Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
PS: I've set the font-size to 100% now, so it'll be as large or small as you configured in your browser.
Doesn't have much to do with size. Has to do with the thinness of the font itself.

It's most likely a Print font, not one meant to be read on lower DPI like a monitor (or especially e-ink), or at small font sizes.

JSWolf would have a field day with that one. He's a stickler for forced "Publisher Fonts" that have no place in ebooks.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:08 AM   #17
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Bookari (on Nexus 10): decided it was epub2 book and says there a lot of rendering errors.
Likebok Mars (with it's native reader): showed fields but all empty.
Others added to db
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #18
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Doesn't have much to do with size. Has to do with the thinness of the font itself.

It's most likely a Print font, not one meant to be read on lower DPI like a monitor (or especially e-ink), or at small font sizes.

JSWolf would have a field day with that one. He's a stickler for forced "Publisher Fonts" that have no place in ebooks.
I've read probably most of the threads about publisher's fonts here. I can agree with some aspects, but not others. The thing I do when I start reading a dead-tree book for the first time is look at everything but the story. A book that's designed thoughtfully is a joy to behold.

And for disagreeing sticklers, isn't there a setting in most (all?) readers that prevent publisher's fonts?

Thing is, I find default fonts in many readers too fat, and I really have very poor eyesight.

klaus
kso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:37 AM   #19
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikarti View Post
Bookari (on Nexus 10): decided it was epub2 book and says there a lot of rendering errors.
Likebok Mars (with it's native reader): showed fields but all empty.
Others added to db
Thanks for that. That reader is maybe a little short on ram? I've come across this with some older kit, where the sheer quantity of CSS overwhelms the software and results in failure.

The book itself is valid EPUB 2, and the actual code of individual pages validates also (I usually tend to stay away from bleeding edge; cut myself too often when I was younger).

klaus
kso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #20
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This thread seems like an appropriate place to mention that media queries are not well supported in the Kindle world.

There are three main reflowable e-book formats currently in use by Amazon: MOBI7, KF8 (azw3), and KFX. KF8 is very similar to EPUB2 in its capabilities, MOBI7 is based on pre-CSS HTML, and KFX is not based on HTML.

The oldest Kindle devices (2007-2010) only support MOBI7 and the newest apps and devices (2015-now) have books delivered to them by Amazon in KFX format. KF8 is used by intermediate age devices and also by newer devices when books are USB sideloaded by the user.

Of these formats only KF8 supports media queries. They are stripped out in the other two formats during conversion by kindlegen and kfxgen.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This thread seems like an appropriate place to mention that media queries are not well supported in the Kindle world.

There are three main reflowable e-book formats currently in use by Amazon: MOBI7, KF8 (azw3), and KFX. KF8 is very similar to EPUB2 in its capabilities, MOBI7 is based on pre-CSS HTML, and KFX is not based on HTML.

The oldest Kindle devices (2007-2010) only support MOBI7 and the newest apps and devices (2015-now) have books delivered to them by Amazon in KFX format. KF8 is used by intermediate age devices and also by newer devices when books are USB sideloaded by the user.

Of these formats only KF8 supports media queries. They are stripped out in the other two formats during conversion by kindlegen and kfxgen.

Yabbut....

While Amazon strips out MQs where unneeded, they do work across the older devices. We've used them for years. Amazon delivers the KF7 MOBI to the KF7 devices; KF8 to KF8 devices and KFX to the super-new devices. Right?

Thus, there's no reason to stop using them for the present. IMHO, that is. Unless/until all the KF7 and KF8 devices disappear, they're still needed. No?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:27 AM   #22
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Thus, there's no reason to stop using them for the present. IMHO, that is. Unless/until all the KF7 and KF8 devices disappear, they're still needed. No?
I may not have been clear enough in my previous post.

Most of the media queries in the KindleMediaQueries.mobi book mentioned in this thread deal with things like screen resolution and orientation. That sort of media query will not work in actual published Kindle books in most cases because the MOBI7 and KFX formats do not support them.

The best use for media queries in the Kindle ecosystem is to tailor books to the capabilities of Amazon's various formats rather than specific devices. "@media amzn-mobi" targets MOBI7 format and "@media amzn-kf8" targets both KF8 and KFX formats. Those media queries have an important purpose in making books look as good as they can in each format. I encourage their use.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I may not have been clear enough in my previous post.

Most of the media queries in the KindleMediaQueries.mobi book mentioned in this thread deal with things like screen resolution and orientation. That sort of media query will not work in actual published Kindle books in most cases because the MOBI7 and KFX formats do not support them.

The best use for media queries in the Kindle ecosystem is to tailor books to the capabilities of Amazon's various formats rather than specific devices. "@media amzn-mobi" targets MOBI7 format and "@media amzn-kf8" targets both KF8 and KFX formats. Those media queries have an important purpose in making books look as good as they can in each format. I encourage their use.
I'm sorry--that's what I get for not paying close-enough attention. I didn't realize you were referring to the mq's in his ePUB file--yes, you're right, many of those won't work at all. (In the Mobi-verse.) God knows, we've tried MANY. I've tried a ridiculous number of things, trying to address the vagaries of K4iOS and the LITB, for good measure.

:-) Sorry, I'll try to pay closer attention. My bad.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote