Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen > Gen3 Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's not a book; it's a picture of a Gen3 showing its library screen, and it's one of the books in the library in the picture. Did you not look at the link that I posted, showing the picture?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 AM   #17
Zarkov
Zarkov began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
As someone new here, and potentially looking at the Gen3 - surely the book can be deleted ? - or is that a daft question ?
It’s actually only a sample of the book and it can be deleted quite easily. The apparent problem is the boot-up screen of the Cybook which can’t be changed. Which displays this picture. http://www.bookeen.com/Pics/productI...ookPackage.jpg . The book “My life”, By Bill Clinton is displayed in the bottom left in all it’s 1cmx3cm (0.4”x1.1”), 4 greyscale glory.

It’s displayed for an entire 15 seconds or so, during the start up sequence. I can’t really imagine the level of political polarization needed in order to find this annoying. Then again it would be nice if you could add custom images.
Zarkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 AM   #18
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's not a book; it's a picture of a Gen3 showing its library screen, and it's one of the books in the library in the picture. Did you not look at the link that I posted, showing the picture?
Yes, I did see the link - but it was not obvious that it was only a picture. The screen says "Library", with book-cover pictures, title in text and publisher.

My immediate thought was it was a list of books contained in the Gen3, no-where does it say otherwise ? for the clarification ............
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:34 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't particularly dislike Bill Clinton, neither his person as a politician nor his face (I don't say I like him either). But seeing him everytime I switch on the device is just annoying after the first 10 times, I guess. It would be the same were it a picture of any other person, especially if it cannot be changed; having just some objects, abstract drawings or a landscape would be a bit different, though.

By the way, just to be clear. When booting up, the screen shows the whole picture already mentioned, i.e., a picture of the Cybook itself showing the library (not the real library you have, but the "preset" library).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #20
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I don't particularly dislike Bill Clinton, neither his person as a politician nor his face (I don't say I like him either). But seeing him everytime I switch on the device is just annoying after the first 10 times, I guess. It would be the same were it a picture of any other person, especially if it cannot be changed; having just some objects, abstract drawings or a landscape would be a bit different, though.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #21
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Didn't mean to stir everyone up. Just want to know if it were possible to change. I did suggest to Bookeen that this would be an ideal place to allow customers to "personalize" their Cybook - perhaps with their name & address in the event of the Cybook being inadvertently left behind somewhere.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #22
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I sent Bookeen this feature request and this is the response I got back:

Quote:
There is nothing planned at the moment concerning the homepage screen. However, this remark has been recurrent and our team is trying its best to consider your remarks and suggestions.
I'd love to be able to pick out a nice landscape or abstract to see instead... one can hope
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
...and having worked with a number of software developers in my career, that usually means "no".

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #24
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
Being a software developer, it may seem "I'd like to add this too, if I manage to squeeze it between two highly neccessary features the bosses want".
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:27 AM   #25
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
Being a software developer, it may seem "I'd like to add this too, if I manage to squeeze it between two highly neccessary features the bosses want".
How difficult can it be to change ?
Surely it's just an image -
They could just replace it with a Bookeen logo (just for starters ?)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To clarify, this is what the boot screen looks like (apologies for the lousy camera-phone pic!). Although you can't tell in the picture, the "floor" behind the Gen3 picture is a collage of little pictures of books. The lovely Mr. CLinton's picture (you can just make it out in the photo) is the bottom left picture on the screen of the Gen3 that's shown on the boot screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gen3-Boot-Screen.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	11220  
Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify, this is what the boot screen looks like (apologies for the lousy camera-phone pic!). Although you can't tell in the picture, the "floor" behind the Gen3 picture is a collage of little pictures of books. The lovely Mr. CLinton's picture (you can just make it out in the photo) is the bottom left picture on the screen of the Gen3 that's shown on the boot screen.

I *LOVE* that image! Yep, time to get a new cellphone camera!

Ummm... as far as the shot of Clinto on the "My Life" cover, it ain't that big and it doesn't stay long enough to be an annoyance - to me. But then, I'm not one of those easily-annoyed Republicans - and despite not being a Democrat, I respect President Clinton's achievements.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The camera's actually quite nice for outdoor shots - it just struggles rather in not very bright indoor lighting, such as I took that with. Plus the fact that I had to take the picture while the boot screen was visible, which meant that I was holding the phone one-handed at the time, hence the vibration and blurred picture.

It serves its purpose, though, I think, which was simply to clarify the somewhat confusing point that the Gen3's boot screen shows a picture of a Gen3 .
Old 03-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Ummm... as far as the shot of Clinto on the "My Life" cover, it ain't that big and it doesn't stay long enough to be an annoyance - to me. But then, I'm not one of those easily-annoyed Republicans - and despite not being a Democrat, I respect President Clinton's achievements.
As I said, that's not the only reason to be annoyed. I'm not American and I don't have anything particular against Mr. Clinton, certainly much less than against other US presidents I've known. And yet it annoys me (not too much, but it does) to have the face of some person not of my choice on my screen everytime I turn my Cybook on.

Please, let's not turn this into a political arena, it's just about being able to choose the startup screen or at least having something neutral, and real people's faces are not neutral, even if they were unknown people.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #30
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
As I said, that's not the only reason to be annoyed. I'm not American and I don't have anything particular against Mr. Clinton, certainly much less than against other US presidents I've known. And yet it annoys me (not too much, but it does) to have the face of some person not of my choice on my screen everytime I turn my Cybook on.

Please, let's not turn this into a political arena, it's just about being able to choose the startup screen or at least having something neutral, and real people's faces are not neutral, even if they were unknown people.

I'd agree with you that being able to choose one's boot-up splash-screen would be a nice feature. I'd like to be able to choose one of my bird shots and then overlay the Bookeen and Cybook logo - as well as a "This is the property of Derek Benner" statement.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote