Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #46
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Site says download your books prior to today (Nov 12th)...In case you haven't, I forgot last night and was worried, I was still able to get my books this morning!
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:00 PM   #47
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The change has been made. Their new vendor is BookShout (not a fan).

https://help.harlequin.com/ebook-sup...ad-your-ebooks
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2018, 09:41 PM   #48
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

Ouch, yes.

What if you already have BookShout credentials and stuff you got from them? Logout, login with Harlequin. Logout, login with BookShout. Ad infinitum? Looks that way. At least they update the app regularly, but are they going to be in business in 3 years?

I do like playing with Spritz. But they still haven’t put it in their Watch app.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:28 AM   #49
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
So...basically it's pointless to buy any ebook from the Harlequin site now because you have to read it with this "BookShout" app? Wow, that's pretty sad.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #50
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:

Ew...bookshout is one of the worst
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #51
IronChaim
Do-er, All of the Things
IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.IronChaim once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Androids
Quote:

Disappointing, but not very surprising as that's what HarperCollins has been using at their direct-to-consumer site for some time.
IronChaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #52
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
So...basically it's pointless to buy any ebook from the Harlequin site now because you have to read it with this "BookShout" app? Wow, that's pretty sad.
Oh, that is not true! You can use a web browser!
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #53
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Oh, that is not true! You can use a web browser!
Like a web browser is sooooo much better to read on than a Kobo ereader.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #54
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Bookshout is not about the customer reading. It is a publisher focused service. It is designed to allow gathering data to share with publishers. It apparently uses epub files with its own proprietary drm. It only allows reading via its own Android and IOS apps and its own web reader and does not support any non-Android e-ink reader. It does not allow downloading of an epub outside of its apps. Presumably its apps do download epubs to secure storage on Android and IOS where they are not easily accessible. I'm not aware of any mention anywhere of anyone attempting to break this DRM, and frankly I don't expect to. There are just so many better places to buy books and better options to read them that if anyone bothers it will only be for their own amusement. This Wikipedia article sums the situation up nicely, including a prominent reference to comments on these forums:

BookShout

This and other similar proprietary apps are, at least in my opinion, blights on the publishing landscape, and to be avoided.

Last edited by darryl; 11-16-2018 at 11:39 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #55
PurpleStar
Wizard

Harlequin finally gave me the My Reward points they owed me and I have enough points for a couple ebooks. But I guess it's pointless now since I won't be able to read them on the kobo. What do I do now, get a real paper book? lol
Old 12-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #56
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sounds like Bookshout might contravene GDPR?
At any rate, if readers vote with purchasing elsewhere they will reverse their policy.
I support copyright, but DRM and activity monitoring are evil.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:27 PM   #57
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I've spent a lot of money at Harlequin over the years. When I contacted their Customer Service to complain that I no longer had access to my purchased contact, they told me I could still use what I had already downloaded. Well, of course I can! That's not the point. When the ebooks were purchased as pdf's, it was with the implied expectation that as long as Harlequin was in business I would have access to my ADE pdfs. I have no intention of purchasing another device to read with the Bookshout app. It is as if Harlequin has taken back what I have already purchased without giving me any compensation. I don't see how that can be legal.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #58
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
I cannot imagine that any reader would knowingly and willingly use Bookshout App for anything at all.

As others have said, there are many other platforms to use to buy and read our books.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:28 AM   #59
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronChaim View Post
So...they're basically locking their own store out from any eink device. But, since they will continue to sell through Amazon, Kobo, and others there's still an option to get the books that way.

Is there any incentive to purchase directly from Harlequin's store (e.g., is the price any lower?)
They have sales you can only get on their site -- everything from the occasional 50% off to 25% off this or that. Also, purchases earn points that can be redeemed on books (ebooks or print).

I almost wish they'd go back to the old points program they had in the 1990s, where you collected points from mass market paperbacks and then mailed them in to buy things like gift sets of soaps and collectible dolls. At least you don't have to worry about making backups. And I was able to have the doll sent to my aunt. However, you also had to tear out a coupon in the book to get the points.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #60
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
I cannot imagine that any reader would knowingly and willingly use Bookshout App for anything at all.

As others have said, there are many other platforms to use to buy and read our books.
I used it unwillingly because I earned a free ebook copy of The House with a Clock in Its Walls from Regal Cinema after seeing the movie. (Even though I already had a copy via Amazon or Nook or something. And a paper copy. ) But I downloaded the app only after the Harlequin thing.

It's yet another ebook app I don't need because there are many better ones. It ran smoothly I guess? The books actually opened in it, without telling me the books weren't authorized and forcing me to authorize them yet again (hello Overdrive and Libby). Other than that, the only "advantage" is that if you read four books in the app, you'll get a discount or free book or something. But considering how much they will get for spying on your reading habits, they should be paying me. :P
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote