Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
GillianMary
GillianMary began at the beginning.

Device: none
close "inverted commas" alone on one line

Thanks to some excellent advice here I got my ePub through the check, but have found that I have frequent lines that look like this:

"I might have known. I'm just as happy to see you as you are to see me!
"
"I don't know how you survived so long!"

Where there is one line with only the "close inverted commas" punctuation.
It seems to be worse in mobi and lit ( I started in Indesign then Sigil then Calibre).

I have checked my original file, and it all looks ok. Have checked the code, and that looks ok too - no weird marks anywhere. When I change the font size I still get it, but in different places. It only goes away on a full screen
on my computer.

Is this normal??
What can I do?
What did I do wrong?

Hope somebody can help me, as I was so happy to have finished the conversion - but I really don't want to put substandard work out, even if it is the first time I have attempted a conversion. The rest looks ok.

GillianMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds like a bug in the rendering software, not the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
GillianMary

Thank you HarryT, so I can go ahead and upload to Kindle?? I am using
Calibre 0.7.22 to visualize the formats, and it seems to be in all of them, some more than others. I can't check on the real thing, unfortunately.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Try installing "Kindle for PC" and see if you get these isolated quotes on that, using the Mobi version of your file. If you do, there's probably something wrong with the file.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I think this is an artifact of the Webkit rendering. It appears in the Calibre viewer and the Sigil viewer. I bet it will look fine in the Sony Library software.
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
GillianMary

I just downloaded the "kindle for pc" and it looked GREAT!

Huge relief.

Thank you so much for all your help, and for answering so quickly. Fantastic
forum.