Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle2
Unhappy Kindle 2 - Possessed?

Ack! I need help, please.

My K2 has started to freak out on me.

I was reading last night, hit the left-side next page button. Nothing happened at first, and then the screen blinked. The Search line came up and a string of text (5ealm) kept appearing in the search line.

I tried hitting the back button, to get rid of the search line. This made the K2 go back to a earlier point in the book. And then the Search line came back up. And 5ealm.

I then tried restoring to factory default. The 5ealm made getting to the menu really difficult. I finally was able to get it to restart.

5ealm was still there.

I then plugged it into my computer and formatted it from there. Since this wiped everything except the K2 manual, I downloaded a different book.

Still getting 5ealm. It's not quite as bad now. It only happens every 10 page turns or so. But it's really frustrating me.

Before calling CS, I thought I'd turn to you all and see if anyone has heard of a similar problem.

-wb
Witchbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Never happened to me. Have you tried resetting the K2?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Never happened to me. Have you tried resetting the K2?
What he said. Hold the on/off switch to the right for about 15 seconds. It will re-boot.

Also, do you have any hacks loaded up? If so, I would remove them and see if that solves the problem.

Does this happen with one specific book or all of them?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If resetting doesn't work, call Kindle Support. They can troubleshoot over the phone.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
Witchbaby
Connoisseur
Witchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheeseWitchbaby can extract oil from cheese

Yep, tried resetting it. No dice.

I had the screen saver hack, but removed it before restoring to factory default.

It's happening even without books loaded on to it.

Looks like I will be calling CS. I'll post what happens, in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Thanks for the responses
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
Witchbaby
Connoisseur

Terry at Amazon CS, was super awesome.

I told him the problem and the steps I took trying to correct it. He said since I had already done a factory restore he would send me a replacement K2. No problems.

Still no idea what made it go buggy, but very happy with the resolution.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
Acextreme
Enthusiast
Acextreme began at the beginning.

Device: none
I think it's a hardware failure, most likely the keyboard controller or something...
Acextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #8
Witchbaby
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acextreme View Post
I think it's a hardware failure, most likely the keyboard controller or something...

It would be interesting to find out, CS had no idea.

I'm just glad that they sent me a new one
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
5ealm error

I have the exact same problem.

My K2 is about 3 weeks old.

If I use either of the left button I get the search string 5ealm.

I then searches through the book looking for it, sometimes taking me 20 - 30 pages ahead.

I have rung support and they are stumped.

I have not done any mods/cracks etc. Brand new.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote