Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #16
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I could live with that I'm not using a custom column now (just a template putting everything from the title after the first colon in the subtitle), but I could easily do that.

@geek1011, please pretty please?

(Edit: now putting the same info in a custom column called (surprise) 'subtitle' and using the template '{#subtitle}' in the driver config.)
Can I see an example of the OPF meta tag for that? Based on skimming the Calibre source code, I think I'll need to parse calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle as JSON, then get the string #value#, but I want to confirm that.

I'll implement that and EPUB3 subtitle metadata afterwards.

@davidfor, do you know if there is a reason why Calibre doesn't seem to support standard EPUB3 metadata at all (even if it's in addition to it's own format)?

Last edited by geek1011; 07-22-2020 at 11:32 AM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Can I see an example of the OPF meta tag for that? Based on skimming the Calibre source code, I think I'll need to parse calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle as JSON, then get the string #value#, but I want to confirm that.
Here's some samples, the first two are from epub2 files, the next two are from an epub3. It could have been harder to read if someone had really tried.

Spoiler:
Code:
<meta content="{&quot;rec_index&quot;: 29, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 8, &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;, &quot;use_decorations&quot;: 0}, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;Under the Ocean for Sunken Treasure&quot;, &quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_8&quot;, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;}" name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" />
Code:
<meta name="calibre:user_metadata:#subtitle" content="{&quot;table&quot;: &quot;custom_column_8&quot;, &quot;display&quot;: {&quot;description&quot;: &quot;&quot;, &quot;use_decorations&quot;: 0}, &quot;label&quot;: &quot;subtitle&quot;, &quot;column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;colnum&quot;: 8, &quot;#value#&quot;: &quot;A Sector General Omnibus&quot;, &quot;category_sort&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;datatype&quot;: &quot;text&quot;, &quot;is_editable&quot;: true, &quot;rec_index&quot;: 29, &quot;search_terms&quot;: [&quot;#subtitle&quot;], &quot;is_multiple2&quot;: {}, &quot;link_column&quot;: &quot;value&quot;, &quot;#extra#&quot;: null, &quot;is_category&quot;: true, &quot;is_multiple&quot;: null, &quot;kind&quot;: &quot;field&quot;, &quot;name&quot;: &quot;Subtitle&quot;, &quot;is_custom&quot;: true, &quot;is_csp&quot;: false}" />
Code:
  "#subtitle": {
    "#extra#": null, 
    "#value#": "An Oral History of the Zombie War", 
    "category_sort": "value", 
    "colnum": 10, 
    "column": "value", 
    "datatype": "text", 
    "display": {
      "description": "", 
      "use_decorations": 0
    }, 
    "is_category": true, 
    "is_csp": false, 
    "is_custom": true, 
    "is_editable": true, 
    "is_multiple": null, 
    "is_multiple2": {}, 
    "kind": "field", 
    "label": "subtitle", 
    "link_column": "value", 
    "name": "Subtitle", 
    "rec_index": 29, 
    "search_terms": [
      "#subtitle"
    ], 
    "table": "custom_column_10"
  }
Code:
    <dc:title id="subtitle">An Oral History of the Zombie War</dc:title>

Last edited by DNSB; 07-22-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Added extra sample for epub3 file
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

I'll implement that and EPUB3 subtitle metadata afterwards.

@davidfor, do you know if there is a reason why Calibre doesn't seem to support standard EPUB3 metadata at all (even if it's in addition to it's own format)?
I don't know if this will help or hinder, but anyway ...
  • #value# may not always be a string. Looking at my own calibre custom columns I have examples of all of these - null, string, integer, boolean, list. This may not be exhaustive. Contents of #value# is going to depend on what type of custom column has been defined.
  • There is no guarantee that the custom column(s) being used to derive Kobo subtitle is #subtitle (e.g. mine is #awards). But perhaps your're saying that, for simplicity, you only intend to support this simple scenario.

Which standard EPUB3 metadata is calibre not supporting?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, @DNSB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
#value# may not always be a string. Looking at my own calibre custom columns I have examples of all of these - null, string, integer, boolean, list. This may not be exhaustive. Contents of #value# is going to depend on what type of custom column has been defined.
That makes sense. I won't be supporting anything but a string, but I wanted to confirm it wasn't inside another object or something. I can check the type while parsing it.

Quote:
There is no guarantee that the custom column(s) being used to derive Kobo subtitle is #subtitle (e.g. mine is #awards). But perhaps your're saying that, for simplicity, you only intend to support this simple scenario.
Yes, that's correct. I'm only going support a custom column named "#subtitle", as it appears to make the most sense to me out of all the ways of having non-standard Calibre metadata.

