Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #16
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I sent a friend's Kindle a couple of books and she was charged $0.20 per book. This leaves me to believe that Amazon is in fact charging for all whispernet transactions that are not Amazon purchases.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #17
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I sent a friend's Kindle a couple of books and she was charged $0.20 per book. This leaves me to believe that Amazon is in fact charging for all whispernet transactions that are not Amazon purchases.

cheers
Thanks leep......I think they are killing the goose here......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
"Charging for Whispernet" implies that you are getting billed for things like Internet access on the Kindle.

Otherwise, while not everyone knows about it, the charge to convert / send some documents to your Kindle via email is public knowledge.
They've always said they would charge, but never have. Now, they seem to be doing it at least in some instances.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post

Otherwise, while not everyone knows about it, the charge to convert / send some documents to your Kindle via email is public knowledge.

Amazon has *never* charged to convert a document... not even now. That's why you can still use the @free.kindle.com route. The charge is for sending the document to the Kindle via Whispernet.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post

cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Amazon has *never* charged to convert a document... not even now. That's why you can still use the @free.kindle.com route. The charge is for sending the document to the Kindle via Whispernet.
So Daffy.......what do you think? You seem to be the most knowledgeable person in regards to Amazon here.....and sirbruce also.

Is Amazon starting to charge for any whispernet transactions that are not Amazon purchases?
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So Daffy.......what do you think? You seem to be the most knowledgeable person in regards to Amazon here.....and sirbruce also.

Is Amazon starting to charge for any whispernet transactions that are not Amazon purchases?
Yes, if you are sending "non_Amazon" content to your Kindle. I've been charged myself. So far I've seen nothing for just using the browser to surf the net.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes, if you are sending "non_Amazon" content to your Kindle. I've been charged myself. So far I've seen nothing for just using the browser to surf the net.
So.............downloading the catalog from here and feedbooks to our Kindles isn't really the freebie it used to be.........if we are out somewhere, and decide to send a book from here or feedbooks.......we'll be charged. A small fee, to be sure, but charged non the less.

I understand this has always been an "experimental" feature. They never promised it would be free forever.

I am not surprised, nor shocked. Anyone who understands how business work, could see this coming, we just didn't know when.

I guess the next thing will be charging 'small fees' for browsing with whispernet.

As long as I can "drag and drop" from my computer to my K.........I'm fine.

But I can hear the howls now...........
Old 06-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
So.............downloading the catalog from here and feedbooks to our Kindles isn't really the freebie it used to be.........if we are out somewhere, and decide to send a book from here or feedbooks.......we'll be charged. A small fee, to be sure, but charged non the less.
Correct. I don't have a problem with the charge but I do have a problem with multiple small hits to my credit card. I was charged 15 cents immediately instead of the old policy of accumulating $3 (which never happened) in charges before hitting the card.

I'll be sticking to USB unless I have a large number of documents and Whispernet is more convenient.

Even with the charge, getting your daily newspaper via Calibre or Feedbooks is still cheaper than a subscription as long as the papers are combined and sent once a day.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM   #24
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I'll be sticking to USB unless I have a large number of documents and Whispernet is more convenient.
Kind of kills one of the prime features of the Kindle doesn't it?
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Kind of kills one of the prime features of the Kindle doesn't it?
Nah, not really, because my main use of it is to wirelessly download my Kindle purchases to my device with some occasional web surfing. I usually transfer by USB because I like to make my own conversions most of the time.

My charge was from playing around with the email feature of Cailbre.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM   #26
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I still like the e-mail feature of Claibre, and will probably use it. The charge looks to be for size, so the $0.45 for the MobiPocket Guide wasn't too awful.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:44 PM   #27
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Ah crap, now they charge for something like this too? Is there a Kilobyte limits?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #28
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Doesn't shock me. I never use the Whispernet unless it is to download a book I purchased at the Kindle store. All other materials go the USB route. So, because of the way I use my Kindle, this really doesn't have any impact on me, but it's still nice to know that there would be a charge if I did do any of that.

All out of the house browsing is now done on my netbook or my iPhone. I never considered the Kindle to be a good device for browsing or downloading from sites other than Amazon, so I think after trying it (just for giggles when I first got my Kindle), I decided it was a non-starter.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I think there is some confusion here.

I have not personally tested the downloading of a MOBI file via feedbooks, mobileread, etc. directly to the Kindle recently.

However, I am 99% certain that Leep was talking about EMAILING the books to her friend's Kindle. And I think daffy4u misunderstood your precise question, desertgrandma.

As far as I know, Amazon ONLY charges for EMAILING OF BOOKS WIRELESSLY VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS. This is done whether or not the books are converted, and done based on the size of the initial file sent to Amazon, not the converted file sent to the Kindle. (Which is actually lame since the charge is supposed to be based on WhisperNet usage, but whatever.)

As far as I know, Amazon DOES NOT CHARGE for any other wireless transaction. This includes not only books bought from the Amazon store, but also web browsing, AND BOOKS DOWNLOADED VIA THE WEB. So no, I do NOT believe you get charged if you download a book *directly* via the Feedbooks or Mobileread catalogs. The charge only occurs when the email transaction is involved.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #30
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
I think there is some confusion here.

I have not personally tested the downloading of a MOBI file via feedbooks, mobileread, etc. directly to the Kindle recently.

However, I am 99% certain that Leep was talking about EMAILING the books to her friend's Kindle. And I think daffy4u misunderstood your precise question, desertgrandma.

As far as I know, Amazon ONLY charges for EMAILING OF BOOKS WIRELESSLY VIA THE EMAIL ADDRESS. This is done whether or not the books are converted, and done based on the size of the initial file sent to Amazon, not the converted file sent to the Kindle. (Which is actually lame since the charge is supposed to be based on WhisperNet usage, but whatever.)

As far as I know, Amazon DOES NOT CHARGE for any other wireless transaction. This includes not only books bought from the Amazon store, but also web browsing, AND BOOKS DOWNLOADED VIA THE WEB. So no, I do NOT believe you get charged if you download a book *directly* via the Feedbooks or Mobileread catalogs. The charge only occurs when the email transaction is involved.
all right.......how about downloading some from the feedbooks or mobileread catalog thats on your K, to your K via whispernet and let us know?

Any volunteers?