Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-13-2015, 02:34 AM   #46
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I honestly don't think anyone at Amazon, including the legal teams, has even looked at this type of situation properly. They probably don't actually close many accounts and they have not yet come across anyone with large digital libraries. No doubt right now it's dealt with in a one off basis but it may become more problematic going forward. But until we have laws Amazon, and any other company, can act with impunity.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My Cloud Drive is with Dropbox. I'd never trust that with Amazon. I have ebooks and Audibles only.

I've only ever bought TV shows/films from iTunes and I have those on DVD as well. When we buy music it's always the CD, hubby likes iTunes and MP3 but he would never buy only digital music, just like I won't buy only digital TV/films, we like the hard copy too.

We need laws to protect digital content but we won't see that in my lifetime I very much doubt.
Quote:
I honestly don't think anyone at Amazon, including the legal teams, has even looked at this type of situation properly. They probably don't actually close many accounts and they have not yet come across anyone with large digital libraries. No doubt right now it's dealt with in a one off basis but it may become more problematic going forward. But until we have laws Amazon, and any other company, can act with impunity.
I'm not seeing much fact here, just random speculation and soapboxing.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 08:08 AM   #48
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
We need laws to protect digital content but we won't see that in my lifetime I very much doubt.
I think we'll see them sometime in the next 5-10 years.

And you're right that we need them. I appreciate pdurrant's efforts to get a definitive statement out of Amazon but even that would only be a statement of current policy which they could change at any time.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #49
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm not seeing much fact here, just random speculation and soapboxing.
With all due respect I am privy to 'facts' you don't know about which my husband does not want me to share.

I still think we need laws to cover owning or renting digital content which cover either a reasonable term or the lifetime of the buyer.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-13-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:28 AM   #50
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
With all due respect I am privy to 'facts' you don't know about.
I would appreciate it if people with private knowledge that they are unable to share, do not post that knowledge as speculation, as it cannot be checked.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 AM   #51
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I would appreciate it if people with private knowledge that they are unable to share, do not post that knowledge as speculation, as it cannot be checked.
Apologies, the only 'private' information I have is similar to the email you shared.

Last edited by Josieb1; 10-13-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 08:39 AM   #52
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Once again, I remind everyone that this thread is not about why Amazon might choose to close someone's account, only what effect that would have on the customer's access to purchased digital content.

In particular, it is not concerned with any particular individual's situation.

I will delete any further comments that are pure speculation, or are about irrelevant individual circumstances.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 AM   #53
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I was serious about deleting posts. Apologies if anyone feels they have been prevented from responding to an earlier comment that hasn't been deleted, but enough's enough.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:25 AM   #54
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think the bottom line is to back up everything you possibly can. For no matter the reason, digital content can and probably will disappear for any number of reasons. I'm already regretting some digital purchases that cannot be backed up. Thankfully books and music can be backed up. Video, games, and apps are a different matter, and if one must use cloud storage, perhaps more than one cloud provider would be wise.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #55
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I got a reply:

Spoiler:

Thanks for using Amazon.co.uk. My name is Hussain from Amazon Kindle Support team. I'll do my best to answer your query.

Firstly, I'd like to assure you that we value all our customers and appreciate your association with us.

At this time, I'd like to confirm that if your account is closed for any reason, it is true that you will lose access to your purchased Digital content.

However, please stay assured, that unless the request doesn't come from your end, Your account is secure and active.

With regards to the instances you have mentioned, about the closure of accounts, it depends on various factors as there is a separate department that deals with these decisions.

I see that you have been associated with Amazon.co.uk since long and has been a regular buyer of the products and services from Amazon.co.uk. We definitely would like to continue the same relationship with you.

Meanwhile, I'll also take your email as a feedback and forward it to our concerned team so that the option of making the availability of the Digital content even after closure of the account regardless of any reason.

Finally, if you have any other concerns or issues, please feel free to forward further comments and suggestions about our website to us. Each suggestion will be read and taken into consideration by our business team.

I hope this information helps.

I feel this is a first level support person who has just looked up closing an account from a user request point of view, and hasn't addressed my point about the 2012 announcement.

I have asked for an explicit statement on whether that policy is no longer in effect, and hopefully that'll get it bounced higher.

[EDIT: To answer AnemicOak's question, this was through a contact form at Amazon.co.uk, specifying Kindle as the reason for contact from a drop-down. I couldn't find a separate link for Kindle-specific support.]
Thanks for posting this, from what I gather there is a "Concern Team" that will get the question of making Digital Content available ( purchased Content ) if the account was closed for any reason. I do hope that happens.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #56
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
I think the bottom line is to back up everything you possibly can. For no matter the reason, digital content can and probably will disappear for any number of reasons. I'm already regretting some digital purchases that cannot be backed up. Thankfully books and music can be backed up. Video, games, and apps are a different matter, and if one must use cloud storage, perhaps more than one cloud provider would be wise.
I agree, as more people are joining Amazon services everyday. Back up everything you can, just in case. You never know what can happen.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #57
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The instances of Amazon actually closing accounts seem to be rather rarer than hens' teeth, and are generally done for returning multiple big-ticket items. ISTR that the last person we had on MR whining about it had returned several expensive Digital SLR cameras and TVs. Ie he was using Amazon as a method of trying out devices he had no intention of permanently keeping. Hardly surprising Amazon would get fed up with him in those circumstances.

Yet another reason to ensure that you have your digital content safely backed-up.
That doesn't matter. You bought those e-books and it would be almost criminal to take away all your legally bought e-books.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #58
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
It's the nature of forums and of discussions in general that they sometimes wander a bit from their starting place. That's human nature. And it's an important part of how we use discussions to learn and grow.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 01:44 PM   #59
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
It's the nature of forums and of discussions in general that they sometimes wander a bit from their starting place. That's human nature. And it's an important part of how we use discussions to learn and grow.

Barry
I totally agree. It's getting a little too heavy handed around here lately. It makes the conversations not as enjoyable, imo. I'm sure this will be deleted since I'm off topic, but my 2 cents worth anyway.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #60
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
You're right, I was assuming you already had the Kindle for PC registered, which I think most Kindle owners would have.
Why?

I do, since my primary destination for any e-book purchase/download from anywhere is inclusion in my Calibre library, but why would *most* average Kindle owners even know about Kindle 4 PC? You buy a book from Amazon, and like magic, the book appears on your Kindle. That's the basic premise of the Amazon 'ecosystem'. K4PC is basically intended for people who *don't* have a Kinde and want to read on their computers, without requiring always-on internet. That's a pretty selective subset these days.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote