Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Patatas
Patatas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Noob questions for Libra H2O

First of all, sorry if this is not the correct place/way to ask these questions, I didn't saw a specific FAQ thread, so if this is against any rule please close/delete the thread.

So, I am getting a Kobo Libra H2O this week, and I have a couple of questions beforehand.

1. I want to install an unnoficial app UltimateMangaReader, so my first question is: Are there forced updates? If I connect to Wi-Fi during setup will it update the device locking me out of using custom apps? This is a priority for me as I want the device also for reading manga, and this app seems to help do it directly without needing a PC.

2. Does installing unnoficial apps void warranty? I am not totally sure on how of a 'hack' these things are or how accepted by Kobo. I will probably do it but if it voids warranty I would wait a few days to ensure no issues with the device.

3. Any other begginer tips (or a link to begginers for Libra H2O if there is one) will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Patatas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:55 PM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
1. I honestly don't know precisely about this point, because I just got a Libra and I didn't experience any software updates yet. Your UltimateMangaReader should work, PBChess worked with me in my Libra. I might as well try it, you made me discover another great app!
2. They *could*, but in fact, all you'd have to do to keep your warranty is doing a hard factory reset if there is a problem. These can be initiated by physical buttons, and if (maybe) your screen doesn't work anymore or a thing like that, you could still restore it to its original firmware.
3. Not begginer tips, but here's the software I installed on my Libra:
1. PBChess with custom apps like https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296647 which are very cool + Tazuku https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224906 for Kobo Launcher.
2. Plato and KOReader for reading PDFs and downloading news
3. InkVT https://github.com/llandsmeer/inkvt which is an awesome terminal emulator for Kobo devices, Python3, NiLuJe's stuff, etc.
4. Some software hacks (landscape orientation system-wide, screensaver pictures hack, devmodeon hack, which enables a fair amount of games in the 'Beta Features' menu, etc.

Good luck, and be careful not to break it while hacking!
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Patatas

Thanks for the response! It was actually pretty informative, but I have another doubt. I was thinking about using the one touch install to setup Nickelmenu to be able to use the mentioned manga app. I understand that both that and Kobo Launcher/ pbchess are launchers to be able to open apps, or am I missing something?

So far I am too lost to care about functionalities, so I don't really care of which one is more complete if I can use custom apps...

I usually am careful not to break stuff, but the amount of information and different tools and devices is simply overwhelming. I wonder if there is a faq or a general guide for begginers that I am not seeing. Surprisingly I dont find tutorials in youtube, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I will be grateful.

Thanks again!
Old 08-10-2020, 03:11 PM   #4
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used one touch install packages for my Libra. They work great! KoboLauncher and pbchess are the same thing in fact.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:13 AM   #5
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
fyi, that manga reader is not working for kobo libra. there's an input issue which hasn't been fixed.
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #6
Patatas

Oh wow, that sucks. One of the reasons I got a new reader was to read manga, and being able to do it on launch day without going trough my PC sounded neat. Well lets hope they find the issue and fix it soon(ish). Probably it can still be done with the browser in a less comfortable way...
Old 08-20-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Just got a Libra H20 myself. Ta for the above information. Loving it thus far.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
NiMa
Evangelist

They released a new version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=331635
Maybe this will work with your Libra.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
Patatas

Thanks! I actually saw it afterwards and installed it, however it does not work (touch screen does not respond). There are some commands to change the touch screen behaviour but none fix the issue. I tried checking some of the files in case there was something I would understand but my coding knowledge is close to zero...
Old 08-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #10
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patatas View Post
Thanks! I actually saw it afterwards and installed it, however it does not work (touch screen does not respond). There are some commands to change the touch screen behaviour but none fix the issue. I tried checking some of the files in case there was something I would understand but my coding knowledge is close to zero...
Yeah, sadly it was confirmed not working for the Libra some days ago. But this may change in the future; people are constantly finding workarounds for that type of problems (usually).