Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Nicky C
Nicky C began at the beginning.

Device: none
newsletters about your books

Hi! I'm really new to this forum and have skimmed through your threads and don't see this particular question mentioned. My apologies if it is a repeat! (BTW - You have some excellent info available here and I look forward to reading it more thoroughly in the future.)

I'm about to encounter a problem with my Nicky Charles newsletters (I send one out when I publish a new book) and am wondering how other authors deal with this, if indeed they do send out newsletters. It seemed like a neat way to do some self-promo but now I'm in a bit of a pickle!

Right now people send me fan mail, ask to be added to the mailing list and I add them to my contacts but... I'm only allowed to have 1500 contacts on hotmail and at the rate things are going I'll be out of space by the end of the summer. When I started this I never expected to have so many readers or that they'd want a newsletter! Now I'm left scratching my head. How do other author's manage this? Oh and I write as a hobby, my books are free, so I don't really want to spend a lot of money. Any ideas on what to do? The idea of saving as a word doc and then copy/pasting sounds rather daunting.

Sorry this is so long! I will try to be more sucinct in the future.

Nicky
Nicky C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Consider this: Instead of sending out e-newsletters to so many fans, you could set up a blog and tell your fans to go to that. Many authors are already going this way.

Blogs can be started for free through sites like WordPress. Blogs are supposed to be 2-way communications systems, but don't have to be. You can make entries whenever you want, regularly or on-the-fly, and you don't have to worry about sending out too many and being labeled a "spammer" (a very real possibility if you're trying to email 1500 people). Letting your fans leave comments, and engaging them in teh comments, will make you seem more accessible to them, which usually increases popularity and positively impacts sales.

Many blog services (like WordPress) include RSS feeds, so any entries you make will automatically be sent to those who subscribe. And your blog can be highly personalized, or you can use an easy-to-use template... your choice.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
If you really want to go the email route (I'm with Steven on having a blog) there are commercial mailing list services. They're fairly inexpensive and if your low volume they would be worth looking into.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Nicky C
Nicky C began at the beginning.

Thank you! I actually used an email service for my last newsletter but its the storing of the email addresses that has me puzzled. The email service will store them for the length of your subscription but I really didn't want to have to pay for months when no newsletter was being issued.

I have a website, an email address (I answer all my fan mail) and my friend and editor recently set up a fb page for me, so I think I'm fairly accessible. I suppose I could create a blog... I don't have that much to say though which was why a once or twice yearly newsletter to accompany each book seemed like a nice idea.

I will ponder the situation further. Thank you again
Nicky C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Harper Kingsley
Clone Trooper
Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harper Kingsley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How about starting a yahoo group? They sign up, then if they mark Daily Digest it just goes right to their inbox. Plus, you can keep track of who all joined your group, you can add exclusive content, etc.
Harper Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
+1 for blogs and I use Wordpress myself. It is easy enough to set up feeds and subscriptions (check their help/FAQ section). I like not having to personally manage any mailing list.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
+1 on WordPress.... or is that +2 now?
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #8
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
+1 for blogs. People can easily subscribe themselves to keep up to date and remove themselves.

If you go for e-mailing, make sure that only people that want to subscribe to the list get added and that there is an easy (preferably automated) way of readers removing themselves from the list. Have had one author recently who has seemingly just added all his e-mail contacts to a mailing list *facepalm*

Last edited by Tome Keeper; 08-11-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tome Keeper View Post
Have had one author recently who has seemingly just added all his e-mail contacts to a mailing list *facepalm*
They might use different emails for different devices (PC, cellphone, iPad, etc)... some people like to distribute their emails that way.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
email, newsletters, self-promotion