Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
ninjahsteve
ninjahsteve began at the beginning.

Device: Acer A500
Help! Can't get content server to work with Companion!

I just bought the Calibre Companion software because it was exactly what I was looking for, but can't get it to work with the Calibre content server. The connect via wireless works fine but I want the ability to browse my library using the content server.

I am running windows 7 and can access the Calibre content server locally on my computer and on my tablet it says that it connects, but it doesn't display any items and when I look at the Calibre content server access log it doesn't appear to have received a connection.

Any suggestions?
ninjahsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:07 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjahsteve View Post
I just bought the Calibre Companion software because it was exactly what I was looking for, but can't get it to work with the Calibre content server. The connect via wireless works fine but I want the ability to browse my library using the content server.

I am running windows 7 and can access the Calibre content server locally on my computer and on my tablet it says that it connects, but it doesn't display any items and when I look at the Calibre content server access log it doesn't appear to have received a connection.

Any suggestions?
Are both devices (content-server PC and tablet) using WiFi?

I noticed a connection issue between CC and my laptop (the server) if the Laptop was Wifi. Note Firefox on the Same Tablet connected just fine (same IP and port).
I plugged the network cable in, adjusted the IP and JOY.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Any suggestions?
The first thing to check is whether you can "see" the content server from your device using Chrome. Use a URL something like http://192.168.x.y:port/ where "x" and "y" are specific to your network (the IP address of the machine running calibre) and "port" is the number you configured in calibre when setting up the content server. If this doesn't fail, then we need to look deeper into CC.

If it does fail, which is what I expect, then you need to look at your firewall and antivirus settings. Probably one of them is blocking calibre's content server from starting. ESET is known to cause problems (for example see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207074).

Let us know how things turn out.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
ninjahsteve
ninjahsteve began at the beginning.

Device: Acer A500
Thanks for the suggestions folks, I figured out the issue. For anyone else who has a similar problem, my issue was there was already another application using port 8080(sabnzbd) and so the tablet was actually connecting to the port just not displaying anything because it was the wrong application. If I start the connect server from the command line using a different port it works fine.

Does anyone know if there is a way to start the content server via the GUI using a different port?
ninjahsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
When you setup the content server, one of the options is to choose which port to use.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to start the content server via the GUI using a different port?
Glad you got it working, and thanks for letting us know.

Continuing what eschwartz said, go to Preferences -> Sharing over the net -> Server port (the top line).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote