Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Why are you mentioning "deleting books from device" as advantage for boox neo?
You don't know how to do it in IREX800SG? It's right there on menu when you browsing books.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:56 AM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikov View Post
Why are you mentioning "deleting books from device" as advantage for boox neo?
You don't know how to do it in IREX800SG? It's right there on menu when you browsing books.
You're right of course. Just deleted it as an advantage of BeBook Neo.
Forgot about it on iRex 800, because I've built my library on it more than 2 months ago. Sorry for the mixup.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-22-2010 at 05:02 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #18
ZrZZ
ZrZZ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is Bebook Neo the same as: Onyx Boox? looks similar
ZrZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:41 AM   #19
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Yes, it is the same device with slightly different firmware.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #20
ZrZZ

Is Bebook Neo better than Sony 600? the screen? and what about the glimmer?

Thanks for the info/
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrZZ View Post
Is Bebook Neo better than Sony 600? the screen? and what about the glimmer?

Thanks for the info/
Personally, I don't have any problems with the screen of Sony 600.
But BeBook Neo has a WACOM screen = less glare, bigger clarity, better contrast.
Of touchscreen units, ranking of the screen quality:
#1 = BeBook Neo (Onyx Boox) and iRex 800
#2 = Sony 900
#3 = Sony 600
There are others of course. But those are the most recent ones from my batch.

Given the featureset, Sony is most advanced.
I'd say, Sony 900, Sony 600 and BeBook Neo are about even.
iRex 800 for the moment is behind, but the firmware update due in 4 weeks will close the gap.

My personal favorite for the moment is Sony 900. Quite frankly, I don't see any real need for Sony 600 in comparison.
BeBook Neo has great features, but it's less polished than Sony's units.
iRex 800 has the potential to take over the pole position, but we have to see about the firmware update.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:26 AM   #22
ZrZZ

thanks/
Old 05-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #23
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Personally, I don't have any problems with the screen of Sony 600.
But BeBook Neo has a WACOM screen = less glare, bigger clarity, better contrast.
Of touchscreen units, ranking of the screen quality:
#1 = BeBook Neo (Onyx Boox) and iRex 800
#2 = Sony 900
#3 = Sony 600
There are others of course. But those are the most recent ones from my batch.

Given the featureset, Sony is most advanced.
I'd say, Sony 900, Sony 600 and BeBook Neo are about even.
iRex 800 for the moment is behind, but the firmware update due in 4 weeks will close the gap.

My personal favorite for the moment is Sony 900. Quite frankly, I don't see any real need for Sony 600 in comparison.
BeBook Neo has great features, but it's less polished than Sony's units.
iRex 800 has the potential to take over the pole position, but we have to see about the firmware update.
Ug. I understand what you're saying about sony being more mature as far as features and usability; but that screen is just awful. I shouldn't have to try to find "the spot" where the screen doesn't bother me. I was really disappointed and I really tried to work with it because the rest of my experience with the 900 was fantastic; especially the dictionary with being able to double tap the word, very nice. I really hope the bebook neo or irex800 is able to replicate this in firmware but I doubt it. I am really freakin close to purchasing the irex800 over the bebook neo but I'm very concerned about getting a device that says it's going to have such and such feature but yet doesn't. I really hope v2 firmware takes care of that; at the very least, dictionary look up is extremely important to me and sony's implementation of that is fantastic...but that screen..bleh.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:56 PM   #24
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
I don't believe dictionary support is planned for the 2.0 firmware release.

[Citation]
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #25
sagiquarion
sagiquarion began at the beginning.

Device: bebook neo, PRS-900 DE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
I don't believe dictionary support is planned for the 2.0 firmware release.

[Citation]
Bah! I guess that seals it then. No dictionary, no deal. Maybe I can force myself to get so pissy with the prs900 screen if I can find a great ebay deal on one.
sagiquarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:13 AM   #26
lolivierlol
lolivierlol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox - Firmware 1.4beta20100528
Newspapers and scientifics articles : The match !

