Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Paperwhite 3 hardware issue, locking after ~2 seconds

PW3, 5.9.2.0.1, no known damage, no warranty, no ads

Not sure if there is anything I can do about this. The kindle keeps locking very quickly after its unlocked. I can plug it into USB and it will turn on and then will lock again very quickly.

The kindle was updated after these problems were noticed, and by the time I got it there was no jailbreak for me to attempt to disable anything.

I noticed that it can reboot slower sometimes if I am in the settings menu, but I have not even been able to type in ~ds in the search box because it turns off before it does that. What could the problem be?

I suspect it can be the following:

bad magnetic sensor when used with a case it always turns on when the screen opens, but turns off quickly)

broken lock button that engages frequently (it sometimes takes a few times to turn it on pressing repeatedly, long press seems to work though)

bad ram

faulty touchscreen? (doubtful)

(I also notice that slapping it from the back will turn it on, and that if I bend the top with a little pressure, it stays on longer)

If its the lock button I think it can be fixed, but bad ram means its the end for this kindle. Anyone have suggestions?

Last edited by Nausicaa; 06-07-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
What do you mean by "lock up", do you mean going back to the screensaver, or it just stops responding to tough?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It goes back to the lockscreen/screensaver
Old 06-08-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you plug it into a computer, doesn't anything weird happen about connection and disconnection?

If not, I'd say it probably sounds like the magnet sensor or the power switch, yeah.

Although, does it ever turn iteslf back on? If not, make it sound more like the magnet sensor.

I don't know any way to disable that for testing, other than replacing parts. I'm not sure if the magnet is in the screen unit, or the logicboard unit.

I'd say go for it, and take it apart. Pry the front cover off with your fingernails and a gift card, undo the screws, and pull it out, and take a look at the power switch. If that looks fine, soo if it goes back to sleep like this, just loose.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 AM   #5
Nausicaa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you plug it into a computer, doesn't anything weird happen about connection and disconnection?

If not, I'd say it probably sounds like the magnet sensor or the power switch, yeah.

Although, does it ever turn iteslf back on? If not, make it sound more like the magnet sensor.

I don't know any way to disable that for testing, other than replacing parts. I'm not sure if the magnet is in the screen unit, or the logicboard unit.

I'd say go for it, and take it apart. Pry the front cover off with your fingernails and a gift card, undo the screws, and pull it out, and take a look at the power switch. If that looks fine, soo if it goes back to sleep like this, just loose.
the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. i noticed that it drains the battery when i don't touch it at all. it keeps going on a lock/unlock loop so i think it may be more than the magnetic sensor or something else. very odd behavior!

Ok so tip for anyone opening it up:

1. there is a screw over the tape at the top. I was stuck for an hour and damaged my case. it's behind the sticky tape.

2. the front light and the hall sensor (magnetic sensor for nerds) is on the same strip. i had disconnected the power (still had the same problem) then the light and the sensor and it wouldn't turn on at all.

3. the hall monitor on the bottom right of the kindle. mine wasn't soldered on right, it looks fine but i taped it up and called it a day. i'll see if it's ok.

my problem is solved for now! wish i could jb it!

Last edited by Nausicaa; 06-09-2018 at 06:03 AM.
Advert
Old 06-09-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post

my problem is solved for now! wish i could jb it!

If you learned how to open it up, thats half the work on doing the serial port jailbreak :-)

I know thats not for everyone, but there's little to no chance they'll stop that method in the future.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Nausicaa
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
If you learned how to open it up, thats half the work on doing the serial port jailbreak :-)

I know thats not for everyone, but there's little to no chance they'll stop that method in the future.
I already have the FTDI chip, I had doubt about doing it because it said it needed 5.6.x in the outdated readme, and that I needed a special FTDI chip, but I read that someone else used the same cheap $1 I used with no problems, it simply had to move the jumper (although it seems that the picture from that post is gone. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=61 I think that it automatically switches? I might do it next even if there is no way to disable the hall monitor on the kindle.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:30 AM   #8
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
I already have the FTDI chip, I had doubt about doing it because it said it needed 5.6.x in the outdated readme, and that I needed a special FTDI chip, but I read that someone else used the same cheap $1 I used with no problems, it simply had to move the jumper (although it seems that the picture from that post is gone. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=61 I think that it automatically switches? I might do it next even if there is no way to disable the hall monitor on the kindle.

For the ftdi, the specifics are that the kindle runs at 1.8 volts. To common consensus is that normal 5 volts will brick it. I personally used a 3.3v and I would personally keep doing that, but other guys will be hard line on 1.8 volts.

For 5.6 vs other versions, the specific commands may change on what keys mean what in the diagnostic module, but it think in general good, but check in on the aerial jailbreaking thread to see if I missed something on that.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
Nausicaa
Connoisseur

I read that the device changes to 1.8v automatically from that post. I like the pin idea that someone did too. I am asking now if it works with a microSD card, so that I may add a switch to the kindle along with an internal memory mod.