Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre uses directory of books as structure

I would like to use Calibre, it seems to be a great program that does a lot of things I need, but I am not willing to create a duplicate of all my ebooks just to put them in Calibre's system.

In the FAQ, I read "The whole point of calibre's library management features is that they provide a search and sort based interface for locating books that is much more efficient than any possible directory scheme you could come up with for your collection.".

Am I to understand that the directory structure forms the book database, rather than storing the information in a real, seperate database ? This seems a little strange.
If it is not possible to move away from using the directories as a database, would it not be possible for Calibre to only store links to the actual ebook files, obviating the need for copying the files themselves ?

TIA.
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehat View Post
I would like to use Calibre, it seems to be a great program that does a lot of things I need, but I am not willing to create a duplicate of all my ebooks just to put them in Calibre's system.

In the FAQ, I read "The whole point of calibre's library management features is that they provide a search and sort based interface for locating books that is much more efficient than any possible directory scheme you could come up with for your collection.".

Am I to understand that the directory structure forms the book database, rather than storing the information in a real, seperate database ? This seems a little strange.
If it is not possible to move away from using the directories as a database, would it not be possible for Calibre to only store links to the actual ebook files, obviating the need for copying the files themselves ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 and http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tory-structure give some explanation for why calibre works the way it does. The latter also says "Finally, if you are irrevocably wedded to the filesystem, feel free to patch your local copy of calibre to use whatever storage scheme you like. But, do not bother me with requests to change the directory structure, they will be ignored." I think that answers your question.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
stonehat
Re-Iliadist
stonehat began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 and http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....tory-structure give some explanation for why calibre works the way it does. The latter also says "Finally, if you are irrevocably wedded to the filesystem, feel free to patch your local copy of calibre to use whatever storage scheme you like. But, do not bother me with requests to change the directory structure, they will be ignored." I think that answers your question.
The authors of both of those explanations seem incapable of contemplating the use of a database to store ( ebook meta ) data instead of using a wierd directory structure in a file system - the rest of the world thinks differently.

And, sheesh, if that is an indication of the way Calibre people take on new ( to them ) ideas, I will stay well away !
stonehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
This is not a new idea. It has been around for years and is brought up about once a month. Typically it's brought up in a fashion not nearly as nice as you did. That said there has not been a convincing enough argument to change the current directory structure.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
The authors of both of those explanations seem incapable of contemplating the use of a database to store ( ebook meta ) data instead of using a wierd directory structure in a file system - the rest of the world thinks differently.
Understand what you are speaking about before opening your mouth to bleat.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

TIA.
Might be good for 20-100 books... But some users have 20K or more.

Plus
Using your idea: 1 tiny DB burp and books are gone.
BLOBs are not as robust as what we have.

Metadata.db can be totally destroyed and the books are still there.
In addition, Calibre backs up the record with the titles metadata in the same folder.
Calibre can rebuild the DB from this data.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #7
redsky
redsky began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Understand what you are speaking about before opening your mouth to bleat.
What a charming chap.
redsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Aaaand here we go again XD... I wonder if Kovidgoyal has a bet about how long he can say no to this request from the users.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
Aaaand here we go again XD... I wonder if Kovidgoyal has a bet about how long he can say no to this request from the users.
It's been said again and again that if someone wants to do the work to create a new backend that allows for this then by all means do so. Kovid has been working on making the DB pluggable to support cases like this. However, Kovid as well as every other calibre developer has no interest in this feature. We will not spend our time working on it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
The metadata is stored in a database. To be precise, it's stored in an SQLite database file named metadata.db

Quote:
And, sheesh, if that is an indication of the way Calibre people take on new ( to them ) ideas, I will stay well away !
It's not a new idea. As Manichean said in one of the linked-to threads, "There's been enough of that discussion already, and at best you'll get annoyed reactions by everyone."

Last edited by avantman42; 07-19-2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Added formatting to make things clearer
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Calibre stores its contents in a database. A file system IS a database and calibre is using it. Where's the problem?

Last edited by ThR; 07-19-2011 at 07:45 AM.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessangel View Post
No need to bet. I am never going to say yes to something I think is bad for calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky View Post
What a charming chap.
Actually, Kovid is being quite charming under the circumstances. Every month or few, we have someone who comes to this forum to complain about calibre not using the user's folder/filename tree and reject any explainations from the FAQs, the developers, and other users. We even have one person who comes back to the forum for the sole purpose of compaining about it. After a while, the attacks become tiresome.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #14
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
As explained already, there is nothing new about this. As far as staying well away goes, thank you.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
As explained already, there is nothing new about this. As far as staying well away goes, thank you.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directory copy ebooks