Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
Limmer
Limmer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Transferring to SD card from Desktop app

Can I transfer my purchased books to an SD card from the desktop app? I do not want to have to install any other programs or software.
Limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limmer View Post
Can I transfer my purchased books to an SD card from the desktop app? I do not want to have to install any other programs or software.
Not that I am aware of. I suspect not as the device holds the kobo epubs in a specific folde on the main memory

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
No, at least not with the OSX desktop app, which stores the books in a database as individual pages or chunks.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #4
Limmer

That is frustrating. How do you expand the memory then? Or is that not for your books purchased through the Kobo website?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The main memory should hold close to 1000 Kobo formatted books. I'm guessing most people will replace the reader before they buy that many--and who knows how much internal memory we will see on future readers. Most folks seem fine loading ePUB and PDF files (from Kobobooks and elsewhere) on cards and using main memory for their synced proprietary formatted books. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting it the other way, of course.

In the event that someone does actually purchase too many books for the reader main memory, there are a few different choices. You can delete older books, and rely on the fact that you can download them again from the purchased list on the Kobo site.

It is also possible to backup your sqlite and images file and start fresh with re-downloading only the books you currently want. That seems really complicated, but that's me. For myself, even if I am reading a Kobo formatted book, I download the ePUB for archive purposes. Not that I expect Kobo to misplace my purchased list, or go out of business, but it does make it easier in case I decide to change readers or do not have access to Kobobooks.com at some point in the future.

The new wifi Kobo stores what they call kepub files outside of the sqlite Db in a folder within the .kobo directory. I have no idea what would happen if you moved them to the SD card to make room for a really big synced library.

Last edited by taming; 11-14-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: more thoughts ;)
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
Limmer

It is not so much that I will fill it up but I do like to organize. I wanted a card for mystery, one for biography etc. Oh well. Maybe with my next reader I will look specifically for that.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Limmer--easy to do with the other format Kobo supports--ePUB though the ability to organize by category would be great on main memory or not.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #8
HarryH
Enthusiast
HarryH began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Version 1 firmware v 1.8.3
Transferring to SD card from Desktop app

Reading this post I get the impression we cannot Back up our kobo files in case of a major problem

I have the kobo reader on charge , and can see all the files , folders, that are on the machine ... two are hidden

Do I have a restoration copy that can be transfered to another unit ... I would like to think so , a safety measure for my purchased books

Harry
HarryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryH View Post
Reading this post I get the impression we cannot Back up our kobo files in case of a major problem

I have the kobo reader on charge , and can see all the files , folders, that are on the machine ... two are hidden

Do I have a restoration copy that can be transfered to another unit ... I would like to think so , a safety measure for my purchased books

Harry
Save your books using Calibre on your PC.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Backup on my Windows 7 machine for kobobooks is here: C:\Users\Taming\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition

I am running the beta, so it may be slightly different for other folks, but it has always been in AppData. The books are now in a folder called kepub. You can, of course, include this location in your routine backup to a removable disk or the cloud.

Last edited by taming; 11-19-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
dwmurray57
dwmurray57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I use Calibre and it allows me to put my ebooks to either Main memory or SD card.
dwmurray57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #12
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmurray57 View Post
I use Calibre and it allows me to put my ebooks to either Main memory or SD card.
I think the issue was putting Kobo's (or Borders') books on the SD card. I put all my public domain/DRM free books on the SD card and that leaves plenty of room for the purchased books on the Kobo. I did actually lose the lot in a spectacular out-of-the-blue crash and just redownloaded them from Borders (same set-up as Kobo Books).
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Davec33
Davec33 began at the beginning.

taming,

If I look in C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition on my win7, the kepub folder appears to be empty (and shows 0 bytes) ??
Davec33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Mine has files, but I have the 1.8 beta of the desktop and the 1.8 beta of the kobo-o firmware. You will not have files there until 1.8 is released for Kobo-o (from what I know that will be in a few weeks--but that is my best guess, not a promise from Kobo). I believe that in earlier editions, including the one you have now, the books were stored within the sqlite Db.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Davec33
Davec33 began at the beginning.

Thanks Taming,

Yes, I have the database file Kobo.sqlite in that directory.
Davec33 is offline   Reply With Quote