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #9
flandroid
Connoisseur

I had no idea, fairy_dreams, that's really useful.

And thanks for jumping in, Harry. All of my Calibre conversions were ePub to MOBI, though -- I'm assuming the chapter 'sensing' is the default behaviour then, but your MOBI-MOBI reply has made me realise that I could take some of my native files and 'convert' them to add chapter marks.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
rocknel
rocknel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
(web) Fast Scrolling on Kindle TOUCH

Is it possible to have Kindle scroll by the page?

Both web mode and article mode lets me scroll by about one inch, by tapping twice or swiping.

I understand web browing on Kindle is not as convenient, but this scrolling by an inch kills me.
rocknel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
rnollman
rnollman began at the beginning.

Device: pc and android
Use the arrow keys...

I had the same problem and was very frustrated because there is not useful information in the Kindle helpfiles.

I just played around until I discovered that you can use the arrow keys.
rnollman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy_dreams View Post
If you press "Alt" and the next page button, then you skip a few pages. It's very handy.

Note: You have to press the "Alt" key before the Next Page button.
...What sorcery is this? Hot lava, this is great. Thank you for this tidbit.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
rocknel
rocknel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To rnollman
I use Kindle TOUCH, so there is no key to push.
Am I missing something? Or maybe your comment was not meant for me.
rocknel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknel View Post
Is it possible to have Kindle scroll by the page?

Both web mode and article mode lets me scroll by about one inch, by tapping twice or swiping.

I understand web browing on Kindle is not as convenient, but this scrolling by an inch kills me.
The rest of the thread is about turning pages on the Kindle 3, so if you're talking about the web browser on the Touch, that's a little different.
If you swipe up all the way from the bottom of the screen to the top without lifting your finger, it should scroll a full screen. At least that's how it works for me.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote