Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
nubble
nubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-booksnubble has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Kobo as home automation display

Hi,
I thought I would share what I have done in terms of using my kobo touch as the dispay interface to my home automation system [www.openhab.com].

I hacked the Kobo with Marek's debian image and used python and qt quick as the language and ui frameworks respectively.

The Kobo gets data from openhab via REST and display some of the data available. It also has buttons that can be pressed to switch on bedlights, etc linked to my home automation system.

Im displaying the following information retrieved from openhab:
- alarm state and open windows and doors
- sunrise and sunset times
- time and date
- electricity units left in the meter
- Energy power - total, fridges, geyser, pool, irrigation.
- chance of rain, current temperature [from sensors in the house]
- forecast temperature for today
- wind today
- weekly weather forecast
- state of my bedlight and electric blanket as button which can switch them on/off as well.

Ive added the app called QOK [Qt on Kobo - how original!! ] to the awesome menu.
Ive also added UsbNet to the menu, although I use wifi at home.

I framed it also using my unused dremel for the waf.

Now my next project is to do boat automation using the kobo display in full sun with the intention to use phonegap apps on the android image of kobo.

Here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8542.JPG
Views:	1081
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	146150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8543.JPG
Views:	845
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	146151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8544.JPG
Views:	780
Size:	393.0 KB
ID:	146152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8545.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	432.0 KB
ID:	146153  

Last edited by issybird; 02-11-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Oversize images deleted.
nubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #2
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
very interesting!
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Very nice!
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
That looks cool.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
stapelmoor
stapelmoor began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
web site link not working(
stapelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
OpenHAB now lives at openhab.org, which won't necessarily help you, as this thread is... more than 4 years old, and I don't see any mention of a link to the Kobo-specific bits anywhere anyways.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
DerDom
DerDom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 (G090G1)
This is the link to Marek's debian image: https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...b/linux/README

QOK can be found here: https://github.com/jasonhector/qok

Unfortunately, my Kobo doesn't have a removable SD card. Do you know how I could get it installed? E.g. with adb and fastboot?
DerDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:40 AM   #8
snoman
snoman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I looked at the source code for a moment and found that QOK is using Python+ Qt(PySide).
Are there Python + Pyside which can be run on Kobo? Or Built from source code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerDom View Post
This is the link to Marek's debian image: https://github.com/marek-g/kobo-kern...b/linux/README

QOK can be found here: https://github.com/jasonhector/qok

Unfortunately, my Kobo doesn't have a removable SD card. Do you know how I could get it installed? E.g. with adb and fastboot?
snoman is offline   Reply With Quote