Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #181
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I suppose it would be bad form for me to edit the metadata in my ebooks to include, "Arrgh, matey! This be a pirated file!"

Just to brighten their day over at Adobe.
Go for it. Buy an eBook from Tor and edit it to piss the hell off of Adobe or the publishers. Then if you get in trouble, you can sue the hell out of them for false accusation.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #182
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I guess it would be kind of fun to start a netwide grassroots movement that creates fake e-books that contain a lot of things like: "Enjoy going through my private library, perv?"
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #183
JWez
JWez began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Aura HD
Why should this surprise anyone?

A couple of quotes some of you may recognize:

"They have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing."

and the more recent

"In America, internet explore you."

It would be amusing, except both are true. One post mentions legislation. The only legislation that could or will happen is that to strengthen Adobe's hand.
JWez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 PM   #184
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
My tinfold makes a very comfortable liner...
I gave a talk on cosmic rays once for a course, and as a joke, wore a tin-foil lined toque at the start. I lasted about five minutes before it felt like my brains were going to boil. That tin-foil was a great heat reflector and most uncomfortable for me. Maybe it's better if you don't use your brain while wearing it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #185
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I gave a talk on cosmic rays once for a course, and as a joke, wore a tin-foil lined toque at the start. I lasted about five minutes before it felt like my brains were going to boil. That tin-foil was a great heat reflector and most uncomfortable for me. Maybe it's better if you don't use your brain while wearing it.
See, there's your mistake. The foil goes on the outside.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #186
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
See, there's your mistake. The foil goes on the outside.
I ran across an archive of a mailing list once, in which there was a nasty, nasty flame war about "shiny side in, or out."

It was a cooking mailing list, and they were talking about baked potatoes.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:58 AM   #187
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
This why my e-book reader is unconnected to the Internet. Something that can't hapen, won't happen.

My tinfold makes a very comfortable liner...
Ahh, but what about the hidden internet connection they don't tell you about.

You have been lulled into a false sense of paranoia security. Time to start reading in a lead lined room.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #188
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I ran across an archive of a mailing list once, in which there was a nasty, nasty flame war about "shiny side in, or out."

It was a cooking mailing list, and they were talking about baked potatoes.
Thanks, that has just brightened up my day.

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:35 AM   #189
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I prefer my own setup.... I only have ADE installed on a virtual machine... I use it to download the DRM-infected book, remove the infection and then move it to my host... And the VM doesn't know anything about the host!
That's exactly how I do it.

For anyone who wants to play with virtual machines, Virtualbox is free and easy to use.
https://www.virtualbox.org/
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #190
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Never left ADE2 so i'm all good. Relativity.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:38 AM   #191
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The problem is there is no *explicit* federal right to privacy as such in the constitution, just a series of specific protections (search and seizure, self incrimination, etc). The court has on occasion found an *implicit* right to privacy (the most prominent case started a culture war that is 40 years running with no end in sight) but it is case to case. Congress has legislated a variety of protections as have the states but again, nothing absolute.

There is no absolute right to privacy to parallel the right of free speech, which is why federal surveillance laws like the Patriot Act can exist. And that is probably why: law and order and security concerns.
Tying into this, when the court talks about the "right to privacy," it isn't really talking about eavesdropping. It's talking about the the right to make certain decisions that *relate to private aspects of your life* without government interference. The right to privacy under the US constitution generally means that you have the freedom (i.e. "a liberty interest") to make certain private, personal decisions without governmental interference. These cases are all relate to sexual privacy - right to contraception, right to abortion, right to sex with a member of the same sex.

The 4th amendment also uses a "reasonable expectation of privacy" test to help determine when a police search requires a warrant, but that establishes a rule of thumb for searches; it's not about a specifically identified right to privacy.

So with respect to the right against what we think of as privacy today, the only real protections come from federal and state statutes.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #192
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: all (Marvin)
I was involved in the effort to reproduce Nate's results, and I wrote the post that some have quoted here: http://go-to-hellman.blogspot.com/20...-on-adobe.html

Happy to answer questions.

I'd also recommend reading the comments on Matt Enis' article in Library Journal:
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2014/...g-accusations/ in particular the comments by Galen Charlton and Jason Griffey.

Eric
gluejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #193
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Glad to know the program is not systematically scanning my computer

On the second link it mentions information being sent on books outside of the ADE library under certain conditions-- could you elaborate a bit on what those conditions are?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #194
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief
gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gluejar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Glad to know the program is not systematically scanning my computer

On the second link it mentions information being sent on books outside of the ADE library under certain conditions-- could you elaborate a bit on what those conditions are?
soondai,

When ADE4 recognizes an ereader device connected to the computer, that's when it reports its ebooks.

Eric
Old 10-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #195
gluejar
Ungluer-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I guess it would be kind of fun to start a netwide grassroots movement that creates fake e-books that contain a lot of things like: "Enjoy going through my private library, perv?"
Kumabjorn,

Not original to me, but setting the title to:
Moby Dick"); DROP DATABASE;
is the appropriate thing to do.