Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #1741
weasal
weasal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Your only choice is to replace the defective eMMC chip.

You can put it on a wall charger, reboot it, and allow it to just sit there.
It may take days to finish the restart because it has to reboot after fixing each error.
I did a factory reset and so far it looks like things work, thanks for your help!
weasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1742
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by weasal View Post
I did a factory reset and so far it looks like things work, thanks for your help!
The Kindle system does no do a write, read-back, verify operation.
So you can't tell just by looking at it.

There is posted here some tools that DO write, read-back and verify.
They where written and posted for this exact sort of case, funky eMMC operation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #1743
adirat
adirat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by juglardalua View Post
Hi, i need some help.

I´ve made the jailbreak on my PW2 via downgrading it from 5.6.5 to 5.4.3.2 and then i jailvroken it via this method https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Now i´ve installed the KUAL, but when i try to open it on my Kindle it appears this message:

"APPLICATION ERROR
The selected application could not be started. Please try again."

I´ve erased it and installed it again, and the same message showed up.

What can i do?

Thanks
I'm having exactly this problem on my PW2, downgraded from 5.6 to 5.4.3.2, applied the jailbreak succesfully and KUAL keeps crashing.

There's nothing under /mnt/us/developer (IIRC there used to be a kual crash.log there on my other device, now it's just empty).

I tried manually installing mkk even though the jailbreak already does it, rebooting the device, replacing KUAL etc. Nothing seems to work.

Ideas how I can debug this further?

Edit: My PW2 is the standard Intl version 9017

Last edited by adirat; 02-12-2017 at 03:13 PM.
adirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:27 PM   #1744
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did either you or Amazon update the device from 5.4.3.2?
Or is it still running that version?
(Check the device info panel to be sure it did not change.)
Old 02-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #1745
adirat

Quote:
Did either you or Amazon update the device from 5.4.3.2?
Or is it still running that version?
(Check the device info panel to be sure it did not change.)
Yes, it's running 5.4.3.2
Advert
Old 02-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #1746
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirat View Post
Yes, it's running 5.4.3.2
There should not be any problem.

Re-install the 'hotfix' (it will do no harm if it is already installed).
Old 02-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #1747
adirat

Quote:
There should not be any problem.

Re-install the 'hotfix' (it will do no harm if it is already installed).
I installed both the jailbreak and the hotfix from here (Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin and Update_jailbreak_bridge_*_install.bin) and the KUAL behaviour is the same (the installs finished as expected).

I tried also installing the "hotfix" from here, but that doesn't work, the "Update Your Kindle" button is grayed out and the bin file gets auto-deleted from /mnt/us.

Still KUAL doesn't work. How can I test that I'm actually jailbroken, beside the messege on screen *JAILBROKE* ?
Old 02-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #1748
adirat

What I did is I manually upgraded the PW2 to firmware 5.6.5 and KUAL just works. This is really weird... I tested it works correctly by installing & starting KOReader
Old 02-12-2017, 05:49 PM   #1749
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I installed both the jailbreak and the hotfix from here (Update_jb_$(cd mnt && cd us && sh jb.sh).bin and Update_jailbreak_bridge_*_install.bin) and the KUAL behaviour is the same (the installs finished as expected).

I tried also installing the "hotfix" from here, but that doesn't work, the "Update Your Kindle" button is grayed out and the bin file gets auto-deleted from /mnt/us.

Still KUAL doesn't work. How can I test that I'm actually jailbroken, beside the messege on screen *JAILBROKE* ?
First post of current jail break, section: "Testing Touchscreen Devices Listed in Title".

This sounds like you went to the current JB, followed directions until you reached the branch to prior JB -
Took the branch -
But did not return to the current JB, skip Steps #5 and #6, complete Steps #7 and #8.

In Step #8 spoiler, you would have read (words to the effect):
"All add-ins packaged in update_*.bin format filenamed packages MUST use MrPI to install our packages."

That includes the 'hotfix' package (when running consumer firmware, which you are).
Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #1750
adirat

Quote:
This sounds like you went to the current JB, followed directions until you reached the branch to prior JB -
Took the branch -
But did not return to the current JB
Yes, that's true. Thank you. You guys are awesome!

Sorry for going off-topic with this but why does the PW2 need to be a special case and use the previous JB? I tried out of curiosity the current factory image JB and it seemed to work? (reported success and put the jailbroken book in the userfs but I did it on top of the previous JB so maybe it had no effect)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #1751
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Yes, that's true. Thank you. You guys are awesome!

Sorry for going off-topic with this but why does the PW2 need to be a special case and use the previous JB? I tried out of curiosity the current factory image JB and it seemed to work? (reported success and put the jailbroken book in the userfs but I did it on top of the previous JB so maybe it had no effect)
Because at the time it was written, the prior JB had 10 months of history in the field and the current one had less than a week.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 PM   #1752
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
recompiling KUAL

Hi

recompiling KUAL

I first asked this question to the Kindle forum (see link below).
Here is the original thread which gives the rationale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46#post3475646

I would like either:
- to obtain a KUAL binary for "KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2" with a new name (for example beginning with a double A) or
- to know how to recompile it with a new name (I'm a Linux user but without much experience about it).

I think I should not be the only one facing this and KUAL really deserves to be on top.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #1753
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

recompiling KUAL

I first asked this question to the Kindle forum (see link below).
Here is the original thread which gives the rationale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...46#post3475646

I would like either:
- to obtain a KUAL binary for "KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2" with a new name (for example beginning with a double A) or
- to know how to recompile it with a new name (I'm a Linux user but without much experience about it).

I think I should not be the only one facing this and KUAL really deserves to be on top.
Consult the wiki and check the public repo for build directions and/or build scripts.

In general, it is no different than any other Java program, except you have to match the Kindle's jar versions.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #1754
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
@knc1

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at it and come back if I fail or to report success.

I came back earlier than I thought to report success (kind of...)

On the above mentioned thread, I received another reply, suggesting to place KUAL in the Miscelleaneous collection. In fact, with the PW3; it has been enough just to create a Miscellaneous collection. It provided me with a fine workaround. Now the KUAL launcher sits comfortably in second place (tagged as DEV), right after the item Miscellaneous (Collection).

Cheers

Last edited by roger64; 02-15-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: success
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #1755
thekha
thekha began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3 2015
Hi I am having this problem of kual disappear after reading book and get back to home and it only comes back after restart my kindle
I am using pw3
thekha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified