Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Subcategories for English news

The number of news sources for generic English has become unwieldy at 328 entries (as of Calibre 0.7.49). Organizing these into subcategories would help people to find news sources of interest.

I propose the following categories:
  • General News
  • Business
  • Sci/Tech
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Comics
  • Humor

What do you think? If it's worth pursuing then I will go through the list and see if I can categorize each entry into one of the above categories.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Moderator Notice
Moved to appropriate sub-forum
Edit: Moved back to development

Last edited by chaley; 03-13-2011 at 04:05 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Moved to appropriate sub-forum
You've moved this to the wrong forum. Please put it back into the development forum.

This thread has nothing to do with writing recipes, but instead is about updating the Python code to change how the "Schedule News Download" window will display information. Being new to Python I will need some guidance and feedback to update the data structures to handle the sub-categorization. I would also like some feedback from other developers, particularly Kovid, on whether they think this user interface change is a good idea before I even attempt to write a patch.

This thread falls squarely into development-related issues and has no relation to writing recipes.

Last edited by Halo; 03-12-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It has to do with categorizations of news, which is done in recipes. It asks no code questions, but instead asks questions about what people (the people who use recipes) think. As such, it belongs here.

When you have code questions, then post in the development forum.

Edit: After further thought, putting it in recipes forum might not get the 'views' and response needed. Moved to the main forum.

Last edited by chaley; 03-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
First my input on the proposal. It is an interesting idea and I can see this being a benefit for some folks. Personally if this was implemented I would still like to see a "show all" line, because I know what I want and it doesn't take a second to scroll down to the news source I'm looking for.

Quote:
It has to do with categorizations of news, which is done in recipes.
To be clear this is a request to categorize the news sources in the Fetch news GUI window and doesn't seem to have anything to do with recipes code.

Quote:
It asks no code questions, but instead asks questions about what people (the people who use recipes) think. As such, it belongs here.
The sticky post in the Development sub-forum says:

Quote:
This subforum is not the place for feature requests that you aren't prepared/able to develop yourself
According to the OP below it sounds like he is prepared/able to try and develop this himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo View Post
Being new to Python I will need some guidance and feedback to update the data structures to handle the sub-categorization.
I have no problem with the development sub-forum being only for code discussions and proposing new features posted elsewhere (as a matter of fact that makes more sense to me) but if that is the case the sticky post might have to be updated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	News-sources.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	68246  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-12-2011 at 09:01 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:44 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure, I'd suggest adding a field to each recipe called calibre_genre and at some point someone will have to modify the recipe displaying code to use that field.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote