Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #16
THE DBX
THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Oasis Wifi+3g
Just one thing... before use amazon service, I have change epub to png.
THE DBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:13 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DBX View Post
Just one thing... before use amazon service, I have change epub to png.
Irrelevant. It looks at the content of the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #18
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Irrelevant. It looks at the content of the file.
Not true any more at least. I tried sending an epub with an epub extension and got the usual email about it not working, ditto changing it to .mobi. Maybe Amazon caught on and started screening file extensions?
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a bug. It certainly used to work. Personally, though, I find converting my ePub books with Calibre to be a better method.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #20
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sounds like a bug. It certainly used to work. Personally, though, I find converting my ePub books with Calibre to be a better method.
I doubt it's a bug considering Amazon mails you the list of what's supported and epub isn't on there. It's likely they didn't used to screen file names, then realized they were wasting server time on files they didn't technically support and started screening them. Renaming to .png might just be enough to get past the screen and into their converter that doesn't care about file extensions.

Calibre is 100% more convenient. My problem is Calibre doesn't really support ePUB3 standards at all. Fixed layouts, right-to-left text, vertical text etc. will end up with a broken document pretty much guaranteed. In either direction. I've found using kindlegen to make AZW3s from EPUBs and kindleunpack to make EPUBs from AZW3s is a lot more accurate to the source document.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:16 PM   #21
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I have been sending files since 2011. So not new at all.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #22
cane
Enthusiast
cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3,Kindle Oasis 2016,2022 Basic kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not true any more at least. I tried sending an epub with an epub extension and got the usual email about it not working, ditto changing it to .mobi. Maybe Amazon caught on and started screening file extensions?
I just tried it works great , just changed epub to .png.
I use Calibre for all my Files but this be a quick way for my not so techie friends to do convert work.

Last edited by cane; 07-25-2017 at 08:25 PM.
cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane View Post
I just tried it works great , just changed epub to .png.
I use Calibre for all my Files but this be a quick way for my not so techie friends to do convert work.
Actually, if you configure Calibre correctly, you can get it to convert ePub to KF8 when you go to send the ePub to the Kindle. Calibre is that easy to use. You don't have to rename the ePub and email it to Amazon. You can do everything locally. I think that's the best solution. Also, if you find something needs editing, then you can do so with Calibre. Can't do that as easily emailing the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:19 AM   #24
THE DBX
THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.THE DBX solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Hi!
What it's crazy, Kindle can read ePub without conversion.
If I compare ePub book without conversion and conversion of same book changed by calibre, book look better: respect marge, font size, head of title,...
Old 07-26-2017, 03:26 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DBX View Post
Hi!
What it's crazy, Kindle can read ePub without conversion.
If I compare ePub book without conversion and conversion of same book changed by calibre, book look better: respect marge, font size, head of title,...
The Kindle cannot read ePub books "without conversion". Please stop saying that - it's just plain wrong. The book is being converted by Amazon's servers before it's added to your Cloud library.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:29 AM   #26
THE DBX

But when you change ePub to png, it's write Amazon don't convert the file.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't take my word for it. If you don't believe me, copy the file from your Kindle and look at it for yourself. It's a book in KF8 format, not ePub.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:09 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
You misunderstand me. Perhaps the extension is used as a filter on what files make it through to the server, but it's plainly not used by the "conversion engine" on Amazon's servers. That is correctly identifying an ePub book as ePub, and converting it to KF8, even though the extension is "png", so it's identifying it by the file contents, not the extension. It may well be that files with a ".mobi" extension bypass the conversion process, because they should be in Kindle format already, hence renaming another file type to ".mobi" will result in failure.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-26-2017 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #29
THE DBX

Ok, just I use png because amazon don't convert this type of file
If any file are check ans convert... engine prog from amazon server is very good!

Last edited by THE DBX; 07-26-2017 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:11 AM   #30
THE DBX

Small question...
I search where are stored the png files in kildle.
Nobody know?
Thanks !