Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM   #16
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennD View Post
What's wrong with Flash Gordon-style whizz-bang westerns in space? They can be pretty fun to read.
Nothing, when they're good. I didn't mean to conflate the two, the way I guess I did. I'd written more, but then cut it. From what I've read (I don't want to pass my self off as an expert), Hubbard comes off as a seat-of-the-pants writer with little care for craft or quality.

Look at his Xenu story for a simple example. Societies that are trillions of years old, spaceships that look exactly like DC-8s. These are the signs of a lazy storyteller.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #17
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi View Post
I read it back in high school, and liked it a lot.
That explains it. Try to read it now. It is miserable SF and exceptionally bad literature.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Over and above everything else in Hubbard's writings, he was a pulp writer. (With all the limits and flaws of a pulp writer.)

For him, Science Fiction was just another type of pulp. A type that he only wrote later in his pulp career.

Now, some pulp writers transcended their pulp origins, many did not, and were left behind as the pulps died. (Think Doc Savage, for example. Lester Dent (and his ghosts) were mostly pulp writers, who disappeared (mostly) with the pulps. (A useful point of comparison)).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
What's wrong with Flash Gordon-style whizz-bang westerns in space? They can be pretty fun to read.
I loved the Captain Proton serials in Star Trek Voyager. Very campy. Wish they made more.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #20
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by varlog View Post
That explains it. Try to read it now. It is miserable SF and exceptionally bad literature.
Well, I read all of the Mission Earth novels about five years ago and didn't hate them, so I doubt my take on it would be much different. I have kind of wanted to re-read it, but the reality is my depression has gotten bad enough that I have zero chance of completing any novel of that length. Hell, I can barely get myself to read short stories and novellas nowadays.

I may have a higher tolerance for lower quality writing though, so far the only books I couldn't finish reading were the horrific Rendezvous With Rama sequels. And even there it wasn't the writing, but the overwhelmingly bleak and depressing universe that Lee posited for humanity. There was not a single shred of hope left by halfway through the third novel, and it kept getting worse. I ended up skimming to see how it ended and gave up. It was bad enough that I refuse to even try reading anything else Gentry Lee is involved with.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've split the L. Ron Hubbard posts into their own thread in the Reading Recommendations forum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #22
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manabi;3783442:I may have a higher tolerance for lower quality writing though, so far the only books I couldn't finish reading were the horrific [i
Rendezvous With Rama[/i] sequels. And even there it wasn't the writing, but the overwhelmingly bleak and depressing universe that Lee posited for humanity. There was not a single shred of hope left by halfway through the third novel, and it kept getting worse. I ended up skimming to see how it ended and gave up. It was bad enough that I refuse to even try reading anything else Gentry Lee is involved with.
I agree the Rama sequels were awful, but I hate them for the amateurish writing. I find it puzzling and a bit depressing that a big publisher would allow such dross into the world. Kinda sad.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #23
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Indeed. L. Ron is the author we all love to hate because of his crackpot "religion", but we should keep in mind the fact that he was a decent SF author. Perhaps not one of the immortals, but certainly a competent professional.
Yes, but buying one of his books provides financial support to said crackpots. I stopped buying a particularly good brand of sewing machine needles because the profits went to a religious cult. Fortunately, there are other fish in the sea.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #24
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Have only listened to the audiobook of Battlefield Earth. It was so bad I couldn't bring myself to turn it off. Not until that book did I understand the mentality of morbid fascination that brings people to slow down and rubberneck at a car accident.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #25
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For those interested Alec Nevala-Lee has written a very good biography of Golden Age writers, Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction

Campbell, Heinlein, and A.E. van Vogt were all interested in Dianetics but all wanted to take it in different directions.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Campbell, Heinlein, and A.E. van Vogt were all interested in Dianetics but all wanted to take it in different directions.
I want to remind members that discussion of Scientology is not permitted in the main forums.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:36 PM   #27
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Would the Stainless Steel Rat count as one of those? I liked that one (I think there were two or three others with the same character). I read mostly fantasy stories, though. I did read the Foundation Trilogy — now I see they're calling it a series, so I guess that dates me. Actually I guess read more SF than I remember, because now remember reading the Dune Trilogy (wouldn't do that again) and some Amber Chronicles (though I guess those were fantasy). I used to subscribe to Asimov's SF Magazine (edited by George Scithers?) and Weird Tales, and another one I can't remember now.

(Yeah, I'm rambling. Sorry.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Would the Stainless Steel Rat count as one of those? I liked that one (I think there were two or three others with the same character). I read mostly fantasy stories, though. I did read the Foundation Trilogy — now I see they're calling it a series, so I guess that dates me. Actually I guess read more SF than I remember, because now remember reading the Dune Trilogy (wouldn't do that again) and some Amber Chronicles (though I guess those were fantasy). I used to subscribe to Asimov's SF Magazine (edited by George Scithers?) and Weird Tales, and another one I can't remember now.

(Yeah, I'm rambling. Sorry.)
There were actually 11 books in the Stainless Steel Rat series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #29
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
I have read Battlefield Earth three times and I am sure I will again. It's no Dune but I found it to be good SF.

I originally read it back in my younger days when I felt that any book over 800 pages long had to be worth reading.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote