Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #31
blue223
blue223 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sorry to bump this but can someone show me step by step how to use mobi2oeb? My ebook is now DRM free I just need to convert it to another format without all the gibberish...Any help would be appreciated
blue223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #32
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If you want ePub or LRF, you can now use the Calbre GUI to do the conversion from MOBI.

If you want to "explode" the MOBI to HTML for later conversion to some other format, then Calibre's command line tool mobi2oeb (described here) may be your best option. It is very easy to use, from the command shell issue the command:
Code:
mobi2oeb -o ebookname ebookname.mobi
where "ebookname" is the filename and the "-o" option tells mobi2oeb to put the result in a subdirectory called ebookname. If you already have the MOBI in its own subdirectory you can leave off the "-o ebookname". Your ebook might also have the extension .prc, this is perfectly ok (just use .prc in place of .mobi).

For information about how to get a command prompt, see Command Prompt Vista/XP/Mac. You would then navigate to the directory containing the MOBI ebook using the cd (change directory) command. I generally copy the full directory path from a window open on the directory and paste it into the command window after the cd.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #33
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the walkthorugh.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #34
blue223

Thanks! Only thing is, I think my ebook is too long, it's several thousand pages. I left mobi2oeb running for a while, and came back and I got this:

File "reader.py", line 598, in <module>
File "reader.py", line 598, in main
File "reader.py", line 196, in extract_content
File "re.pyo", line 150, in sub

MemoryError

Is my ebook just too long? I'm sooo close to getting this out of mobi format this is the last step left I think!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another option is mobi2html from MobiPerl. There are binaries for Windows (you don't need to install Perl to run MobiPerl on Windows). The command line is similar to mobi2oeb. First copy mobi2html into your current directory (not necessary if it is already in your command path) and then issue the command:
Code:
mobi2html ebookname.mobi ebookname
This won't work if the ebook uses MobiPocket's high compression option though.
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #36
blue223

I did that now and got this:

probably HUFFDIC_COMPRESSED - CANNOT BE DECOMPRESSED!!!

soo close, do I have any other options?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try using Calibre to convert your eBook to LIT, ePub, or LRF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #38
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue223 View Post
I did that now and got this:

probably HUFFDIC_COMPRESSED - CANNOT BE DECOMPRESSED!!!

soo close, do I have any other options?
I think that maybe the Perl module on cpan (was the name ebook or) might support it. There should be a thread about this module here.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #39
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I think that maybe the Perl module on cpan (was the name ebook or) might support it. There should be a thread about this module here.
No, the CPAN 'Ebook-tools' does not yet handle HuffDic compressed files, only standard compressed ones like MobiPerl. (Tommy, wouldn't it have been nice if the Perl code existed for that! )

However, MobiHuff.py may do the trick. I have converted a ~ 10 MB .prc ebook this way and it worked well. Google for it and read this post afterwards.

PM if you are interested and still need some assistance.

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-17-2009 at 01:45 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #40
blue223

Finally got it with MobiHuff, thanks to all who helped
Old 03-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #41
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue223 View Post
Thanks! Only thing is, I think my ebook is too long, it's several thousand pages. I left mobi2oeb running for a while, and came back and I got this:

File "reader.py", line 598, in <module>
File "reader.py", line 598, in main
File "reader.py", line 196, in extract_content
File "re.pyo", line 150, in sub

MemoryError

Is my ebook just too long? I'm sooo close to getting this out of mobi format this is the last step left I think!
Could you submit an issue on the calibre trac and attach the book in question? Calibre should be able to extract even very large books, and it's definitely a "bug" if it can't.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:02 PM   #42
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I've finally figured out that mobi2oeb only exists in Calibre 0.59 and earlier. Is there any way to extract mobi's with high compression with version 0.60+?
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #43
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I've finally figured out that mobi2oeb only exists in Calibre 0.59 and earlier. Is there any way to extract mobi's with high compression with version 0.60+?
You should be able to use the GUI to do the conversion now. If you want to use the command line, try
Code:
ebook-convert title.mobi title_std.mobi
I think this will get you a standard compression version of the MOBI. To get an ePub, use:
Code:
ebook-convert title.mobi title.epub
An .epub is just a ZIP of all the ebook's contents. See the manual for other options.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #44
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I was looking for the extracted html and images so I could make some changes, such as turn off full justification, and use Mobipocket Creator to build it again. I didn't test yet, but I assumed epub output would be different from the extracted mobi html?
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #45
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectoplasm View Post
I was looking for the extracted html and images so I could make some changes, such as turn off full justification, and use Mobipocket Creator to build it again.
There is an OEB option:
Quote:
Finally, if output_file has no extension, then it is treated as a directory and an “open ebook” (OEB) consisting of HTML files is written to that directory. These files are the files that would normally have been passed to the output plugin.
The command would be:
Code:
ebook-convert title.mobi title_oeb
where title_oeb is a directory (that need not yet exist).