Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-12-2023, 04:58 AM   #1
Martin Leclercq
Martin Leclercq began at the beginning.

Device: Apple Books
Question TOC nesting not working correct (Apple Books)

Hello Forum!

I've designed a ePub with a nested TOC. The problem I run into is that Apple Books is showing the levels incorrectly in the TOC. This is only happening with Apple Books. Other platforms seem OK as far as I can see.

The problem occurs when jumping 1 level back from a nested level. The program immediately jumps back to the beginning (main level) and not 1 level back. Thus showing the Paragraph heading in Bold. Thinking it's a chapter and not a Paragraph.

Some images to explain (sorry, it's in Dutch language):

TOC as shown in the print version:
pagina in boek.png (294.2 KB)

TOC as shown in ePub Apple Books:
png.gif inhoudsopgave via menu.png (218.9 KB)

Here is an image of the toc.xhtml code:
png.gif Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 10.45.22.png (342.6 KB)

Hope somebody knows what I'm doing wrong.

With regards,
Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pagina in boek.png
Views:	109
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	201507   Click image for larger version

Name:	inhoudsopgave via menu.png
Views:	111
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	201508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 10.45.22.png
Views:	111
Size:	342.6 KB
ID:	201509  
Martin Leclercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'd recommend not using lists, but simple nested <div>s, or level-specific classes.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If he's using epub3, the nav.xhtml file uses lists.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:56 AM   #4
Martin Leclercq

I am using ePub 3.
Old 05-13-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Edit: Skip this response, see my later responses below:

Open the epub in Sigil or Calibre's editor. Then navigate to the actual nav xhtml file. Does it exhibit the same issue? If not, then perhaps Books is finding an older incorrect toc.ncx (NCX) and displaying that instead of the NAV. In addition, the book may have an html toc xhtml file that was meant to be read by the user just like book content that is separate from the NAV and/or NCX that might be the issue. If so try loading that file in Sigil or Calibre's editor to verify it is correct.

If all possible sources for the info shown in the reader's TOC window are correct, then you know the bug is in the reader's code that parses the NAV or NCX.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-13-2023 at 12:24 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did a quick web search and found this bug report from 2016.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7419388

It had no answer. It appears to be exactly the same bug you are asking about. So my guess is this is a very long standing bug in how Books builds its toc from the NAV that Apple has no interest in fixing.

You might try simplifying it to be a 2-level level or just a 1-level NAV, then create a non-NAV xhtml table of contents to show the user that is more complete.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-13-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, I personally never use Apple Books.app as it is non-standard (does not meet the epub3 spec) and has bugs. On Apple Desktops I use many different e-readers including the latest Thorium Reader, the Kobo Desktop reader, and ADE 4.x. Calibre's reader is quite good also.

On iOS devices, I strongly recommend the Bluefire Reader as the most compliant e-reader available with the Kobo Reader next.

Hope something here helps.
Old 05-17-2023, 07:21 AM   #8
Martin Leclercq

Hello KevinH,

Thanks for the tips! That old bug is exactly what I'm running into. Thanks for sharing.
I'll try the other readers and see if the TOC works correct. I also try to simplify the TOC.

Tags
epub, nested, toc