Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-13-2024, 07:40 PM   #3931
PaigheTurn
PaigheTurn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Okay so I have a single book cover that works. When I go to sleep mode the corresponding settings activate. Either the side borders are black, or the entire cover is fitted to screen.

However for all my other books, the cover is unchanged. When I go to sleep, the cover still has white borders on the side.
PaigheTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 10:01 PM   #3932
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Probably just need to clear the cover cache? (there's a button for that ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2024, 07:36 PM   #3933
PaigheTurn
PaigheTurn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
It finally works now, thanks!
PaigheTurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 08:55 PM   #3934
peng1774
peng1774 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 (keyboard), kindle DXG
Smile kindle DXG failed in fonts updating

hi NiLuJe,
Firstly, huge respect to you seeing you are still replying people in this thread even in 2024, which is unbelievable for all the love and effort that you put for such many 10+ years!
I bought my DXG from a neighbor yesterday (i have had a fantastic kindle 3 keyboard for years but there are couple of badly scanned PDF books i don't feel comfortable reading on the 6 inch screen. which made me wanna try the 9 inch DXG).
Today I tired to jailbreak and put Chinese font into it, but failed. But i get no idea what step I missed or could there be any other software problems. can you help take a brief look at it ?

basically what i did was :
1. checked version (pic1)
2. downloaded Update_jailbreak_0.13.N_dxg_install.bin. Put in kindle root dir, eject USB device. update kindle. kindle run into U006 error code which is good. (in pic2)
3. downloaded Update_fonts_5.16.N_dxg_install.bin. put in root dir, eject USB device. update kindle. install successfully.
4. downloaded Droid_Sans, put the 12 newer 2011 TTF files from this folder to kindle linkfonts/fonts folder (replaced the same named old 1980 TTF fils) pic3.
5. copy paste the autoreboot file, rename it as 'reboot'. eject USB device. kindle rebooted successfully. But the chinese book (title) still failed to be readable, just being some boxes. (pic4).

i feel like maybe i should download more chinese TTFs, then i downloaded
NotoSansCJKsc-Bold.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-BoldItalic.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-Italic.ttf
NotoSansCJKsc-Regular.ttf
and put them to fonts folder and rebooted kindle again but chinese characters remained unreadable.

now i'm running out of ideas. (maybe i should rename those CJK TTFs to be Serif_Bold/BoldItalic/Italic/Regular and use them to replace the existed TTFs?)

Can you let me know if you have any idea? Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-version.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	205901   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-u006-good.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	205902   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-12new2011TFF-fonts.png
Views:	74
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	205904   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-chinese-unreadable.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	205905  
peng1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 12:46 PM   #3935
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

IIRC, FW 2.x doesn't support CJK or some nonsense like that.

That wasn't an issue on your other device because the K3 runs FW 3.x .
Advert
Old 01-20-2024, 12:58 PM   #3936
peng1774
peng1774 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 (keyboard), kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IIRC, FW 2.x doesn't support CJK or some nonsense like that.

That wasn't an issue on your other device because the K3 runs FW 3.x .
oh i see! i read your steps again extremely carefully and found i missed this step "strictly following the usual naming scheme. (Type_Style.ttf) (for details on where each font is used, please see this https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=97). "

now i followed the naming rules and renamed those CJK_xxxx.ttf to Serif_xxxx.ttf and replaced the old one. now Chinese character can be read! you are amazing! thank you!
peng1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:14 PM   #3937
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Cathodd:

Moderator Notice
We do not condone publicizing any and all methods related to bypassing Special Offers
Old 02-04-2024, 04:27 PM   #3938
Darthagnon
Darthagnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hello, I've been enjoying a jailbroken Kindle 4 (9023), and a couple days ago, I left it asleep in KOReader on an EPUB I was reading. When I tried to switch it back on, it wouldn't respond, so I had to do a hard reboot. I charged it, and went about my business. All good and normal until today, I picked it up again to put a new book on. "The screensavers hack was successfully installed" screensaver was on (asleep in normal mode), but now it won't switch on. At all. Charging, the orange light illuminates for 10s, then goes out. Holding the power button for ages does nothing. No visible battery bloating.

Any ideas on how to hard reset or what could have caused the problem? Only non-standard software I've got on it is VNC, but I haven't touched that in ages and it's been working fine, except for that freeze in KOReader and now it won't boot into normal mode.

Last edited by Darthagnon; 02-04-2024 at 04:29 PM. Reason: charging light is only 10s
Darthagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 03:51 PM   #3939
NiLuJe
BLAM!

If that's not already the issue (and it probably is ;p), see if a full battery drain followed by a full battery charge (i.e. well north of 12H on a wall charger) helps.

That's a fairly old device by now, so the battery may need some help to actually take and/or keep a charge .

Which also means you don't necessarily need to be discouraged by the lack of sign of life, IIRC, the last time I had to revive mine to test something, it stayed dead for a couple of hours on the charger.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:20 PM   #3940
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

That's a fairly old device by now, so the battery may need some help to actually take and/or keep a charge .
It used to regularly get recommended in this forum that the kindle be wrapped in a towel then left in a freezer overnight before putting it on a charger.

From time to time people would come back to report that worked.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:56 PM   #3941
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It used to regularly get recommended in this forum that the kindle be wrapped in a towel then left in a freezer overnight before putting it on a charger.

From time to time people would come back to report that worked.
I think a myth.
You need a new battery/cell.

Freezing an LiPoly cell is unlikely to help. Somewhere on the Battery University it explains.

Why a Li cell can stop working and why bypassing the protection to charge it can cause a fire:
https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...leeping-li-ion
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 04:46 PM   #3942
Darthagnon
Darthagnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm happy to take it apart and put a new battery in, though it would be nice try a non-destructive way first - is there a recommended way to drain the battery? Wait ages? Short pins on the USB? No power lights, so no way of knowing if it's even on.

Thank you so much for the suggestions

EDIT: Got the back off, battery (fully charged?) voltage is 2.92V, whereas it should be 3.7V

Last edited by Darthagnon; 02-11-2024 at 11:55 AM.
Darthagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:24 AM   #3943
AlexAndreeff
AlexAndreeff began at the beginning.

Device: Amazone Kindle 3wi-fi
Good afternoon, tell me how to change fonts and reading fields after installing "kindle-fonts-5.16.N-k3w" them?
AlexAndreeff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet