Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #316
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite, Oasis, Voyage, original Paperwhite, Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The Radium Girls I found informative and moving. It was quite topical in that Ireland is facing ia similar type of medical scandal involving misdiagnosis of cervical cancer in a number of women—some of whom have died.
I was really glad to have read The Radium Girls, but by the same token, I found it really, really difficult. Definitely a hard read for me.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #317
Dazrin
There's my cookie!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Thinking ahead...

April's theme is "The Way I Heard It, Retellings." With that in mind ZodWallop posted a link to Beauty by Robin McKinley which is "A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast" for $1.20, so extremely affordable if someone is thinking of nominating it.

It looks like she has several different retellings but this is the only one on sale right now. I will note that it is available at some Overdrive libraries so you may not need to purchase it.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #318
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
April's theme is "The Way I Heard It, Retellings." With that in mind ZodWallop posted a link to Beauty by Robin McKinley which is "A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast" for $1.20, so extremely affordable if someone is thinking of nominating it.

It looks like she has several different retellings but this is the only one on sale right now. I will note that it is available at some Overdrive libraries so you may not need to purchase it.
Rose Daughter was her first retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Beauty was the second.

I haven't read either of these, but they've been on my radar forever. (McKinley also retold Sleeping Beauty as Spindle's End.)

SYNC has offered at least two Beauty and Beast retellings as audiobook freebies: Beast by Donna Jo Napoli, and Of Beast and Beauty, by Stacey Jay. Also unread/unlistened to by me.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #319
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Mmmm, this just cries out for a Madeline Miller rec... Circe would be too new, but The Song of Achilles wouldn't.

I wonder if pastiches would also fit here. Something like The Seven-Percent Solution which is a telling of Holmes' cocaine addiction or The Bee-Keeper's Apprentice, which is the retired life of Sherlock Holmes.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #320
Dazrin
There's my cookie!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Rose Daughter was her first retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Beauty was the second.

I haven't read either of these, but they've been on my radar forever. (McKinley also retold Sleeping Beauty as Spindle's End.)

SYNC has offered at least two Beauty and Beast retellings as audiobook freebies: Beast by Donna Jo Napoli, and Of Beast and Beauty, by Stacey Jay. Also unread/unlistened to by me.
Beyond those she also has a Robin Hood retelling.

I don't have anything written down but I am fairly sure I have read something by Robin McKinley before. Her name brings up favorable feelings but looking at her books I can't remember ever reading anything by her. Maybe in an anthology?
Old 01-08-2019, 03:38 PM   #321
Dazrin
There's my cookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Mmmm, this just cries out for a Madeline Miller rec... Circe would be too new, but The Song of Achilles wouldn't.

I wonder if pastiches would also fit here. Something like The Seven-Percent Solution which is a telling of Holmes' cocaine addiction or The Bee-Keeper's Apprentice, which is the retired life of Sherlock Holmes.
I don't see why not. Obviously Doyle just forgot those parts so they need to be retold.

Other obvious books would be a book that is a retelling or based on some mythology. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (and other series by Rick Riordan), The Lost Gate (Norse and other mythology), The Book of Three/Black Cauldron (based on some Welsh mythology), etc.

I was even thinking some of Seth Grahame-Smith's books would work. It was really surprising how much I enjoyed Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. The meshing of fact and fiction was enjoyable but not frustrating like it was (to me) in Alias Grace.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #322
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
I'm considering Breadcrumbs, which is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel during the Holocaust. Don't know if I'd want to read it again, though, as it's quite heart-wrenching.

There's a series called the Sisters Grimm which is quite fun, with all sorts of fairy tale characters--YA, but I enjoyed it.

We're not limited to folk tales and myths, though, are we? I've seen some books based on Rebecca (e.g., The Lantern and The Winters); and there are novels based on true crimes and historical persons/events.
Catlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #323
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
We're not limited to folk tales and myths, though, are we?
Nope. The theme is what you make of it.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #324
stuartjmz
Contrarian
stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stuartjmz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 v2
Did I hear someone say retellings?! i that case, I'm going to jump in with one of my all-time favourites The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett. The true story of what really happened at Hameln.
stuartjmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #325
Dazrin
There's my cookie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Did I hear someone say retellings?! i that case, I'm going to jump in with one of my all-time favourites The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, by Terry Pratchett. The true story of what really happened at Hameln.
Ooooh... I didn't even think of Pratchett. His takes on things could go all over the place. Nice!

The next book in my complete read is The Last Hero then Maurice is up anyway...
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #326
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Circe has been on my radar for a while; this got me to check my OD libraries and there are long waitlists, but I suspect I could come up with the paper copy from the real library fairly readily. Song of Achilles was very cheap for a while; I wonder how many people might have picked it up?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #327
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I picked up Achilles last year when it was on a special offer from Kobo just for a day, and then Circe a week or so ago when it was also on special. I have yet to get to them though.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #328
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wait for Circe at the library is 12 weeks.

Wait for Achilles is 4 weeks. That's more reasonable. I've put it on hold, just in case.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:12 PM   #329
CRussel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Oh, excellent. I'd quite like an excuse to re-read The Bee-Keeper's Apprentice.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM   #330
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
and there are novels based on true crimes and historical persons/events.
Hey, we could read The Game of Thrones, since it's based on the Wars of the Roses!

Spoiler:
I'm not serious! Anything but that!