Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
nola2london
nola2london began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Replace Kindle Voyage - Kobo or Inkpad 3?

Hi, I am new to this site and I am looking to replace my Kindle Voyage which is starting to die.

First off I am trying to leave the Amazon world (so no new kindle) and most of my reading is from the library. I mainly read novels (fiction) with some graphic novels (which is not easy on my kindle device). I read during the day and night and I am not so technically inclined. So I will probably not do a lot of tweaking or personalising my e-reader. I live in Europe and borrow books from both a US library and my Luxembourg library.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Kobo Libra H20 and either the Inkbook 3 or Inkbook 3 pro. I am not so bothered by price I just want a good device.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated !
nola2london is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
You might want to look at the new Tolinos as well. They've just updated their whole line with the same hardware as Kobo uses (except the Shine 3 was already a Kobo Clara clone).

https://mytolino.com/

EDIT: Meant to mention, Tolinos work well borrowing from libraries, especially in Europe.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-16-2019 at 08:35 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You might want to look at the new Tolinos as well. They've just updated their whole line with the same hardware as Kobo uses (except the Shine 3 was already a Kobo Clara clone).

https://mytolino.com/
My question is, is the firmware better then Kobo or is Kobo better then Tolinos?

The only thing I know is that with Kobo, you can get very good support for here on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2london View Post
Right now I am trying to decide between the Kobo Libra H20 and either the Inkbook 3 or Inkbook 3 pro. I am not so bothered by price I just want a good device.
I know it was a typo, but be aware that there are Inkbook eReaders (though there's not the model 3 or 3 pro).
Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My question is, is the firmware better then Kobo or is Kobo better then Tolinos?

The only thing I know is that with Kobo, you can get very good support for here on MR.
I like Tolinos a lot (as you know) but you're right about the Kobo's support on MR.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
nola2london

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I know it was a typo, but be aware that there are Inkbook eReaders (though there's not the model 3 or 3 pro).
Thank you, I did not think of that. I will look at the Tolinos as I do not know much about them.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Thank you, I did not think of that. I will look at the Tolinos as I do not know much about them.
The Kobos do have more features (and better support here on MR). And since the hardware is the same now, firmware may be your deciding factor. (I kind of like the simplicity of the Tolino firmware, but I'm in the minority here.)
Old 10-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #8
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Tolino readers are Kobo clones but I think they have worse firmwares. You should go for Libra.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Tolino readers are Kobo clones but I think they have worse firmwares. You should go for Libra.
I think the PocketBooks are pretty good readers also (just going by reviews). I think all three of these (Kobo, Tolino and PocketBook are made by Netronix). I like the fact that Tolinos have Adobe DRM built right into them, so you download books directly from libraries and book stores (even the Kobo bookstore). Since I use Linux and don't want to run Wine, this is how I get my Adobe DRM protected ePubs. No computer necessary.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Both have pluses and minuses. Based on my epos, tolino supports landscape for reading, has had pages left in the chapter for a while, shows page number in the ToC, the epub rendering is good. But, reading adjustments are closer to a Kindle, it doesn't show any metadata beyond the author and title, collections are folder based, only author and title sorting, no series info.

Overall, it is good and works well. But, it feels more basic. Sort of Windows 3.1 vs Window 95. The epos is an excellent device, but, I found the Aura ONE worked better for me overall.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 03:15 AM   #11
nola2london

Thank you for the suggestions ! I think I will go for the Kobo.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:35 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you for the suggestions ! I think I will go for the Kobo.
I hope I am not too late, but there are two distinct features on the Tolino Epos 2 the Kobo Forma doesn't have.

- It ask you for permission to rotate the screen, meaning when the device would like to turn an icon pops up and you have to touch it before it rotates. Acutally I was/am quite keen on this.

- It comes with a 25 GB Tolino cloud and at least here in Germany with free wifi access to all the Telekoms hotspots in the country. That I love too, as I don't maintain a paid Dropbox cloud and 2 GB free storage aren't much to write home about.

I can't say much about the software though. It seems alright for me, there just aren't any patches for it, so this is where the Forma wins. For those who patch that is. I don't so this is useless for me.

I ordered a Forma right the day before the Tolino Epos 2 started selling. Normally I am very well informed about what goes on ereaderwise, but this I didn't see in time. Now I would love to get the Tolino instead of the Forma but it would be unfair to the vendor to send the used Forma (four days, but used nonetheless) back only to get a very similar Tolino. But had I realized there is a Tolino Epos 2, I would have bought it instead of the Forma.

There are videos on youtube about the Tolino, AFAIK the software is nice enough.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #13
nola2london

I tried posting a reply but it did not show up, so I hope I don't duplicate myself here !

I ended up buying the Pocketbook as I could not find a vendor in my area for the Kobo Libra. The pocketbook as been a complete disappointment and the help desk has been....no help.

For one week I have been struggling with transferring books from my overdrive account to the ereader and for some reason it doesn't work or read the adobe id.

But honestly I have had 3 or 4 kindles and never had such bad customer service. I am trying to get away from the Amazon hold on the market so I think I will try the Tolino or Kobo.

I'm definitely returning this Pocketbook and would suggest against it.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Accordingto what I've read on MR, Tolino uses Android and the reading software is poor. The firmware on Kobo is much better and the reading software works no problem.

Plus, there is great support for Kobo on MR. So I'd go with Kobo for the better software and the community in MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
...For one week I have been struggling with transferring books from my overdrive account to the ereader and for some reason it doesn't work or read the adobe id.

But honestly I have had 3 or 4 kindles and never had such bad customer service. I am trying to get away from the Amazon hold on the market so I think I will try the Tolino or Kobo.

I'm definitely returning this Pocketbook and would suggest against it.
I'm sorry to hear this. Have you tried posting to the Pocketbook forum (here on MR)? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=206 There may be someone there who has had the same issue and knows the solution. Overdrive books are definitely supposed to work with Pocketbook readers, Overdrive even links to Pocketbook on their support page (as well as Nook, Tolino and Kobo — Kindle is on a separate page). https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/9990.html