Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Hulu on older Kindle Fire

Is it possible? If so where do I find a working app? It's a Kindle Fire HD7 2013 or Kindle Fire 2011.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Never liked Hulu but yes you can like Nexflix put the app on older Fires. I have Nexflex on my 2012 & used the offer for the Hulu free trail on it also.

https://www.amazon.com/Hulu/dp/B0066...kindle+fire+hd

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-20-2018 at 10:22 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i tried it but it is USA only - i could work around that with smart DNS but the sign up process is also USA only - no paypal option - looked like you need a USA Address and USA issued credit card. Gave up at that point. Hulu keep spamming me to join though - cross border spam works just fine !
HBO now and Sundance now were both much easier : sideload apps, sign up for trial. HBO via google store takes paypal signups with no charge until end of trial. Sundance now : you can sign up from UK for UK service then log in to an app with smart DNS for the USA content . I used smart DNS proxy- free trial then I bought a year.
in both cases though, a one month viewing binge got everything watched that I wanted to see, so now its back to netflix
PS , in all cases, getting the app apk to install ( if you are not in USA ) is doable but convoluted. e.g. the UK google play store does not have the HBO now & Hulu apps, so you have to trick it: i did it this way: go to it via opera web browser using the opera VPN, [ that got me to the USA google play store }. get the url, then used a downloader which accepts that URL to get the apk. Sideload that to Fire tablet and install it.

PS I did consider buying another month of HBO but I read that the latest" new improved" app is very buggy.. And on PC via Smart DNS I would get occasional copy protection glitches / errors watching via browsers. I never get that with netflix or other services. my graphics card, monitor, HDMI cables are all HDCP compatible. It's bugs like that that make you think why bother to pay and put up with spurious errors, when torrent are free and much more reliable .
Sundance now servers are also rubbish, the service would sometime buffer annoyingly on a 200MBs wired PC ! , and the interface is terrible, with basic features still not implemented

Last edited by stumped; 05-21-2018 at 12:34 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:22 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Stumped .... Both Blossom & I LIVE in the US
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Stumped .... Both Blossom & I LIVE in the US
ok - so you can get some/ all of those as amazon prime channels -pay as you go - no apps needed ?
Old 05-21-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you quite understanding what I meant. The Hulu app on the Amazon app store only works on Kindle Fires with firmware 5.0 and above.

My older Fires are using the older firmware so I'm asking if there is an hulu app that works on it and where to get it.

We already have Hulu. I just want to put the app on my husband's Kindle Fire for him while he travels.

I've Googled with no luck.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-21-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard

i think you are stuck.

Without fire OS 5, you can't install the google play store, unless you root the device first. and - checking google play store Hulu app specs - their version also needs android 5+ ( = fire OS 5)

Hulu are not interested in supporting older devices

there is one travel workaround - get a cheap Fire TV stick and take that when travelling - to connect to any tv where there is wifi... cheaper than a new tablet -

alternatively the latest fire HD 8 is regularly on sale at Amazon very low prices , and that could run Hulu ( that or the HD 10 )

a 2016 Fire HD 8 via ebay is even cheaper and has Fire OS 5

We also have a 2012/2013 Kindle Fire 9 inch, in use as a kids tablet, and there's a growing list of unsupported apps to its age. but it's still good enough to keep grandchild amused
Old 05-22-2018, 12:47 AM   #8
stumped
Wizard

ps - last thoughts on this & you'd have to really really want hulu to go thru the risk and hassle..
from somewhere like apk mirror you download an versions of the app that can run under andorid 4/ OS 4 and see if one of thosewill work
i don't much like this route, I have done it when all else falis but only after running the installers through virus /malware checkers before risking an install, and with active malware detection on the tablet also. Having said that, I think I got HBO now apps for tablet and for fire tv from this site and they were clean
If you want to give it a try , there are versions of hulu here dating back to 2014, so you may get lucky
https://www.apkmirror.com/uploads/page/3/?q=hulu
Old 05-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thanks. I use apkmirror and apkpure they are mostly trustworthy. I just need to figure out the last compatible version for Kit Kat. If I remember right that's what the firmware is built off of.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-22-2018, 11:57 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

I have a note somewhere...

When I researched, for my kindle fire hd8.9, I have recorded that fire OS4 is based on android 4.0.3

I would install the oldest available Hulu app from apkmirror and see how that goes.

It's possible that Hulu have now blocked the old ones though for security. I believe that android 4 was less secure than later versions, but as all of Hulu is easily torrented, who would bother to hack their subscription service anyway

And ( mini rant ) if Hulu would prefer that i pay to watch handmaid's tale, they should give me a legal option to do that (from UK ). I could not find any way to pay them.