Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kobo aura hd, trekstor pyrus maxi with texet 138 firmware
Tendencies

I'm having a question for any of the professionals wandering around: which are the tendencies for e-books (epub, mobi) formatting these days? less is more (plain and straight forward text), or eye candy (calligraphic fonts, images and all that come with it.)?
babadockia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Almost all the recent commercial ePubs I've encountered, especially from the more established publication houses, use an embedded font for the body text. Charis SIL seems comparatively common, but not common enough to be called a standard.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
babadockia
Zealot
babadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshesbabadockia can read faster than his screen refreshes

Embedded fonts have their good and bad points, special characters, special signs. I can understand this. What I was trying to find out is how the big houses make their e-books
Old 08-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about layout and design.

I can't answer your question, babadockia, but I hope someone can.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about layout and design.

I can't answer your question, babadockia, but I hope someone can.
Mac, you understood perfectly, layout, design, all of that, and thank you for the answer, but maybe someone from the inside, with more knowledge could enlight us.
Advert
Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I suggest doing a search for user Hitch, who runs an epub conversion company and who has posted many of her experiences in the epub forum and the Sigil forum.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
babadockia
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
I suggest doing a search for user Hitch, who runs an epub conversion company and who has posted many of her experiences in the epub forum and the Sigil forum.
thank you too,sir Mike