Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Zombateen
Zombateen began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
Calibre no longer recognises my kobos.

Once a year I load our kobos (2) with books for our 3 weeks away from home.
This year, Calibre does not "see" either kobo with the result that I cannot load books that I have collected over the year on to the kobos. I have tried to get help from rakuten kobo but it's like talking to badly programmed androids. It just cannot be their fault. It must be Calibre or ADE or sunspots but cannot possibly be the kobo!

Can anyone please help? I have spent hours on this and nothing has helped.

Thank you.
Zombateen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
First things... What O/S is on the computer? When you connect the Kobo does the computer recognize it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
kndlewis
Connoisseur
kndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watchkndlewis is clearly one to watch

Device: Current Favorite: Boox Leaf
This happened with my friend on his MAC. Turned out to be an apple security setting where he had to allow calibre to have access to devices. We found the fix in the calibe section of the forum. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=324208 is the thresd that helped my friend.
kndlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombateen View Post
Once a year I load our kobos (2) with books for our 3 weeks away from home.
This year, Calibre does not "see" either kobo with the result that I cannot load books that I have collected over the year on to the kobos. I have tried to get help from rakuten kobo but it's like talking to badly programmed androids. It just cannot be their fault. It must be Calibre or ADE or sunspots but cannot possibly be the kobo!
For the record, it probably isn't their fault. It is much more likely that something on your computer is blocking calibre from seeing the device. Or even simply that you have not update calibre to a version that supports the firmware on the device. And, Kobo does not provide any support for calibre at all. If you ask their support about calibre, their response should be that they don't support third-party applications and that you should seek support from the supplier of the application.

We can help, but your posts here and the ones in the calibre forum do not contain much information. It appears that you have a Mac and that an icon appears on the desktop. But, that ADE cannot see the device. That suggests that the Mac is the problem. So:
  • Exactly what happens when you plug the device in?
  • Can you access the device using the OS? Can you see the books? Open them? Copy a new one to the device manually?
  • Does calibre do anything when you start it after connecting the device? Does it start any of the device jobs? Show any error messages?
  • What versions are involved? Calibre and firmware.
  • Which Kobo device?
  • Have you tried different USB ports or cables? A different computer?
  • Does the device charge when connected? Or show that it has connected?

Answers to those questions should help to work out what the issue is. And if you think of anything else that might be pertinent, include that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
rjpawlak
Enthusiast
rjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchforkrjpawlak can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook STR and Nook Tablet
Is it possible that an old version of Calibre got restored or installed? I know that before I updated Calibre, it would not recognize my new Forma. Maybe it's worth installing the latest version...

Also make sure that your kobo is turned on, and that you allow access from the kobo screen (it will pop up a message when you plug it in).
rjpawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert