Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
epub Margins on nook

I was testing some of my own epub files (created with Sigil) on the nook, and noticed that, unlike the Kindle, the nook doesn't automatically add margins around the edge of the page. The end result is that text stretches clear out to the left and right edge of the screen, and also butts right up against the top menubar. The left and right margins should be easy enough to fix with a CSS rule, but I'm not sure how to handle the spacing at the top - there's no element I could easily target with CSS.

Anyone seeing similar problems with user-created epubs?
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 AM   #2
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Have you tried:

Code:
body { margin: 5px; }
?
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganK View Post
Have you tried:

Code:
body { margin: 5px; }
?
Another option, which I use, is

Code:
@page { margin-top: 3px; margin-left: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 0px; }
I find that I do not need any margin on the bottom as the nook seems to leave some there.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Another option, which I use, is

Code:
@page { margin-top: 3px; margin-left: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 0px; }
I find that I do not need any margin on the bottom as the nook seems to leave some there.
Are either of these solutions tested as standards-compliant, and do they produce the same results on all ePub readers?
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
LoganK
Groupie
LoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notesLoganK can name that song in three notes

Device: PRS-505,nook,Nook Color,Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Are either of these solutions tested as standards-compliant, and do they produce the same results on all ePub readers?
Both are standards compliant, but I have tested my changes in only a couple of readers. Technically, the @page context rule is more accurate, but I didn't suggest it because I don't know about support.

Apparently @page works on the nook, though, so, at a minimum, it solves this Trubu's problem.
LoganK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Thanks all. I didn't know about the @page selector - sounds like that will do what I need. I'll give it a try tonight.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
Trubu
Zealot

Just wanted to say thanks again - setting a page rule did the trick. Makes my side-loaded content a lot more pleasing to the eye.