Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #31
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
Bookeen replied to my email and they're saying they WILL replace it.... just as soon as Bush comes out with his biography.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify, this is what the boot screen looks like (apologies for the lousy camera-phone pic!). Although you can't tell in the picture, the "floor" behind the Gen3 picture is a collage of little pictures of books. The lovely Mr. CLinton's picture (you can just make it out in the photo) is the bottom left picture on the screen of the Gen3 that's shown on the boot screen.
I've found that to take a decent photo of a Vizplex eink screen, you should have a camera that has manual focus. Auto focus doesn't always work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 AM   #33
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
Bookeen replied to my email and they're saying they WILL replace it.... just as soon as Bush comes out with his biography.
I dunno... Will the thumbnail be comprehensible? I mean, does crayon show up that well and all?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
I think it's not as trivial as it may seem. To make the splash screen easily exchangeable they'd have to put it into the file system so you could overwrite the file (as opposed to having to exchange the geaphic inside the firmware and reflash the device, which would not be a desireable process). If they put it into the file system the embedded linux would already have been booted (or there would be no file system) to access the file so you couldn't really use it as a splash screen (except maybe for loading the boo reader).

I'm not sure how the device excatly works and there are two different splash screens so one might in fact be a splash screen used while embdedded linux is already booted and while waiting for the library to load. Problem is that the one screen the people here want to change is the first one and that one is unlikely to be easily exchangeable.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
OK - I'll buy that as long as they don't use Blair
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2008, 10:15 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Who is Mr Bush writing a biography of?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #37
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
His father, maybe??
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #38
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffi View Post
I think it's not as trivial as it may seem. To make the splash screen easily exchangeable they'd have to put it into the file system so you could overwrite the file (as opposed to having to exchange the geaphic inside the firmware and reflash the device, which would not be a desireable process). If they put it into the file system the embedded linux would already have been booted (or there would be no file system) to access the file so you couldn't really use it as a splash screen (except maybe for loading the boo reader).

I'm not sure how the device excatly works and there are two different splash screens so one might in fact be a splash screen used while embdedded linux is already booted and while waiting for the library to load. Problem is that the one screen the people here want to change is the first one and that one is unlikely to be easily exchangeable.
I would think that it could be made to be no more difficult than changing the desktop image in Windows. All it would take is to have a specifically named file.pointed to by the boot program, that you could replace.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #39
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Since it's a boot image, it has to be accessible before the kernel starts, so it cannot be "just a file" in the filesystem. It seems it is placed into a separate partition in the flash.
It should be possible to patch the firmware update binary to change the image.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #40
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Since it's a boot image, it has to be accessible before the kernel starts, so it cannot be "just a file" in the filesystem. It seems it is placed into a separate partition in the flash.
It should be possible to patch the firmware update binary to change the image.
Doesn't grub use splash images on the file system? Also the boot image that boot the kernel is on the file system.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #41
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I nearly said autobiography, but that would imply he wrote it himself.. and I don't think too many people would want a book written in crayon.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I nearly said autobiography, but that would imply he wrote it himself.. and I don't think too many people would want a book written in crayon.
I don't like Mr. Bush's policies (especially when it comes to the Iraq war), but neither do I regard him as unintelligent. He flew fighter jets in the National Guard as a young man; they don't let idiots fly fighters. I think you're being a little unjust on him.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:24 PM   #43
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
I don't like Mr. Bush's policies (especially when it comes to the Iraq war), but neither do I regard him as unintelligent. He flew fighter jets in the National Guard as a young man; they don't let idiots fly fighters. I think you're being a little unjust on him.
No, *I* was being unjust to President Shrub. However, this is a forum about the Bookeen Cybook Gen3 and I won't pursue this further.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #44
Halk
Fanatic

Quote:
There's questions over preferential treatment towards him, he apparently had poor qualifying scores, and arrests (but no charges), and despite others waiting years, he was accepted on the day he applied.

Clearly though he would not use a crayon to write his memoirs, I was joking.

This is probably not the best place to debate his suitability as President, nor his policies though!
Old 03-21-2008, 01:25 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
GWB makes a fool of himself every time he gives a speech and he's making a fool of the citizens of the USA. The only reason he become president the first time around was because he had better lawyers. Not because it was fair or just or even legal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote