Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Unhappy My kobo just wiped itself. Firmware 3.12

My Kobo just wiped itself. It was on 3.12 (I religiously update) and I've been using it for a long time without the slightest problem, but just now in the holiday season, when I'm away of my pc and my collection of epub backups (the real collection resided on the kobo, of course), it decided to go berserk on me. I plugged it in to charge, and when I came back a couple of hours later, it displayed the 'connect me to a computer' screen (no computer handy, of course)...

Any ideas what might have caused this? I know I can never trust the bloody thing again, all my books are gone...

I'm so pissed of!

Have any of you had this problem before, and if you have, what did you do about it (to live with this happening again in the future, for instance)? Keep a 'Calibre' library ready for just in case?

Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Some chargers are wired so Kobo reader thinks it is connected to a computer dislaying "charge or sync?" screen. The one I had with this problem I always selected charge then no problem. You might have lost power long enough to trigger this screen while away. My charger listed for Motorola phone does not cause "charge or sync?" screen to display. The charger that caused the "charge or sync?" screen to display would not charge my old Motorolla flip phone because it wanted to scync with a computer.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
As a preventative measure, on our vacations my husband and I each take 2 Kobos, one as backup. The first time I traveled with my Kobo I realized that I had a single point of failure. (I was on a trip where the purpose was rest and relaxation, and reading as many books as I could) It could get lost, stolen, fall in the pool, damaged by sand, etc. Of course my new H2O alleviates some of that concern!
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
As a preventative measure, on our vacations my husband and I each take 2 Kobos, one as backup. The first time I traveled with my Kobo I realized that I had a single point of failure. (I was on a trip where the purpose was rest and relaxation, and reading as many books as I could) It could get lost, stolen, fall in the pool, damaged by sand, etc. Of course my new H2O alleviates some of that concern!
I bought my Sony PRST1 mainly as backup to my Kobo Touch reader. It was easy to load my Epubs without DRM. I wanted to try a Sony ereader because owners were always saying they are the best. Sony eliminating excess stock with 1/2 price sale as PRST2 was available really clinched the purchase. Bought 2 more for my sisters. Having Sony reader, 2 Kobo Wifi readers and 1 Kobo Touch reader at that time prevented worries about bad Kobo updates.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know I've seen one spurious reset (or at least spurious setup prompt). That happened about two weeks ago on my Glo. From what I can tell though, the database itself was still present; I believe what had happened was the configuration file was corrupted, and this caused the device to reprompt me for setup.

Post setup, all books were back in place. I only use side-loaded ePubs.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
When I first got my Glo, it locked up a few times in the first few days for no reason and the only way out was to do a factory reset. Since I read a lot out of the house, my safety net is to have about 500 books on a micro SD card which I have stashed safely in my purse, takes up virtually no room at all. That way I will always have books to read no matter what.

When traveling where I'm away for even a few days, I usually also have my netbook with me which includes my full Calibre library and a USB cable in case I need to transfer books back over to the reader.

Of course since I've started doing this so I can still read (short of losing or breaking the reader), my Glo hasn't locked up and needed a factory reset since then.

I should add that I never use the added storage of the SD card in the reader, I find keeping around 500 books on the reader at any time is more than enough.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:14 PM   #7
Dryhte
Crow
Dryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watchDryhte is clearly one to watch

Device: (Vivlio) Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thumbs down

I may have made things worse by doing a reset of my own (the pinhole) when I couldn't get wifi setup to work, before checking whether my side loaded books were still on the kobo.
Would my side loaded books (main memory) have been deleted by the pinhole reset? And what if they had been on an SD card?
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #8
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
.... removed

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-01-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Deleted when more appropriate thread found...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I should add that I never use the added storage of the SD card in the reader, I find keeping around 500 books on the reader at any time is more than enough.
This is too weird. I was sure my Glo had nowhere to insert an SD card? Was there a newer (or older) version which did?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
All Kobo ereaders have had the ability for external storage, older models (Original and WiFi) the full size SD card, all others a micro SD card.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
This is too weird. I was sure my Glo had nowhere to insert an SD card? Was there a newer (or older) version which did?
Is it in a cover which blocks the SD card - the Gecko Slimfit cover does this for example.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Page 6 of this user manual for the Glo shows the location of the micro SD slot, at the lower left side of the reader.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:12 PM   #13
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryhte View Post
I may have made things worse by doing a reset of my own (the pinhole) when I couldn't get wifi setup to work, before checking whether my side loaded books were still on the kobo.
Would my side loaded books (main memory) have been deleted by the pinhole reset? And what if they had been on an SD card?
A pinhole reset on its own won't wipe either the main or SD memory. What will, though, is accidentally pressing the "light" button when switching on. I did a complete factory reset when this happened to me (sticking "light" button caused by the cover I was using at the time).

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
A pinhole reset on its own won't wipe either the main or SD memory. What will, though, is accidentally pressing the "light" button when switching on. I did a complete factory reset when this happened to me (sticking "light" button caused by the cover I was using at the time).
Nothing should wipe the SD card. A factory reset, firmware upgrade, pinhole reset, power off and on should leave it intact. People like to recommend removing it when doing an upgrade or factory reset, but I never remember to until it has already started rebooting and I have never lost anything off the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Page 6 of this user manual for the Glo shows the location of the micro SD slot, at the lower left side of the reader.
Thanks. Clearly, I was just too happy to read with a frontlight to even look. What a dope I am.

Tags
automatic reset, glo, problem, wipe