Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
anunay
anunay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle KT2
Kindle updated to FW 5.12.2, lost jailbreak

My kindle (KT2) updated to 5.12.2 (Even though I am pretty sure I had Prevent OTA updates enabled in KUAL). I am unable to Open KUAL now (Application Error - The selected application could not be started). ;log does nothing. I tried using the emergency.sh linked here, the script seems to have ran successfully but the ;log or ;mrpi command still don't work.
So Does that Mean I have lost jailbreak?, and Will I have to use the serial method to Jailbreak it again?
anunay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3944226
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 06:20 AM   #3
anunay

It seems I am dumb, and the ;log mrpi functionality is not lost, can you poke me in the direction of what bridge binary to install, I tried the K5 jailbreak from here, But it is labeled for 5.4 (I tried installing it still, MRPI rejects it saying cannot parse package) Do I also need to update MRPI?

EDIT: Updated MRPI, same problem.
Quote:
[2020-02-10 @ 16:59:09 +0530] :: [MRPI r16257] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.16.N_install.bin' (jailbreak bridge 1.16.N I) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.16.N_install.bin' (jailbreak bridge 1.16.N I) [return code: 126], skipping . . .

Last edited by anunay; 02-10-2020 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #4
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Have you tried to install the hotfix (K5 JailBreak Hotfix from the same page) as update?
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
anunay

Same error
Quote:
[2020-02-10 @ 17:11:06 +0530] :: [MRPI r16257] - Beginning the processing of package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.16.N I) . . .

Failed to parse package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.16.N_install.bin' (jailbreak hotfix 1.16.N I) [return code: 126], skipping . . .
EDIT: Okay I am dumb, I Should be installing the Hotfix via "Update your Kindle" Moneu, but that too Does not seem to work. It fails with the error.

Last edited by anunay; 02-10-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
anunay

I found a similar issue as someone was going through, here Well though, for me I updates MRPI, and it still doesn't work. Unless I didn't do something correctly? How is one supposed to update MRPI? Do I not just put the files in root.
Old 02-10-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
anunay

This is what I get when I try to install the 1.16 Hotfix:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2020_02_10T21_27_29+0530.png
Views:	159
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	177052  
Old 02-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Means the JB is kaput.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
anunay

Update: I seem to have obtained the jailbreak back. It seems it was entirely not lost.

I was able to install the hotfix (Which previously showed the error), KUAL and the rest of stuff.

Last edited by anunay; 02-11-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anunay View Post
. . . .

While taking a look at the Serial Jailbreak tutorial,

. . . . .
Please do not advertise either this question or the answer except by PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #11
anunay

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Please do not advertise either this question or the answer except by PM.
knc1 can you please clarify a little in PMs? Your PM seem to be off. and I am kinda confused
Old 02-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anunay View Post
knc1 can you please clarify a little in PMs? Your PM seem to be off. and I am kinda confused
I have PM'd NiLuJe to follow up with you.
Thanks a lot for the edit of the post, sorry if my PM was not clear. NiLuJe can do better.

Yes, there are restrictions on my PM access.
Mostly because I am no longer active in the development of jailbreaking. Nothing personal intended.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That just means you had an old/buggy bridge, that managed to restore its own script, but not the signing key.

Which doesn't really make sense to me, as restoring the key comes earlier in the process, and has much less restrictions on when it'll actually run (and what it needs to run successfully, which is pretty much nothing), but, hey, apparently, shit happens, and you're not the only one, because that's essentially what this capitalizes on.

I'm obviously unable to confirm where exactly the problem lies/lied, because I'm not updating any of my devices to 5.12.x, and all of 'em were always running the latest bridge anyway, because that's the one thing I always double-check to make sure there's not a catastrophic error in there that'd break the boot .

----

Pertaining to what you did, I'd urge you to run the hotfix/bridge install properly now, because the script you used is not aimed at current FW versions, and as such, you're quite likely still using a buggy/old/incomplete bridge .

(But, yeah, what you did makes sense, and at least did restore the key. My second paragraph should explain why my previous answer was "it's gone" .).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-11-2020 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:23 AM   #14
anunay

So the old bridge actually saved me, I feared i was going nowhere because I had a pretty old (like 2 year old) bridge on it, and the guide explicitly said that this method may not work on it.
Anyway I installed the JB hotfix after, rescue pack, kual and the usbnet. All seems to be working fine.
Though can you clarify a little on what knc1 said about my earlier post?
Old 02-12-2020, 06:41 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

He was afraid you might have sneaked in something new . Which is half true, since no-one had quite used it like that before .