Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #1
luckycharms
Connoisseur
luckycharms began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, PRS-650, iPad 1, iPhone 4S
screen sometimes sticks (doesn't update)

hi folks,

just got my prs-650, and i'm using calibre 0.7 to manage it. Now and again, the reader's screen will "stick". For example, trying to click on the "home" tab, the screen will stay in it's previous state. I have to sleep and wake-up the device to get the screen to show what it should be showing. Or, sometimes when i try to turn the page in a pdf, it will stay on that previous page until i sleep and wake-up the device.

The "state" of the screen changes properly. For example, when i click on "home", but the screen doesn't change the display, it still responds to the touchscreen as if it were displaying the home screen (e.g. clicking on a book, or the apps tab, etc).

I'm wondering if this might be from having some improperly formatted books on the device? I downloaded some of the from bittorrent, etc. I'm not sure. Anyone else have a similar problem? Any ideas about tracking it down?

thanks!
luckycharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
I haven't run across that specific problem, but glitchy behavior is often corrected with a soft reset. Use a paperclip (or an earring) to press and release the reset button (next to the micro USB port) then slide the power switch to reboot the reader.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
luckycharms
Connoisseur

I've done both soft and hard resets, but the issue persists. anyone else?

I'm wondering if perhaps reformatting the epub files in Calibre would clean them up? Any idea how else one can "clean up" or otherwise check epub files for adherence to standards?

it'd be nice if there were some sort of error log to track down these issues.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #4
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
When I first started using my 650 it locked once or twice when I accidentally did a double tap to open a book instead of a single tap.

I believe that this is a known issue with the touch edition series.

Now that I have developed the habit of using double taps only for notes and dictionary lookups, and single taps for pretty much everything else, the issue has not repeated itself.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
luckycharms
Connoisseur

just wanted to bump this to see if anyone else is having these issues...
Advert