Bebook neo and irex 800 are quite good for standard books.
But, I would like to know how about scientifics articles in two columns like

http://etrij.etri.re.kr/Cyber/servle...-1159514406715

And if bebook neo have wifi, is it possible to have directly newspaper like on pressdisplay. I have seen you can transfert on irex 800 with a reader and for bebook neo ?
Wifi could be a better solution to have newspapers anywhere ??

For me, it is may be a real difference about zoom on newspapers and the time to change or to go to next page...

lolivierlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 AM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolivierlol View Post
Bebook neo and irex 800 are quite good for standard books.
But, I would like to know how about scientifics articles in two columns like

http://etrij.etri.re.kr/Cyber/servle...-1159514406715

And if bebook neo have wifi, is it possible to have directly newspaper like on pressdisplay. I have seen you can transfert on irex 800 with a reader and for bebook neo ?
Wifi could be a better solution to have newspapers anywhere ??

For me, it is may be a real difference about zoom on newspapers and the time to change or to go to next page...

You don't have the PressReader application on BeBook Neo, as you have on iRex 800.
But you can generate various formats (ePUB, ...) on PressReader and always can use those.
PressReader really is a great application. But there's a major downside to many users: Even though they already have lots of papers, still many major ones are missing. For me in Germany for example ALL the big ones are missing. They have "obscure small ones", but neither my local ones nor the 5 biggest ones.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
lolivierlol
lolivierlol began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox - Firmware 1.4beta20100528

I have the 5.0.9 PressReader on Mac OSX and a subscription to pressdisplay.
I import many newspapers on my computer.
But :
I don't see export format on PressReader !!
I try to print a newspaper in pdf but it is not allowed...
(Oh, I found on the site pressdisplay the exporting button for epub format)...

So Bebook Neo is not a the good candidate for newspapers, isn't it ?
(Hum, It sould be a good one, how it's look like on Bebook ?)

But, the wifi solution with direct delivery... a dream for now.
(sorry for the many comment, I just looking for the best solution)

Last edited by lolivierlol; 05-13-2010 at 06:28 AM.
lolivierlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolivierlol View Post

I have the 5.0.9 PressReader on Mac OSX and a subscription to pressdisplay.
I import many newspapers on my computer.
But :
I don't see export format on PressReader !!
I try to print a newspaper in pdf but it is not allowed...
(Oh, I found on the site pressdisplay the exporting button for epub format)...

So Bebook Neo is not a the good candidate for newspapers, isn't it ?
(Hum, It sould be a good one, how it's look like on Bebook ?)

But, the wifi solution with direct delivery... a dream for now.
(sorry for the many comment, I just looking for the best solution)
Concerning "candidates for newspapers":
First of all, I'd choose a touchscreen reader. "Jumping" into articles, zooming in and all those other features only seem convenient enough via touchscreen interface to me.
To me, 6" is critical for newspapers. One of the main advantages of PressReader is its layout structure. So I'd say: The bigger, the better.
I'd recommend iRex 1000S, then iRex 800. Spring Design's Alex may be an interesting alternative because of the advanced webbrowser. Neo certainly wouldn' be my first choice (for newspapers).
Maybe Sony 900 is worth checking out as well. Rotating and having 2-pan-view may be close to newspaper layout (hard to read though).
Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #30
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I use the Irex 800 with newspaper direct. Full page turns are a little slow, but otherwise it is great, a real "newspaper feel". The Epub files are just like the Calibre generated papers, not really what I am looking for. MGMueller is right, the German newspaper selection they have is mostly for the dogs (with a few exceptions) but I don't want to read a lot of local news, sports, and ads, anyway. I like the International Herald Tribune, perhaps the most informative. Not all papers can be downloaded to the reader though. I send them an e-mail and they gave me a free month trial.

Yes, direct download by WiFi is the only thing I miss.

Last edited by HansTWN; 05-13-2010 at 08:39 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook neo, irex 800, touchscreen