Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
PO40600
Enthusiast
PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PO40600 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note II & Note Pro 12.2, PocketBook Touch Lux, PB Touch,Odysse
Exclamation Saving to disk problems, and question about "Date field" after importing

Hello,

I use Calibre now for more than 2 years, in order to manage books on my computer (Mac), and exporting them to many different devices (Sony PRS-600, Kindle 3, PocketBook Touch, Cybook Odyssey, and recently a Galaxy Note II.

Nearly all woks just fine.

Before asking my questions, I must explain how I mange my eBooks.

- First, I import massive quantities of books (ePubs) in one Time (between 200 to 500) each time.

- I make corrections in MetaDatas. I prefer correcting the titles, including the name of the series and the number. I add covers when absent, and so on. Since I still have a Kindle 3, I therefore add the mobi version to all the books, and convert the epub into mobi for the books not containing mobi in their packages.

Once it is done, I export all the recently imported books in a separate folder (ePub and mobi), and replace them in the original folder. THis way I'm sure having books with corrects metadatas. I prefer having copy of all my books in an other folder, for security reasons.

I select thereafter all the ePubs in order to transfer them into iTunes. I prefer not to use the communication between Calibre and iTunes, since transfers are very very long.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, now may questions :

1/ After importing the books into Calibre, not all the books have the same date in the Date column. I would have thought that it would be the date of the transfer, but for some reasons I ignore, some books have a different one. Happily, after importation, all the new books are at the top of the list, no matter of the sorting choice. So I select them all, and manually correct the date. I would like to understand why the Date is not the date of the importing day.

2/ Sometimes, The "save to disk" function failed. a few month ago, I thought it could be due to a hard drive problem, and as I had SMART issues with my disks (built in 3 RAID 0 ). I changed them. I non longer used RAID 0 system.

But this afternoon, after importing nearly 500 ebooks, correcting. I tried to save them on disk, and the operation could'nt proceed. The list of books not saved was pretty long (more than 50).

Instead of selecting all the books, I select only smaller amounts (50 each time) and save them into a particular folder which was emptied once saving process completed. ANd then, I only had little problems (3 or 4books). When a problem occured, I selected books ten by ten, an found those which cassed problems. Saving them one by one cause any problems. So if someone (Kovid ? ) could explain what's wrong, I would be very gratefull.

I don't know if the size of database is a matter of key importance, but I had more than 12 000 eBooks.
PO40600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to post what error you get when saving to disk. And you need to post an ebook file that does get get the current date when adding to calibre.

Generally speaking, if you are getting errors when doing a large batch and not when doing smaller batches, something on your system is breaking under the load. What that might be is anyone's guess.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert