Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #106
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
The bad news is, the other book I tried to convert was a total fail - got messages saying that the DRM needed to be removed. Which is weird, since it (the DRM-stripping/conversion plug in, which operates automatically after being installed in Calibre) worked perfectly on another book.

I'm guessing the partial solution to this problem may be that no DRM-stripping (or De-DRM'ing) plugin or App is 100 % successful; apprently they work on some files....but not others.
No, it works on all Kindle books that you can read on Kindle for PC or an E-Ink Kindle.

For detailed help, you'll have to ask at Apprentice Alf's blog, but I think it might be permissible to point out that the DRM removal happens on import into calibre, not on conversion.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM   #107
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelATF View Post
Follow-up: Site up, Download successful

The site came up half a day later. I was able to access it and download the tools. Added the Plugin to Calibre and was successfully able to convert one of my Kindle books to the MOBI format. That's the good news....

The bad news is, the other book I tried to convert was a total fail - got messages saying that the DRM needed to be removed. Which is weird, since it (the DRM-stripping/conversion plug in, which operates automatically after being installed in Calibre) worked perfectly on another book.

I'm guessing the partial solution to this problem may be that no DRM-stripping (or De-DRM'ing) plugin or App is 100 % successful; apprently they work on some files....but not others.

But at least I've gotten the Plugin downloaded, installed & working.

Just thought I'd report this. CHEERS everyone, and thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Miguel
That's odd. I had been in the habit of converting all my books to mobi format as soon as I purchased them, but have slipped out of doing it on a regular basis. However, after reading your post, I converted three recent purchases and has no problem.

Perhaps some kind soul will contact you privately with a solution (it can't be done publicly as detailed instructions for DRM removal are forbidden at MobileRead).
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #108
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, it works on all Kindle books that you can read on Kindle for PC or an E-Ink Kindle.

For detailed help, you'll have to ask at Apprentice Alf's blog, but I think it might be permissible to point out that the DRM removal happens on import into calibre, not on conversion.
I didn't see you had already replied, Paul, but I think you may be on to something with that second paragraph.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:43 AM   #109
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can't seem to download this. My anti-virus programs throw warnings and then block the file outright if I ignore them.

And then I can't even seem to access datafilehost at all. :P
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:46 AM   #110
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
I can't seem to download this. My anti-virus programs throw warnings and then block the file outright if I ignore them.

And then I can't even seem to access datafilehost at all. :P
Chrome seems to throw a lot of false positives. I suggest using a different browser. (And do follow the instructions to uncheck the download manager checkbox!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2015, 03:54 AM   #111
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
And don't click the large DOWNLOAD box!
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #112
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
NEW TOOLS VERSION 6.2.0

Quote:
tools v6.2.0

Lots of minor changes.

Added automatic retrieval of B&N key from nook Study log file
Added in latest version of obok plugin for Kobo kePubs
Fix for ePubs with non-ASCII internal files names (thanks to Jose Luis)
Fixed preferences creation for Mac DeDRM app on Mac OS X 10.10
Fix problem initialising DeDRM plugin
Fix problem when trying several B&N keys in DeDRM plugin
More logging of errors in DeDRM plugin
Better handling of PDF decrypting in DeDRM plugin
Updated ReadMes
See your local Apprentice Alf for more details.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #113
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
My local Apprentice Alf is still showing 6.1.0.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #114
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool still showing 6.1.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #115
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here you go.

https://apprenticealf.wordpress.com/...#comment-51092
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #116
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool 6.1.0. 3x the size of 6.2.0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

...it seems a bit odd that it's 1/3 the size of the preceeding version?!?

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #117
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Hmmm. Github seems a little ... bold? Hope everything works out OK there.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is this really an official release?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #119
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The 6.2.0 "release" appears to be the plugin source and the plugin zip only. Nothing else is included. There's at least one file there that appears to not belong to the plugin, but it doesn't look particularly harmful. Just maybe a little careless?

Not sure what to think, really.

EDIT: seems you have to download from the Source Code link to get the full tools package.

Little odd that nothing is mentioned on Alf's site other than in the comments section, but it could be legit, I guess.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-10-2015 at 12:54 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #120
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here you go.
Countdown to link removal in 3, 2, 1...
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote