Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Finished the omnibus last night. Wow! Loved it! The ending of Wool 5 was perfect in that it left the obvious opening for continuation but still wrapped things up enough to feel like an actual stopping point.

Can't wait for the next one! Wool 6 will actually not be Wool 6 but the start of a new Wool-based series. There's more info on his blog that Jerry linked to above, but don't go digging too much if you haven't read all of this one yet.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd have to agree. I've only made it as far as the first two, but I've been really impressed with the writing, so far. Can be quite bleak, but I'm more than OK with that. Dystopian and all.

Only one niggling little detail so far (the first two):
Spoiler:
Electricity, external cameras/sensors, labs, server-rooms, AC, hospitals, hydroponics, communications... over one-hundred levels in this man-made, underground silo yet no one thought an elevator might come in handy? One central stairwell? I'm hoping the author at least takes a stab at reconciling that little bit of implausibility at some point along the way.

It's not dragging me down or anything, but it's still in the back of my mind a lot. For those in the know: feel free to keep silent if I'm worrying over nothing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
**keeping silent**
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's exactly what I needed... Thanks sooooo much!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #20
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm so glad you both liked it. I'm not scheduled to read it until late March but it's looking really good. *excited*
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #21
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Busy time at the moment so I am still reading it. So far though it is brilliant. I thought the same as you DiapDealer but I think it adds to the story and is somewhat symbolic.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #22
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I finished this over the weekend and thought it was outstanding overall. I will say I preferred the narrative structure of the first three stories more than the last two, but that's just me being picky. Many people seem to enjoy extremely short chapters that all come with a guaranteed POV change, so I can't really fault the author for doing it. But it was the more coherent, single POV style of the first three stories that I really fell for in the first place. Still... great characters, great concept, and waaaay above average execution. Hugh Howey deserves attention.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-26-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #23
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
For anyone who's been on the fence about these books, the first three plus the first in Hugh's Molly Fyde series are available for free today.

http://www.hughhowey.com/?p=1885
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer;....................................... ..........................................Only one niggling little detail so far (the first two):
[SPOILER
Me too - plus power source choice ?

(Sorry don't know how to hide things..... )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Me too - plus power source choice ?

(Sorry don't know how to hide things..... )
Everything was eventually rationalized to my satisfaction, though. There were valid reasons for everything... I was just being impatient as a reader.
Spoiler:
Use the eye with the red X over it to hide things behind a spoiler button.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #26
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Wool 1, 2 and 3 were free on Amazon.com today.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #27
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm still OK that I purchased the omnibus. It was cheap as chips. But I definitely snapped up Molly Fyde and the Parsona Rescue in case I like Wool as much as I'm expecting to.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
A new Wool story was released last week. I have only just noticed. Cheap as chips at Amazon.

Titled
First Shift - Legacy (Part 6 Of The Silo Series) (Wool)
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd have to agree. I've only made it as far as the first two, but I've been really impressed with the writing, so far. Can be quite bleak, but I'm more than OK with that. Dystopian and all. ..................
It's not dragging me down or anything, but it's still in the back of my mind a lot. For those in the know: feel free to keep silent if I'm worrying over nothing.

Diap, that really bugged me, too, but I think it's easy to explain - the salesmen from Otis simply missed the chance to make a BIG killing, what with the world situation and everything.......

[ And the infrastructure would probably need to be as big as the silo, come to think of it.... ]
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:24 AM   #30
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Oh - I've realised that I never posted back about this. Wool scored my indie review site's first 5 star review.

Great stuff! Definitely a fan now.