Quote:
Which standard EPUB3 metadata is calibre not supporting?
  • All EPUB3 metadata around meta[property][refines="#..."]. Series metadata isn't supported at all (it only supports calibre:series), you can't refine the role on a dc:author (it only supports EPUB2 opf:role), etc.
  • I don't think it supports EPUB3 nav documents.
  • I'm not 100% certian about this one, but I don't think it supports [properties="cover-image"] on manifest items.
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #20
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
  • All EPUB3 metadata around meta[property][refines="#..."]. Series metadata isn't supported at all (it only supports calibre:series), you can't refine the role on a dc:author (it only supports EPUB2 opf:role), etc.
  • I don't think it supports EPUB3 nav documents.
  • I'm not 100% certian about this one, but I don't think it supports [properties="cover-image"] on manifest items.
Calibre handles Series & Series_index like this in EPUB3:
Code:
    <meta property="belongs-to-collection" id="id-3">Harry Bosch</meta>
    <meta refines="#id-3" property="collection-type">series</meta>
    <meta refines="#id-3" property="group-position">1</meta>
I suspect "#id-3" isn't necessarily the id that will always be used.

The equivalent for calibre EPUB2 is:
Code:
    <meta content="Harry Bosch" name="calibre:series"/>
    <meta content="1.0" name="calibre:series_index"/>
The NAV file and cover image file in my EPUB3 books looks like this:
Code:
<manifest>
    <item href="nav.xhtml" id="nav" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" properties="nav"/>
    <item href="images/cover.jpeg" id="cover" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image"/>
</manifest>
I suspect filenames nav.xhtml and cover.jpeg are calibre defaults rather than must-haves.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's a fair bit of ePub 3.something OPF features supported: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...tadata/opf3.py

I can definitely vouch for the Cover & Series stuff, since that was what I double-checked the last time I looked at this ;p.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-22-2020 at 01:32 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #22
geek1011
Wizard

Thanks for the info, @jackie_w, @NiLuJe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's a fair bit of ePub 3.something OPF features supported: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...tadata/opf3.py

I can definitely vouch for the Cover & Series stuff, since that was what I double-checked the last time I looked at this ;p.
I seem to have been a bit behind on this (the last time I did anything major with Calibre was in 2016). See 7e1d8a9 and the Debian package I was using from stretch.

I guess most ebooks I've seen which were created/modified with Calibre were EPUB2 (either actually EPUB2 or a book which declared a EPUB3 books as EPUB2 for ... reasons), so it didn't write/read those.

I should probably take another look at Calibre sometime soon to have a better idea of its current state and to get familiar with how it currently works.

___

I'll have subtitle support (calibre #subtitle column, EPUB3 refined title) finished by next week at the latest (first, I'm going to finish my work on NickelHook).

Last edited by geek1011; 07-22-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I'll have subtitle support (calibre #subtitle column, EPUB3 refined title) finished by next week at the latest (first, I'm going to finish my work on NickelHook).
Much appreciated! Thanks.
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Much appreciated! Thanks.
Does this work for you: KoboRoot.tgz?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #25
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geek1011: Ah, the joys of Debian.... .

(Jokes aside, Calibre is notoriously awfully handled by downstream distributions. To make a long-story short, if you're not running Arch, use Kovid's binary package unless you know what you're doing).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:08 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
In calibre the column should be of type, "Text, column shown in the Tab browser". In the OPF, this will have:

- "datatype": "text"
- "is_multiple": null

And "#value#" will either be a string, or "null".

I don't think any other column type makes sense.

Except...

Maybe the tags. I think some people are putting the tags in the subtitle. That makes them visible and searchable on the device. That would mean reading all the dc:subject entries in the OPF.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:01 AM   #27
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Them weeks sure are gettin' short

Works like a charm! Thanks a lot.

For the record, my setup is as follows:

My Calibre 'title' column is formatted as <maintitle>:<subtitle>

I use a plugboard to fill the Kobo Title with '{title:list_item(0,: )}'
I have a custom column '#subtitle' which is 'built from other columns' with '{title:list_item(1,: )}' as a template.
I use '{#subtitle}' as a template to fill the Kobo Subtitle in the extended driver.

NickelSeries does the rest
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:14 AM   #28
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
It works (I tried a Kepub), I see the subtitle after sending the book without needing of connecting again the kobo to calibre.

You are a genius! Thank You.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #29
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Them weeks sure are gettin' short
I did mean it when I said a week before it's finished and released . You just happen to be testing a bunch of other in-progress work at the same time too (NickelHook), although I do expect that NickelHook is stable and essentially complete at this point.

Quote:
Works like a charm! Thanks a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
You are a genius! Thank You.
No problem.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #30
konstantinus
Connoisseur
konstantinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Forma
This is great news! Surely many have been waiting for this functionality for a long time. But for some reason it doesn't work for me: the metadata does not appear, although SeriesMeta works fine with the same books.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (2.4 KB, 327 views)
konstantinus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, ldpreload, nickel, series, seriesmeta