Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
kleinste
Nameless Being

Does your Kindle attract dust?

My Kindle seems to attract an usually high amount of dust when I set it down for a couple of hours, no matter where I put it. Has anybody else found this with their Kindle?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleinste View Post
My Kindle seems to attract an usually high amount of dust when I set it down for a couple of hours, no matter where I put it. Has anybody else found this with their Kindle?
That's why I am one of the very few that does not like ereaders encased in black. It does not show on silver or graphite.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 AM   #3
kleinste
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
That's why I am one of the very few that does not like ereaders encased in black. It does not show on silver or graphite.
I agree - the graphite bezel of the K3 was stellar when it came to hiding grit and dust. On my K4, I'm actually noticing a lot of the dust is on the screen though, not just the bezel. It's acting like a regular little dust-magnet...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I had this problem with my first Kindle (NT Silver) and with the Black version (NT 2012) it's totally gone.

Maybe this has something to do how you clean your reading device. I used special tissue with alcohol to clean my first Kindle (something similar like these tissues that you use to clean your glasses). Now with my second Kindle, I don't clean it at all. I just use my t-shirt or pyjama to remove some dusk once in a while... But there isn't any.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #5
kleinste
Nameless Being

I don't treat this one any differently to my old one - I just wipe away the dust with a shirt sleeve when I can't read through it. It's pretty unsettling, as my house is as dust-free as it's possible to make it, but my Kindle's screen looks like it's been left outside in a sandstorm, whether I leave it in the cover or naked, whether I'm at home, work, on the train, in a car - anywhere. It attracts dust like a magnet.
Advert
Old 10-10-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
If you use your Kindle in full sunlight, there'll be some dusk, of course. Which might be a bit annoying if you look at your screensaver. But as soon as you start reading, you won't even notice this anymore. This is just the normal dusk. You'll have it at a book page too if you leave it open for 24 hours. You won't see it at the book, and you won't see it at your Kindle at evening or night..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:45 AM   #7
kleinste
Nameless Being

I read primarily indoors, and it dusts up so heavily that it obscures the text if I don't wipe the dust away frequently - this is whether or not I leave it in the case when I'm not using it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
My Kindle Touch gets dust and lint on the screen, where it gets trapped by the bezel. I clean it with a little brush when the dust gets too distracting.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The screen, somewhat. But, that's only if/when I leave it out naked. Otherwise, the cover gets most of the settling crud.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

a little bit of dust and cat hair. Worse though is the that it is a fingerprint magnet. I've had iPads which are certainly worse, but Kindles have never had the fingerprint problem until the PW. It is mostly an issue with the bezel, but this screen collects them too.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
I wonder if using a antistatic dryer sheet on the screen and then polishing it with a micro cloth would help screens that seem to be dust magnets?
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never noticed a problem with dust on either of my Kindles (K1 and K3).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

My K3 was a cat hair magnet around the edge of the screen because of the way it was put together. But dust was never an issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My K3 was a cat hair magnet around the edge of the screen because of the way it was put together. But dust was never an issue.
I had both with the K3. The edges impossible to clean. The K4 doesn't have that problem because they sealed that area. My dust problem is my Kindle Fire. Some of the K4s gets dust now and then but nothing compared to the screen of the Kindle Fire. It's a dust\cat hair magnet.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote