Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Angry Dislike Backpanel

I just bought my touch reader last Saturday and I already have scratches on the backpanel of the unit.
The pouch that comes with the reader is very impractical. And everytime one wants to just lay down the reader, one has to be careful that the surface you lay it on is really clean.
I really wonder why Sony is asking such high prices and then doesn't even provide a simple cover like with the PRS-505.
Also, I think that my 505 never got scratched in one full year, because the whole casing is made from aluminum. The 600s backpanel on the other side is made of plastic.

So if anyone from Sony reads this: I dislike companys sucking the last penny out of you without supplying the proper quality. It's not just about getting the most money for the shareholders. It's about people using devices/appliances like this and being satisfied with the unit and its quality.
In my opinion, the features of the 600 are better suited to my needs than the 505, but the quality of the 505 was far superior.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
If you don't like it, and feel that Sony is "sucking the last penny out of you", why don't you just return it? If I felt that way about a company or a product, I would not buy it. If I did, I would quickly get rid of it.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You need to buy the leather cover when you buy it. Yes I hate it when they do this. Just a method to squeeze out some extra cash by misrepresenting the real price. But, that's the situation. Without the cover it'll just get more scratched all the time. The neoprene pouch is just a joke.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Well, unfortunately there aren't many readers to get directly in stores here. The Sony is pretty much the only one that doesn't have to be ordered online.
The touch has features I was missing on my 505, which is another reason why I like the reader. I didn't say that I didn't like it. I just say that I think for the price they are asking, they could put in more quality or at least something appropriate to handle it (like the cover of the 505, which unfortunately doesn't fit on the touch).

Edit: I also forgot another one: Return policies here are pretty consumer unfriendly. Unless something is really broken, there is usually no way in returning stuff. I've been in NC for 3 years and was lucky to experience how good customer service is in the US compared to here.

Last edited by Mike_73; 02-04-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru

Ok DrZoidberg. Seems you just posted while I was writing. I see your point and I know that Sony isn't the only company doing this. This just doesn't make me more satisfied about how companies work.

Anyway, I still like the reader.
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Don't know what country you are in, but sorry that the return policy is bad. I guess just look for a good alternative case. There are several threads that show the virtues of various covers here on the forums.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru

Cole, I'm in Germany (I assume Cole is your first name). I've checked out some covers and I have been doing ok with 505's. But this time I'm looking into making my own cover. I love to DIY stuff. I've got some ideas so far, but I'm not completely sure how I want to do it.
I loved the easy handling of the 505's cover, but didn't like so much that the sides of the reader weren't covered, but it did still work pretty well. I'm lugging the reader around with me in a messenger bag every day. I've checked instructables.com, but there is no reader cover yet to get ideas. Once I make one, I'll probably post it there.

Take care
Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #8
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
If setting your reader down on a surface is causing it to get scratches on the back, how about setting it down on the neoprene case? I know it's one of those "so obvious it could have smacked me upside the head" kind of answers, but hey, why not? Here's my reasoning. Reader is in the case, you sit down to read, pull it out of the case, set the case down within arms reach, read a bit then decide to stop reading for a moment, set reader on top of neoprene case.

Or, am I just not getting it?
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru

Yep, been there, did that.
But sometimes, I just wander around the condo while / in between reading and forget to take the case with me, but still have to set down the reader. But yes, the obvious is often overlooked. Thanks
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Many devices have non-skid feet on them. Perhaps you can make something for the 600 (one in each corner of the back). Make the device elevated just enough so the main surface doesn't touch anything. Just a thought.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru

Hey Scion. Thanks. I think this a good start for me until I get to buy or make a cover. I would say this is really one of those "why didn't I think about that" moments.
Thanks again. By the way, I wouldn't have thought that this thread gets so long ;-)
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Mike_73
Guru

Ah, just forgot. To give a brief impression about customer service. On my way home from work I stopped by at one of the stores from the chain where I bought the reader. Pretty much like with my camera they carry the main items but leave you all alone when it gets to accesories :-(
Old 02-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
Hey Scion. Thanks. I think this a good start for me until I get to buy or make a cover. I would say this is really one of those "why didn't I think about that" moments.
Thanks again. By the way, I wouldn't have thought that this thread gets so long ;-)
You're welcome!!! Every now and then I surprise myself.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:52 PM   #14
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Many devices have non-skid feet on them. Perhaps you can make something for the 600 (one in each corner of the back). Make the device elevated just enough so the main surface doesn't touch anything. Just a thought.
Yeah, very good idea. I have an external hard drive case that came with some silicone rubber feet that are very thin, just enough to keep it from touching/sliding around. Those would be perfect.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
Mike_73
Guru

Awesome. Your hard drive case rang a bell. I just found some transparent rubber bumpers which were left over from our last kitchen cabinet extension.
This works great.