Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
All I care about is PDF?

I have many technical pdf's which I get from work for free. My employer buys them from various technical companies for all the programmers to use and they have no DRM, if that matters.

I have trouble reading on the computer monitor and have wanted a ebook reader for a very long time. But always worried about pdf support. I am talking another look now and want to know which device has the best pdf support. I dont care about the bookstore, because I will never buy an ebook and don't really care if it has wireless because I will again never buy a ebook from the devices online bookstore.

So I just need the absolute best PSF support, at a great price.

Thank you all so much, great site here.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The 5"and 6" EInk screens are not large enough for letter/A4 PDFs. A 7" or 8" screen might be big enough, but the contenders (Sony Daily Edition and iRex DR800SG) are not out yet, both are due any day now. A 9.7" screen or larger is big enough. The best EInk PDF device today is the iRex DR1000S, but it is very expensive. The best less expensive device is the Kindle DX, but its PDF support for everything except displaying the pages is very poor (e.g. no TOC).

There are likely to be half a dozen ~10" Eink devices introduced at CES in January. They won't all be for sale in January, but this will greatly expand the PDF-capable Reader landscape.

See E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices for more info.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
I bought a Sony PRS300 a couple months ago for reading library books. But I have quite a few technical books and I remembered they all come with CDs with a ebook version of the book. I tried a few out on the 300 and I really like the result. Most of my technical books have screenshots and the 300 displays them very well. If I change the view to horizontal, it displays 1/2 a page at at time (there's a little icon at the bottom that shows which half you're on). I prefer vertical view with medium font size. The text just flows from page to page, but it only shows the text for graphics. I can change to the small font and the graphic shows up.

I love this ereader, and I got so excited, I've consolidated all my techincal books and used BeCypdfmetaedit to rename them to what I what to see on the reader. I have about 50 technical books now and am looking to get a 2nd reader to put them on, instead of mixing with my library books. They are considerably larger than a normal book. My 50 books equal 665mg and the 300 holds less than 500mg. I'm considering a 600 that has an SD card slot and the bigger screen might display graphics at medium font size. The only disadvantage is there is no search option, but I'm not sure if any ereader has that. I really like having 50lbs of books in a 5oz device though!
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
It depends on the formatting of each pdf as to how well it will display on a particular device. On this thread I took some pics of a technical pdf provided by another user displayed on my PRS-505. If your pdf's are formatted similarly, then I would recommend a PRS-300 (unless you can get your hands on a 505).

Last edited by Superlucky; 11-25-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #5
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The 5"and 6" EInk screens are not large enough for letter/A4 PDFs. A 7" or 8" screen might be big enough, but the contenders (Sony Daily Edition and iRex DR800SG) are not out yet, both are due any day now. A 9.7" screen or larger is big enough. The best EInk PDF device today is the iRex DR1000S, but it is very expensive. The best less expensive device is the Kindle DX, but its PDF support for everything except displaying the pages is very poor (e.g. no TOC).

There are likely to be half a dozen ~10" Eink devices introduced at CES in January. They won't all be for sale in January, but this will greatly expand the PDF-capable Reader landscape.

See E-book Reader Matrix: Larger Devices for more info.
Ditto from me.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Based on mtravellerh's comprehensive review of PDF reading in Pocketbook 360 test diary, I now regard PocketBook as having the best PDF capability in 5" (360°) and 6" (301 Plus) Readers. These screens are very small, but if any EInk device of this size can do the job it is the PocketBooks. Don't forget that mtravellerh's 600x800 screenshots will look much smaller on the actual screen than they do on most PC monitors.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote