Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #316
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
HA! I was one click away from posting this last night...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #317
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
HA! I was one click away from posting this last night...
That settles the title then.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM   #318
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant to ask after the last time we had a run-off, but what do all of you think- one day or two days for run-offs?

One day is what we've done since the beginning of the club, but two days gives a little more time to make sure no one that might want to vote misses it. It does however push us knowing the month's selection back yet another day.

Personally I think I'd lean towards two days now as a safer amount, but I'd be equally fine keeping it at one too.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #319
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I’m ok with two days.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:40 AM   #320
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Great; then barring any other posts on the matter we'll set any future run-offs for two days.

-

Now that all our summer selections have been chosen, it's a good time to open up discussion on autumn topic nominations.

This will cover the months of October, November and December. Basically, you can make suggestions in two ways:

-The first is to offer general suggestions just to put them out there/discuss them/bat them around, with no specific date or implementation in mind.

-The second is to make a more formal nomination for a particular topic for the autumn season. You can just suggest the topic and it will be slotted into the soonest month not already taken, or you can request it for a particular month in the season.
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #321
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Alright, seeing no suggestions for October, I’ll nominate one of my own and call it ‘Fun, Fun, Fun’ . This is anything to do with the idea of ‘fun’, which is often not something one thinks of in relation to literary books, so it could be an interesting, different and perhaps even revelatory month. It could be a book you think looks (or was) fun to read, a book that somehow seems to have fun in it from title or from content, a book that seems to have some light-hearted or joyful aspect, or something else as the topic is open to interpretation.
Old 10-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #322
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Alright, seeing no suggestions for October, I’ll nominate one of my own and call it ‘Fun, Fun, Fun’ . This is anything to do with the idea of ‘fun’, which is often not something one thinks of in relation to literary books, so it could be an interesting, different and perhaps even revelatory month. It could be a book you think looks (or was) fun to read, a book that somehow seems to have fun in it from title or from content, a book that seems to have some light-hearted or joyful aspect, or something else as the topic is open to interpretation.
That’s an excellent idea!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #323
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good to me. I totally forgot that we were supposed to post ideas!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #324
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I haven’t had enough time with a non-mobile-phone computer since the vote was over to format the discussion thread OP as normally (and doing it on a phone can be a bit of a horror) so I’m going to post a bare bones discussion thread OP just to get it up and edit the extra info in when I can.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-16-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:42 PM   #325
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
My new job is sapping literally all my time. I am having to sit out both book clubs, at least this month. If i have any good theme ideas I will try and toss them out!
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:13 AM   #326
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
My new job is sapping literally all my time. I am having to sit out both book clubs, at least this month. If i have any good theme ideas I will try and toss them out!
That’s a pity that work is sapping your free time but good luck on your new job and I do hope you’re enjoying it. We’ll be looking forward to when your free time opens back up, though if you just so happen to get a hankering this month’s selection is an easy read.

Also, yes, if you (or anyone else) come up with any good theme ideas please toss them to us!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #327
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Any ideas for November’s topic?

Edit- Going once, going twice... I'll be putting up the nominations thread in the next hour or so and if I don't have any suggestions by then I'll choose the topic! (not that I mind, but it's always great to have others' input )

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-31-2018 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 PM   #328
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I’m open to lots of ideas. I am missing our regional months for some extra diversity so I’ve been considering themes for books with an international emphasis. There’s the obvious books that have been translated into English as one idea, but I am trying to think of something more creative and fun.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:25 PM   #329
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Bookworm_Girl, well have I got the topic for you! Heh, just kidding, but it's wild that you posted that as I was writing the rest of this post (I only saw your post just before I posted), since as you'll see we were definitely on the same wavelength:

All right, I'm going to cart out and nominate an old topic that I'd even suggested we leave be because of its complexity: Journey around the World.

The reason for this about-face for this month is simple- Dazrin's stats. He has kindly done all the legwork of listing all the countries we've read books from over our history, which work was what made the category complex.

Also, Region was always a popular category and this one is along the same line but easier because no pre-vote.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-31-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #330
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

That said, I'm completely fine going with something different or some other international-flavoured topic if you'd prefer since I just nominated the last topic... but I'd need it asap.