Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 PM   #16
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7", Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Hmmm... why did miss Marple get involved in her cases? Just from curiosity? I don't really remember anymore, it's been a while since I read Christie.
Some times she got pulled in because the suspect was a friend or a friend would ask her to because it was their friend. Once in a while a friend who was just curious would drag her in. A lot of the time she will happen to be where a crime takes place, and usually that is most likely just curiosity. 😂
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #17
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
Some times she got pulled in because the suspect was a friend or a friend would ask her to because it was their friend. Once in a while a friend who was just curious would drag her in. A lot of the time she will happen to be where a crime takes place, and usually that is most likely just curiosity. 😂
Thank you.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #18
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Then there was Jason Rafiel, who manipulated her into it.
arjaybe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:36 AM   #19
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
And then of course once it was established that Miss Marple was good at it sometimes people would turn to her - even official people who either had a family connection with her or who had been told she was in the area and was, as one Scotland Yard man put it, "the finest detective God ever made."
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #20
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What annoys me more than the willingness of people to answer questions is the motive of the amateur sleuth to ask them--to become involved in the investigation. I used to read a lot of cozy series that tended to begin with the amateur having a plausible reason to become involved--as a suspect, a relative or friend of the victim, etc.--but in later books the reason wouldn't make much sense.
In the case of the book that inspired this thread, which is the 3rd in the series, the amateur, a professional actor, is deliberately cast in a play where they suspect someone of trying to sabotage it. So he's actually sent in as an investigator.

Which is why it's irritating that everyone answers his obvious digging with such lack of suspicion.
latepaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
And then of course once it was established that Miss Marple was good at it sometimes people would turn to her - even official people who either had a family connection with her or who had been told she was in the area and was, as one Scotland Yard man put it, "the finest detective God ever made."
And Sherlock Holmes rolled over in his grave
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:58 AM   #22
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
" 'Look here, sergeant, I realise I am telling you something you must know, but the corpse has disappeared during my momentary absence from the library.’
‘I expected as much, Sir Myles.’
‘Also there was the usual shots and a scream and all that kind of thing.’
‘Quite Sir Myles. It is a good job the body has been taken off your hands because I have changed my mind. I have no intention of going out to your place. This once we will let the mystery be solved by the private investigator who will accidentally arrive on the scene. On this occasion we will spare the police the trouble of making mistakes, following dud clues, arresting innocent parties and generally complicating matters.’
‘I realise how you feel, sergeant. Good night.’ "

From "The Best of Myles", by Flann O'Brien
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #23
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Fire 7, Kindle Paperwhite Manga, Ipad 9.7 (2018)
There's another trope where the main character keeps solving mysteries, and continues to attract murder cases yet nobody considers that abnormal. I've only seen that noticed and addressed in the Freshly Baked Mystery Series by Livia J. Washburn.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:24 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
There's another trope where the main character keeps solving mysteries, and continues to attract murder cases yet nobody considers that abnormal. I've only seen that noticed and addressed in the Freshly Baked Mystery Series by Livia J. Washburn.
You should read some of Agatha Christie's later novels featuring the writer of detective novels, Ariadne Oliver. Oliver is very obviously based on Christie herself, and Christie uses her to poke fun at all the standard tropes of detective fiction. She (Oliver) constantly laments the continued popularity of her detective, Sven Hjerson, aka "The Finn", whom she loathes writing about but does so because the books are so popular. In particular she regrets the choice of a Finnish detective, because she actually knows nothing about Finland! This reflects Christie's well-known aversion to Hercule Poirot, a character whom she disliked intensely.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 PM   #25
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Fire 7, Kindle Paperwhite Manga, Ipad 9.7 (2018)
Thanks for the info. These books are a distant memory for me. I'll get round to reading them eventually. I remember that Ariadne Oliver was an apple eater.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote