Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many shops did you buy ebooks from in 2019?
None. (I use the library and/or Public Domain and/or freebies) 8 11.43%
1 (Why bother with more than 1?) 24 34.29%
2 (The best of both) 8 11.43%
3 (Comparison shopper) 11 15.71%
4 (Bargain hunter!) 6 8.57%
5 (Looking is half the fun) 2 2.86%
6 (They all go through calibre anyway) 3 4.29%
7 (I'd forgotten that one) 2 2.86%
8 (I didn't know there were this many left) 3 4.29%
9 (Yes, I'm sure) 0 0%
10+ (What can I say - I buy a lot!) 0 0%
The Blue one next to the Fish 3 4.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #31
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
It is interesting that the proportion of 1 store only has shot up for 2019 compared to lifetime.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It is interesting that the proportion of 1 store only has shot up for 2019 compared to lifetime.
It makes sense if you think about it. A lot of book stores have closed and companies have stopped selling devices.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It makes sense if you think about it. A lot of book stores have closed and companies have stopped selling devices.
And some of these may be people who just bought an ereader in the last year or two and haven't started exploring all the possible stores yet.

Also, in the lifetime poll some people weren't sure whether to include free sources like Gutenberg while this poll expressly stated not to count those.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:21 PM   #34
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
That's true, for me at least It's just easier to buy from one store. I started with different devices over the years and bought from their stores. but now I have just one store and one device brand .
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #35
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
And quite a few companies are now using stores that do not allow downloading and archiving purchases. For me and mine, this removed them from the stores we would purchase from.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 02:54 PM   #36
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And quite a few companies are now using stores that do not allow downloading and archiving purchases. For me and mine, this removed them from the stores we would purchase from.
These two reasons for me. A lot of the places I used to buy from have closed shop and I generally don't buy unless I can remove DRM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #37
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Of course. And since new ones have not sprung up to replace them consolidation is happening and choice diminishing.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #38
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
And some of these may be people who just bought an ereader in the last year or two and haven't started exploring all the possible stores yet.

Also, in the lifetime poll some people weren't sure whether to include free sources like Gutenberg while this poll expressly stated not to count those.
But the 1 only for 2019 responses were over double the previous polls total before the total responses for the 2019 pole were even have the total responses in the previous poll.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Maybe some of the people who posted in this thread just bought their first ereader in 2019 and haven't explored a bunch of stores?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Maybe some of the people who posted in this thread just bought their first ereader in 2019 and haven't explored a bunch of stores?
Maybe, but the previous poll presumably had a similar batch of people.

Since the 2 polls were conducted very close in time, I think it is clear that many mobileread members are spreading their purchases around much less than in the past.

I just noticed that the portion who have gone public domain and/or freebie only has doubled.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #41
fduniho
Addict
fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fduniho ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, DX, PW4, PW5, Scribe; Likebook Mars; Fire HD 8; iPad
I mainly bought from Amazon. I got some Alita collections from Comixology and one or two books, depending on when I bought the first one, from Google. I also read some free books and some library books. So, I answered 3.
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #42
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
I didn't see or vote in the previous poll. I voted in this one... I may have purchased a couple of cheap Amazon book titles (usually $0.99 or less using eReaderIQ to point me to the deals), but so far this year it has been library only.

Honestly, I didn't realize there were still so many avenues left for purchasing eBooks! Shows how much I know - I am NOT a "newbie" from 2019 either... Got my first eReader around 2013 IIRC.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:41 AM   #43
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
When prices are normally the same everywhere due to agency pricing, there is less incentive to shop around, so people end up at either:
a) The shop tied to their eReader
b) The shop with the best shopping experience
c) The shop with the best support
d) The shop with the best offers.
Or, to say the same thing in fewer words, Amazon.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #44
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
When prices are normally the same everywhere due to agency pricing, there is less incentive to shop around, so people end up at either:
a) The shop tied to their eReader
b) The shop with the best shopping experience
c) The shop with the best support
d) The shop with the best offers.
Or, to say the same thing in fewer words, Amazon.
You hit the nail on the head for me! I was a devout Kobo user...until about a year or so ago when I picked up my first (secondhand) Kindle. I couldn't believe how easy and simple it was to use and how it JUST WORKED. So now I split my reading between a Kindle and a Kobo (Kobo mainly because I can read my library eBooks on it... but with the sale of Overdrive, who knows what will happen there! This would remove the last specific feature I turn to Kobo for).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote